CGC on Marty Smith's America the Podcast

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Holding ANYONE to a prediction about last year made prior to the pandemic is disingenuous and dishonest to the spirit of what was said.
I don't see how I'm holding him to anything? I do not control his pay, he made no enforcable guarantee to me. Just pointed out he was wrong. Its okay to be wrong sometimes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how I'm holding him to anything? I do not control his pay, he made no enforcable guarantee to me. Just pointed out he was wrong. Its okay to be wrong sometimes.
Come on, you're better than that. I've seen your posts. Pointing out someone was wrong about a prediction about last year made before COVID19? That's beyond silly, to the point of ridiculous. You really want to die on that hill?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Come on, you're better than that. I've seen your posts. Pointing out someone was wrong about a prediction about last year made before COVID19? That's beyond silly, to the point of ridiculous. You really want to die on that hill?
Why are you so upset about this?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Projecting much? Nothing I’ve said indicates being upset. Incredulity is closer to the truth.

I just have never understood why apparently smart people are stubbornly willing to ignore the truth in front of them instead of rethinking their position.
What truth am I ignoring?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Projecting much? Nothing I’ve said indicates being upset. Incredulity is closer to the truth.

I just have never understood why apparently smart people are stubbornly willing to ignore the truth in front of them instead of rethinking their position.
What are you having such trouble believing?

What truth do you think I'm ignoring?

You and I have different opinions, everyone here knows that. You think CGC should be immune to criticism and jump to defend him at every opportunity or perceived slight, and I think as an extremely highly paid public figure who heads our football program he is absolutely open to criticism. And that's okay. It's a message board, people can and should have differing opinions. The pot needs stirring, echo chambers are stupid.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What are you having such trouble believing?

What truth do you think I'm ignoring?

You and I have different opinions, everyone here knows that. You think CGC should be immune to criticism and jump to defend him at every opportunity or perceived slight, and I think as an extremely highly paid public figure who heads our football program he is absolutely open to criticism. And that's okay. It's a message board, people can and should have differing opinions. The pot needs stirring, echo chambers are stupid.
You are either trolling or missing the point.

To be clear, earlier you said:
But he was wrong so its probably not a good thing to try again.
Why should he, or anyone, not try making a prediction again in light of last year's unanticipated circumstances? Is it your position that every writer, coach and prognosticator should factor in pandemics when making predictions, and that was your belief prior to 2020? If that was not meant as a troll or to be inflammatory, I would be interested in your thoughts so that I and others can understand if you are here for a serious conversation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Why should he, or anyone, not try making a prediction again in light of last year's unanticipated circumstances?
He can, but it will draw attention and if he is wrong again and again it will eventually not matter so much as to why he was wrong but that he's just wrong a lot. Better to keep his mouth shut than making bold predictions and setting himself up for failure.

If someone tells you they are a great driver, but they've been in 10 accidents in 5 years, are you going to hand them keys to your car? Even if every accident was determined to not be their fault by the courts, the trend says they must either have absolutely horrific luck or they are not a good defensive driver. Either way, I don't want them operating my vehicle.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
He can, but it will draw attention and if he is wrong again and again it will eventually not matter so much as to why he was wrong but that he's just wrong a lot. Better to keep his mouth shut than making bold predictions and setting himself up for failure.

If someone tells you they are a great driver, but they've been in 10 accidents in 5 years, are you going to hand them keys to your car? Even if every accident was determined to not be their fault by the courts, the trend says they must either have absolutely horrific luck or they are not a good defensive driver. Either way, I don't want them operating my vehicle.

Well he's operating this vehicle for the foreseeable future whether you like it or not

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Are you intentionally ignoring the circumstances of 2020 or just simply not responding to that context when asked?

Were you right about everything that occurred in 2020? If not, should we trust your opinion on this topic here? This is an unfair question but is the same premise that everyone is challenging you on, and you have yet to acknowledge.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Are you intentionally ignoring the circumstances of 2020 or just simply not responding to that context when asked?

Were you right about everything that occurred in 2020? If not, should we trust your opinion on this topic here? This is an unfair question but is the same premise that everyone is challenging you on.
2020 was a car accident that was not really his fault, I guess you didn't get the analogy.

Not really sure how that's an unfair question, unless you thought it was some kind of "gotcha". No you shouldn't trust my opinion, do you trust the opinions of all strangers on the internet? You should look into what's being discussed, do your due diligence in finding out what's happened, and draw your own conclusions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe how hooked-in to arguing we get on some threads. An off-hand comment can turn loose a pack attack and a response to one post can get taken out of context and create whole new lines of defense, attack and counter attack.

There are some life and death discussions to be had out there but this is not one of them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
2020 was a car accident that was not really his fault, I guess you didn't get the analogy.

Not really sure how that's an unfair question, unless you thought it was some kind of "gotcha". No you shouldn't trust my opinion, do you trust the opinions of all strangers on the internet? You should look into what's being discussed, do your due diligence in finding out what's happened, and draw your own conclusions.
That's the point. I suspect most interpret the question as a gotcha, and that's why everyone thinks your opinion on this topic is a "gotcha".

I understand your analogy, but you lumped it into an example of "10 accidents". That analogy doesn't make sense. Collins made one prediction in 2020, and you concluded that he should never make a prediction again.

To your last point, nearly everyone else looked at what's being discussed and is drawing the conclusion that the context of Collins' single prediction matters. You did the same, allegedly, and arrived at an extreme conclusion on the other end. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the accompanying delivery has been suspect and yea, as a result it'll cause others to not trust a specific stranger on the internet.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Better to keep his mouth shut than making bold predictions and setting himself up for failure.
How is predicting we make a bowl game before Covid hit a bold prediction.

We had 2 gimme games plus Duke. Then we just needed to win 3 more out of the 9.

This was also assuming our true freshman QB and young team would’ve had all Spring, Summer, and Fall to prepare for the season.

If he said we would win 10 games, that would’ve been bold. 6 wins is not what a normal person would call bold.
The mental gymnastics some of y'all are doing to justify
Had to drop this here from another thread. It’s impressive how hard you’re trying to make your point seem rational.

Especially when you can’t find the direct quote or prove the context in which is was said.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I understand your analogy, but you lumped it into an example of "10 accidents". That analogy doesn't make sense. Collins made one prediction in 2020, and you concluded that he should never make a prediction again.

To your last point, nearly everyone else looked at what's being discussed and is drawing the conclusion that the context of Collins' single prediction matters. You did the same, allegedly, and arrived at an extreme conclusion on the other end. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the accompanying delivery has been suspect and yea, as a result it'll cause others to not trust a specific stranger on the internet.
For someone in Collin's position, I think trying to predict the future, especially on something like football, is a fool's errand. If he predicts low win totals at this point, he looks bad as a coach. If he predicts bowl game or better, he's setting himself up to potentially look bad later. Better to just focus on how we are getting better, underpromise (or make no promise in this case) and over deliver.

I don't think I drew the extreme opposite conclusion - I said he's not really at fault for being wrong about last year, which seems to be pretty in line with the opinion of those of you replying to me. I just think he should avoid doing that again - the pandemic is still going on, afterall ;)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

This was also assuming our true freshman QB and young team would’ve had all Spring, Summer, and Fall to prepare for the season.

If he said we would win 10 games, that would’ve been bold. 6 wins is not what a normal person would call bold.

Had to drop this here from another thread. It’s impressive how hard you’re trying to make your point seem rational.

Especially when you can’t find the direct quote or prove the context in which is was said.
Collins has not won a gimme game at Tech yet. He needs to do that first before they become gimmes. The prediction was at the end of 2019, where we lost to Duke and the Citadel, but suddenly those were just gimmes for the next year?

You are more than welcome to look for the quote if you think you can find it or it will help your argument. I'm not going to spend hours searching the internet for a specific quote with no unique key words said by a man who spends a whole hell of a lot of time talking, when others have already agreed it was said.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

We only had one gimme game on the original schedule. Last years original schedule was actually pretty brutal. Tougher than this years. We benefitted from the schedule change. I tend to agree though that predicting 6 wins isn't ever really that bold unless you are Kansas.