CGC on Marty Smith's America the Podcast

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Terrible interview. Same old same old. Too much positivity.

Is that what some of you want to hear? Seems like it
Why do you want hear negativity? turn on the any news channel for that. Rather someone blow sunshine up my arse than spiked rods.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Terrible interview. Same old same old. Too much positivity.

Is that what some of you want to hear? Seems like it
lol. I love his positivity. I would just rather about hear how positive he is about football related things. That's not really a knock on him. This interview just lacked any substance. Not a single player on our team was mentioned. Not a single question about the upcoming season was asked. In a 30+ minute interview. NIL is the big topic right now in college sports. Maybe ask him about that and how we are approaching it. At this point we understand that he likes Waffle House. Ask him something else.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
lol. I love his positivity. I would just rather about hear how positive he is about football related things. That's not really a knock on him. This interview just lacked any substance. Not a single player on our team was mentioned. Not a single question about the upcoming season was asked. In a 30+ minute interview. NIL is the big topic right now in college sports. Maybe ask him about that and how we are approaching it. At this point we understand that he likes Waffle House. Ask him something else.
He did talk about NIL. He talked about building a program. If you read between the lines, he's saying it takes time to build relationships, recruit the necessary talent, build them up in the weight room and on the field, etc....

He's not going to come out and starting predicting win totals and stuff like that. What coach does? He's selling his program and vision and doing a damn good job of it. Just see what level of recruit he has visiting and interested and he's starting to win more and more of those battles too. I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't be more thrilled about what he's done so far given what he took over and having to recruit through a pandemic. The wins will come if we show some patience and stick with the vision.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Some of yall should know by now what we are getting with an interview with CGC. And at some point you have to decide to take it or leave it

Just like the previous coach, you knew what you were getting in a presser. And whether you liked it or not, you had to take it or leave it.

Are all fanbases this bonkers or just ours? I need to know lol

slugboy

Staff member
Some of yall should know by now what we are getting with an interview with CGC. And at some point you have to decide to take it or leave it

Just like the previous coach, you knew what you were getting in a presser. And whether you liked it or not, you had to take it or leave it.

Are all fanbases this bonkers or just ours? I need to know lol
Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He did talk about NIL. He talked about building a program. If you read between the lines, he's saying it takes time to build relationships, recruit the necessary talent, build them up in the weight room and on the field, etc....

He's not going to come out and starting predicting win totals and stuff like that. What coach does? He's selling his program and vision and doing a damn good job of it. Just see what level of recruit he has visiting and interested and he's starting to win more and more of those battles too. I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't be more thrilled about what he's done so far given what he took over and having to recruit through a pandemic. The wins will come if we show some patience and stick with the vision.
I wasn't criticizing anything Collins said. I would just like to see interviewers ask him something about GT football every once in a while. I don't need him to give win predictions. Ask him about the progression of some of our younger players. Ask him about the transfers and which ones he is excited about. Ask him if he thinks we are in a better position in the kicking game. There are a few million football related questions to ask that might give some insight into the team and build some excitement for the coming season. Some of this is probably on me. When the first question is about his philosophical approach to life I probably should have bailed.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Brilliant! No one has said that before anywhere! What an insightful comment! Jeez man. It’s a great interview that paints Tech and Collins in a positive light to a national audience. Can’t you just enjoy it on its own?

Yeah and that's all these interviews are for. Marty doesn't cover Tech specifically, so I doubt he wants to hear details about the depth chart and gameplan. CGC is always an entertaining and energetic interview.

Which is why he gets invited onto national platforms at all when our team isn't very good yet.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like you were down on CPJ also. Just wondering, is there anything you like about GT football or its coaches?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Seems like you were down on CPJ also. Just wondering, is there anything you like about GT football or its coaches?
You didn’t ask this to me but generally when people don’t like a coach it is a code for this guy isn’t winning enough to suit me. I doubt people on the Bama or Clemson boards spend so much time on the personality of their respective coaches.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Discussion points:

- Collins loves his players. About 10 minutes of this.
- What Collins learned from other coaches (Saban, Gailey, others). Pretty generic answers.
- Some discussion of Collins as a player.
- He was asked about what he faced when he came here. He has a pretty safe answer for that now.
- Discussion about how much Collins loves Atlanta and his upbringing here.
- Lots of positivity throughout.
This is a good summary. The recurring themes had to do with “love” and “being genuine” and the “palpable feel” of this in the program and up and down the coaching staff.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a good summary. The recurring themes had to do with “love” and “being genuine” and the “palpable feel” of this in the program and up and down the coaching staff.
Everyone knows the wins and Xs and Os are still an unknown. But Collins is an expert at networking. This interview, the support he gets from the ACC network, positives GT is getting from 247 Sports and Rivals, etc. all play into getting both High School coaches and recruits attention. All of this has bought him some time. Obviously in the next year or two that has to translate into wins or the goodwill will go away. The other big issue with progressing our program is the size of our fanbase. It is tough to recruit against SEC schools when they fill 80K+ stadiums and we get 10K to 15K open seats in a smaller stadiums. That is where the wins have to happen to start getting additional fans.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC seems to be making the podcast rounds, he's on 2 for 1 below around the 33:00 mark

2 for 1

Gets a bit into football, talks about the incoming transfers, a bit about Sims. Nothing too specific or groundbreaking...but very positive of course.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't criticizing anything Collins said. I would just like to see interviewers ask him something about GT football every once in a while. I don't need him to give win predictions. Ask him about the progression of some of our younger players. Ask him about the transfers and which ones he is excited about. Ask him if he thinks we are in a better position in the kicking game. There are a few million football related questions to ask that might give some insight into the team and build some excitement for the coming season. Some of this is probably on me. When the first question is about his philosophical approach to life I probably should have bailed.
I agree with you. I want those things too, especially if we'll get a meaningful answer (we won't).

That said, this was a national interview. No one outside of our fanbase really cares about those things you mention. Smith intentionally took an angle that emphasized something unique, or at least nontraditional, that better suits the 95% of the audience that couldn't care less whether we will make FG this year or not.

Our local media, or the ESPN ACC-dedicated reporters, will push into the roster stuff over the next 60 days. Since you're not new to this, I'm confident that you already know we'll hear the uncreative questions from our local reporters asking for an opinion of every individual player based on position group/position coach. "Oh, it's Coach Coleman today. Let's go down the roster card and ask about Domineck, Ivey, Kennard, Clayton, Collins, etc."
  • Q: "What freshman has caught your eye?" A: "They're all stepping up. See a lot of good things out of everybody."
  • Q: "What does xyz freshman need to do to see the field?" A: "More consistency."
  • Q: "You're old now. Are you a leader?" A: "I like to lead by example"
  • Q: "Coach, how important is it that your team is healthy and that you have more depth?" A: "Not important at all. We hate depth." (just checking if you're still reading?)
Most of what we learn will be when Toe Meets Leather.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You didn’t ask this to me but generally when people don’t like a coach it is a code for this guy isn’t winning enough to suit me. I doubt people on the Bama or Clemson boards spend so much time on the personality of their respective coaches.
Well, coaches are paid to win, after all. As for your last point, do you know any coach in the history of the sport who has been analyzed and critiqued like Dabo Swinney? And that is only a tad hyperventilating. (Saban has no personality, so he can't be included.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, coaches are paid to win, after all.
I have no issue with this and it is as it should be. What I take issue with is the mean girl, People magazine style critique of the their choice of words, clothing styles, relationships with the media, etc. Honestly I feel like the criticism of our current and last 2 coaches were based on the superficial rather than the substantial.

Sure, Dabo was picked apart relentlessly. Based on what? His personality. I remember the phrase "Dabo the clown" being used with impunity. When was the last time you saw that? Remember people who wrote off Josh Pastner on this board and others? i just don't see the need for superficial or premature evaluation but I suppose that I am in the minority. After all, these guys are getting "paid the big bucks" and "we cannot settle for mediocrity" and 'we are playing big boy sports here". Etc. Etc.