CFP Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My response is that a 1 loss B1G champion will get in ahead of 1 loss SEC runner-up EVERY TIME. I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind even contemplating that wouldn’t happen.

A 1-loss B1G champion would most likely get in over an undefeated G5 team. I don’t agree with that necessarily, but it is what it is.
I don't think your first point will be a factor because I agree with your second.

This year, the SEC champ and the B1G champ will be in the CFP. I believe that is also the case with the Big-12 champ (Baylor could upset that by sneaking into 2nd place and winning the championship game). The question is what will the CFP committee do if uga loses to Bama. My son's argument is that the committee is not going to bump the #1 team in the country, with perhaps the best defense in the history of college football, out of the playoffs unless they get royally stomped in the SECCG. Cincinnati may have helped that argument with their lackluster win at Navy today, but they are currently ranked #2. Unless they repeat that type of play (or lose) they are likely to be in the top four at season's end.

Then there is the possibility that Wake at 13-0 or Pitt at 12-1 could be the ACC champ. Eventually, winning your conference championship has to mean something.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
My response is that a 1 loss B1G champion will get in ahead of 1 loss SEC runner-up EVERY TIME. I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind even contemplating that wouldn’t happen.

A 1-loss B1G champion would most likely get in over an undefeated G5 team. I don’t agree with that necessarily, but it is what it is.
I completely agree that the 1-loss big ten would get in with a conference championship. My point is, we need to be careful throwing out the word automatic qualifiers around a conference championship. Edit: in the current format

To the G5 debate, I would say in the past they shouldn’t have been included. This is the first year that a school like Cincinnati has stepped up and played a full schedule. So far they have proved that they deserve to be in contention

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree that the 1-loss big ten would get in with a conference championship. My point is, we need to be careful throwing out the word automatic qualifiers around a conference championship. Edit: in the current format

To the G5 debate, I would say in the past they shouldn’t have been included. This is the first year that a school like Cincinnati has stepped up and played a full schedule. So far they have proved that they deserve to be in contention
UCF 2017 called to say “hi”.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
UCF 2017 called to say “hi”.
2017 UCF didn’t play anybody in the regular season, and they only played 11 games after they failed to make our game up. This Cincinnati team is much more deserving. If they had played us and won they might have actually gotten a shot as the 4 seed, but only going 11-0 with a win against 4-8 Maryland isn’t going to get the job done for a G5 team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think your first point will be a factor because I agree with your second.

This year, the SEC champ and the B1G champ will be in the CFP. I believe that is also the case with the Big-12 champ (Baylor could upset that by sneaking into 2nd place and winning the championship game). The question is what will the CFP committee do if uga loses to Bama. My son's argument is that the committee is not going to bump the #1 team in the country, with perhaps the best defense in the history of college football, out of the playoffs unless they get royally stomped in the SECCG. Cincinnati may have helped that argument with their lackluster win at Navy today, but they are currently ranked #2. Unless they repeat that type of play (or lose) they are likely to be in the top four at season's end.

Then there is the possibility that Wake at 13-0 or Pitt at 12-1 could be the ACC champ. Eventually, winning your conference championship has to mean something.
II think it is now possible to seriously consider Oregon as a CFP contender. We are just over a week before the initial CFP rankings are released. It will be interesting to see where they and Cincy and OU are versus Bama and Ohio State. And why aren't undefeated Michigan and Michigan State ranked higher?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
II think it is now possible to seriously consider Oregon as a CFP contender. We are just over a week before the initial CFP rankings are released. It will be interesting to see where they and Cincy and OU are versus Bama and Ohio State. And why aren't undefeated Michigan and Michigan State ranked higher?
Here's one projection:

Projected college football rankings for Week 9
RankTeamRecord
1Georgia7-0
2Cincinnati7-0
3Oklahoma8-0
4Alabama7-1
5Ohio State6-1
6Michigan7-0
7Michigan State7-0
8Oregon6-1
9Iowa6-1
10Ole Miss6-1

I used to think Georgia would be in it even if they lose to Alabama - but if Michigan, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, and Alabama win out, then those will be the four teams in the playoff. I know that's somewhat unlikely, but it certainly is possible and Georgia would be left out. I don't think a one-loss Georgia ends up ahead of undefeated Michigan, Cincinnati, or Michigan, and Alabama would claim the fourth spot in the playoff by winning the SEC.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In this climate of the “Alliance” there is no way two SEC teams get in if others are undefeated. And if the BIG has a 1 loss Champ, they’ll get in over a 1 loss UGA runner up. But I don’t see much chance as of today that UGA loses to Bama. Bama is still the 2nd best team but they have wholes UGA doesn’t have on defense. But there is still time for UGA to do UGA things in the next 5 weeks.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wake isn’t getting in even if they are undefeated and beat Pitt 50-0 in ACCCG because the leaders of the ACC get rolled and haven’t earned anyone’s respect. See what the NCAA did to NC State in baseball. The ACC is the poster boy for the elite class and the paupers. As long as the elite’s get theirs they won’t rock the boat. Heck, Wake won’t even be ranked in the top 6 if they go undefeated.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wake isn’t getting in even if they are undefeated and beat Pitt 50-0 in ACCCG because the leaders of the ACC get rolled and haven’t earned anyone’s respect. See what the NCAA did to NC State in baseball. The ACC is the poster boy for the elite class and the paupers. As long as the elite’s get theirs they won’t rock the boat. Heck, Wake won’t even be ranked in the top 6 if they go undefeated.
If Wake goes undefeated (they won’t) they will have done so against one of the weakest schedules in college football, and without a doubt the weakest P5 schedule. Their best win so far is against Virginia who you already said wasn’t any good, and by the end of the regular season their best win would be Virginia (no good apparently), Clemson (clearly is no good), UNC (so bad we beat them), or NC State just lost to a bad Miami team. Wake currently has the 103rd ranked schedule in the country, and by the end of the year that probably won’t change much. Cincinnati will have a much more respectable resume than Wake, at least they beat a pretty good Notre Dame team on the road.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t talk about how bad the ACC is and then complain when the ACC doesn’t get respect. Either the ACC is solid and worthy of more respect than it currently gets, or it’s really bad and reaps what it sows.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If Wake goes undefeated (they won’t) they will have done so against one of the weakest schedules in college football, and without a doubt the weakest P5 schedule. Their best win so far is against Virginia who you already said wasn’t any good, and by the end of the regular season their best win would be Virginia (no good apparently), Clemson (clearly is no good), UNC (so bad we beat them), or NC State just lost to a bad Miami team. Wake currently has the 103rd ranked schedule in the country, and by the end of the year that probably won’t change much. Cincinnati will have a much more respectable resume than Wake, at least they beat a pretty good Notre Dame team on the road.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t talk about how bad the ACC is and then complain when the ACC doesn’t get respect. Either the ACC is solid and worthy of more respect than it currently gets, or it’s really bad and reaps what it sows.
There is a really simple solution. If you win your conference championship you are in the playoffs. No at large bids; if you don't win, you ain't in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is a really simple solution. If you win your conference championship you are in the playoffs. No at large bids; if you don't win, you ain't in.
From the beginning I have advocated a 6 team playoff. 4 automatic bids to the highest ranked conference champions. 2 at large bids prioritizing any undefeated teams left out of automatic bids followed by highest ranked team available.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
From the beginning I have advocated a 6 team playoff. 4 automatic bids to the highest ranked conference champions. 2 at large bids prioritizing any undefeated teams left out of automatic bids followed by highest ranked team available.
I am an advocate for an 8 team playoff limited only to conference champions (no at large teams). Conference championship games count as the play in game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am an advocate for an 8 team playoff limited only to conference champions (no at large teams). Conference championship games count as the play in game.
That works too and to be honest would be the most fair since results would be decided on the field and not decided by who had the most passionate fans or which team had a sports network promoting them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Here's a scenario to ponder: Bama loses to Auburn or somebody, and with two losses beats Georgia in the SEC title game. Does a two loss Alabama get into the playoffs? If not, how can Georgia get in if they lost to them? I can't see a two loss 'Bama getting in, and it would be weird if Georgia got in after losing to them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here's a scenario to ponder: Bama loses to Auburn or somebody, and with two losses beats Georgia in the SEC title game. Does a two loss Alabama get into the playoffs? If not, how can Georgia get in if they lost to them? I can't see a two loss 'Bama getting in, and it would be weird if Georgia got in after losing to them.
This one is easy for me. uga would get in unless they lose in an embarrassing manner. In that case Bama is in. The SEC will have a team in the CFP.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This one is easy for me. uga would get in unless they lose in an embarrassing manner. In that case Bama is in. The SEC will have a team in the CFP.
I can't imagine them losing in an embarrassing manner, but it would be awkward putting them in if they lose to a two loss 'Bama. I think how many SEC teams get in depends on how many unbeatens there are at the end of the season.

Okay, so what happens if Georgia loses to a one loss 'Bama? Bama gets in for sure. What about Georgia? Again, I guess it would depend on how many unbeatens there are. I'm pulling for three of the other unbeatens to stay that way. If Cincy, Oklahoma, and Michigan/Michigan State are unbeaten, I'm thinking Georgia gets left out if they lose to Bama, even if it's by one point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't imagine them losing in an embarrassing manner, but it would be awkward putting them in if they lose to a two loss 'Bama. I think how many SEC teams get in depends on how many unbeatens there are at the end of the season.

Okay, so what happens if Georgia loses to a one loss 'Bama? Bama gets in for sure. What about Georgia? Again, I guess it would depend on how many unbeatens there are. I'm pulling for three of the other unbeatens to stay that way. If Cincy, Oklahoma, and Michigan/Michigan State are unbeaten, I'm thinking Georgia gets left out if they lose to Bama, even if it's by one point.
I agree with you, but there is a logical argument that uga gets in no matter what they do in the SECCG. They pass the eyeball test as the best team in the country and their D has smothered everyone thus far.

But, I do not think the CFP committee can leave an undefeated team ranked #2 or #3 or the B1G champion or the SEC champion out of the playoff. And, if Oregon is the PAC-12 champ with one loss it just complicates matters. Winning your conference championship has to have meaning at some point.

The CFP rankings come out next week. That should add some clarity to the debate.