Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When will you guys accept the simple fact that Notre Dame is a one team conference. I don’t like it either but I’ve accepted the reality. They’ll get in the playoffs in any year they are decent because they are the largest national fanbase and have their own network. The playoffs are a TV production and TV will give us the teams people want to see win and lose. Bama and Notre Dame are clearly the top draws because they draw huge numbers from people who root for them and people who hate them.

You’ll see how it plays out when the polls start doing things we‘ve never seen before next year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. This could be one of the few points of contention between SEC and Big10 - AQs vs At Large. Who knows. I still don't think the SEC or Big10 want to add more teams.
I’m kind of with you on that… I think the BIG really just wants one more (ND) but might take two to get there. I don’t know if the SEC really wants anymore at all, but might take 1-2 if stars align.
It won’t be the debilitating raid on the ACC that many predicted in any case.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Finebaum was complaining about the SEC and big 10 rigging the playoffs to get automatic byes and if I heard him right automatic bids regardless of records. I caught the tail end of the conversation with him and sports illustrated Pat Forde and both of ‘em weren’t happy with the SEC or Big 10 and what both conferences is up to. It is bs if it’s what they’re doing. It may end up just big 10 and SEC teams that get in the playoffs.

Attached is the article by Pat Forde of SI concerning the proposed CFP. He obviously has some strong feeling about the situation. He goes into the issue of the possibility of the SEC and B1G breaking from the NCAA. He also covers the two automatic byes for the SEC and B1G.

Apparently, this was the article being discussed on the Finebaum Show.

Attachments

• Gluttony by the Big Ten and SEC Would Be Catastrophic for College Sports - Sports Illustrated.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Attached is the article by Pat Forde of SI concerning the proposed CFP. He obviously has some strong feeling about the situation. He goes into the issue of the possibility of the SEC and B1G breaking from the NCAA. He also covers the two automatic byes for the SEC and B1G.

Thanks, that's a good article.

After reading this and realizing that appeasing the bullies never works in the long run, I'm starting to think that letting the SEC and B1G simply break off and form their own league might not be such a bad idea. Especially if they weren't allowed to play teams operating under NCAA governance. It would eliminate a lot of playoff drama, and the SEC and B1G might discover that their ratings and rankings suffer without the patsies to pad their W/L records.

I still think the rest of D1 college football needs to have their own separate governance since the NCAA continues to fail badly, and ACC leadership needs to start being proactive instead of reactive.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I continue to fail to understand, in a limited playoff, why anything other than a conference champ is needed. If you want 8 teams, make it the five P5 champs, the top three G5 champs or independent. This presumes the PAC will at some point resurrect.
^^^^^
The point of the playoffs is to determine the best team in the nation and if you didn't win your conference, you most probably ain't deserving to be named the best team in the country. Two at large play-in teams seems enough to me.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
^^^^^
The point of the playoffs is to determine the best team in the nation

As has been pointed out several times, the point of the playoffs is to make boatloads and boatloads of new money. Money which will be spent to cover the additional cost of labor now that players have legal & moral leverage. Cause & effect.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow

Sounds like to me Texas is rubbing off on the SEC and big 10, they think they’re better than everybody else when it’s all the teams that make college football fun. Texas is the reason Nebraska got out of the big 12 they were greedy and wanted to hog all the money. I like a variety of teams from different conferences Penn St and Ga Tech are just my favorites. It’s also fun not liking teams 😂

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
^^^^^
The point of the playoffs is to determine the best team in the nation and if you didn't win your conference, you most probably ain't deserving to be named the best team in the country. Two at large play-in teams seems enough to me.
That's the problem. The CFP is NOT about determining the best team in the nation. It has been explicitly stated that it is about providing the best match-ups for TV.

BTW, I agree. I think you have no business playing for the championship if you don't win your conference. I'm all for creating 10-team conferences, where you play everyone head-to-head. 3 OOC games should cover rivalries, etc. Then a playoff with the winner of each conference. There's your best team (Champion). The problem with this is it's not about determining the best team. It's about creating matchups that will drive TV revenue.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That's the problem. The CFP is NOT about determining the best team in the nation. It has been explicitly stated that it is about providing the best match-ups for TV.

BTW, I agree. I think you have no business playing for the championship if you don't win your conference. I'm all for creating 10-team conferences, where you play everyone head-to-head. 3 OOC games should cover rivalries, etc. Then a playoff with the winner of each conference. There's your best team (Champion). The problem with this is it's not about determining the best team. It's about creating matchups that will drive TV revenue.
College Football has never had a method to determine a true National Champion. The revised CFP simply gives more teams an opportunity to win the CFP. With Conference sizes between 16 and 18 teams and at most teams playing 9 conference games claiming to be a conference champion is no more valid than saying the CFP winner is not the National Champion.

That has been the case in co,,ege basketball for decades. The Men's Basketball NCAAT is extraordinarily popular. Of course having Bracket contests pulls in many millions of people who are not college basketball fans.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

I agree, but then they shouldn't call the winner the national champion. Lets call it what it really is:
It is a playoff sold to football fans as a playoff to determine a national champion and corrupted by big money to provide the most entertaining and financially rewarding matchups as possible.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but then they shouldn't call the winner the national champion. Lets call it what it really is:
It is a playoff sold to football fans as a playoff to determine a national champion and corrupted by big money to provide the most entertaining and financially rewarding matchups as possible.
Can I get an AMEN?

What they are doing is staging a money-making exhibition. But let’s not fool ourselves, the driver behind it is the notion of determining a champ.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No argument here.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Many of y'all are acting like we're going backwards from where things used to be. The BCS was an improvement over the old system in trying to determine a national champion. The 4 team CFP was far superior than the BCS. The 12 team playoff is going to be exponentially better than the 4 team CFP. I don't think there will be much difference between 12 teams and 14 teams playoff for determining a champion, but it will generate more money.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
i guess Tech needs to relinquish their national championships then.
Why? There was no guarantee of a championship attached to the Citrus Bowl? That was an exhibition game (meaningful, no doubt) that was but a data point in the pollsters’ eyes… as we saw in the AP poll.

Come on guys. I have no issue if the polls use the 12-team money extravaganza as data for a decision, but the understanding is the winner is the champ. This was implemented to solve to bowl problem, not emulate it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why? There was no guarantee of a championship attached to the Citrus Bowl?
Because Polls were a BS way to determine a champion. There is no way to determine one with 130 FBS teams and a 12 game schedule. It always has been opinion based. Picking 12 or 14 teams to compete injects less opinion.

It does solve much of the Bowl problem.

Of course our opinions matter ZERO!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
i guess Tech needs to relinquish their national championships then.
They are all MNC. Notice that each year we have won a MNC, other schools have been named NC by other organizations. There are only so many that were recognized by the NCAA, but there's a reason that uga claims one more than is recognized. Also, if you look at the 1952 NC, it's also claimed by Michigan State.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
They are all MNC. Notice that each year we have won a MNC, other schools have been named NC by other organizations. There are only so many that were recognized by the NCAA, but there's a reason that uga claims one more than is recognized. Also, if you look at the 1952 NC, it's also claimed by Michigan State.
yes, but if you have the top 12 teams (+/- ) in a playoff, you are moving your MNC to a 99% confidence level. I know that's not 100%, but it's pretty darn good.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks, that's a good article.

After reading this and realizing that appeasing the bullies never works in the long run, I'm starting to think that letting the SEC and B1G simply break off and form their own league might not be such a bad idea. Especially if they weren't allowed to play teams operating under NCAA governance. It would eliminate a lot of playoff drama, and the SEC and B1G might discover that their ratings and rankings suffer without the patsies to pad their W/L records.

I still think the rest of D1 college football needs to have their own separate governance since the NCAA continues to fail badly, and ACC leadership needs to start being proactive instead of reactive.

The attached article may be of interest. This is by Ralph Russo of the AP. He presents the same basic theme as Pat Forde, but has a little more concerning the ACC and Big 12. A Fort Worth reporter contributed to article.

I absolutely agree that our ACC leadership needs to be more proactive. Perhaps the ACC should consider joining the Big 12 with our own "Advisory Committee"