CDS Expectations

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is trying to get help from Congress

So the arrogant, incompetent, corrupt blowhards that mucked it all up are hoping that an even bigger group of arrogant, incompetent, corrupt blowhards will fix it?
This oughta work out nicely...
(y)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So the arrogant, incompetent, corrupt blowhards that mucked it all up are hoping that an even bigger group of arrogant, incompetent, corrupt blowhards will fix it?
(y)
Given how badly the NCAA got blasted in the court case Congress is about the only option for any controls on this. Right now it is state by state or no controls. Personally I don't expect any controls to be put in place by congress. It will just evolve into a market of sorts with some outliers like the guy in Miami.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Corporations have been dumping money into college sports sponsorships for years. Look at the billboards and program ads from Coke, etc. The new wrinkle is that now they will be asked to pony up even more millions and get the joy of a teenager showing up at a corporate event to shake hands or appear in one of their local TV ads. (ACC kids showed up in Bojangles ads. Brice Young was in Dr Pepper national spots) Question is whether Fortune 500 corps will see that as a good investment of marketing $$ in an era where sponsorship money is harder and harder to come by

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a sign of real resources. This is one of those senior advisor coach roles without the recruiting responsibilities. You'd hire 3 bench assistants on top of this one.

So in the media guide for this season there were the three assistant coaches, a Director of Operations, a Director of Player Personnel (Elder) and a Director of Scouting. Then you had a player development coach, sports medicine, academic advisor, and a Director of Media Content which was unfilled.

So hopefully this means at least one new position added to the basketball staff, which is great news. It will be interesting to see how the rest fills out.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's a sign of real resources. This is one of those senior advisor coach roles without the recruiting responsibilities. You'd hire 3 bench assistants on top of this one.

This is good step. But I say on top of this we need to add another 2-3 more non recruiting assistant coaches / advisors. That coupled with an increase of the pool of money for the three assistant coaches to $1.5M and we have the organizationak structure of a winning program.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hopefully, they are either targeting older coaches who do want to go through the grind of recruiting or some of the more well know high school coaches in the area.
This particular coaching title is usually for a former head coach who you won't put on the road.

This allows you to hire 3 energetic recruiters on the bench, in addition to the special advisor.

A separate, recruiting focused support staff would be nice too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
23-24: ACC appears to be in for a weak year again. 8-12 or better is the goal; 6-14 minimum acceptable
24-25: 8-12 minimum; 10-10 goal
25-26: 8-12 minimum; 12-8 goal. NCAAT goal
26-27 and beyond: goals .500 or better in ACC every year. NCAAT 4 of every 5 years. Minimum .500 or better in ACC 4 of 5 years. NCAAT 2 of 5 years
I would doubt that we could get one guy to replace Javon.His end of yr was beyond amazing.Maybe we could get 2 bigs to fill his role from the portal.Anyway it is critical..

GT33

Helluva Engineer
(y)
Look no further than your local HOA to understand what a bunch of incompetent dictators can do to a system that would function quite well without a lot of the rules. The NCAA is just like a HOA except its on steroids and they're whole lot more expensive while consistently delivering far worse results.

JacketsSports

Georgia Tech Fan
Really hope CDS can replicate what Missouri did this year. The Tigers were 12-21, 5-13 in conference last yr and Dennis Gates in his first yr (along w/ CY as the assistant coach) has totally turned this team around. They finished the regular season with 25-9, 11-7 record and just won their first rd tournament game. It can happen for us too...you just gotta believe.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is important. Of course the remaining factor is staff. CY is likely a non-starter, if he lands, I’ll re-evaluate.

Year 1: keep Miles and Jalon. Retain Blue Cain. I think a key member of our roster is likely gone, I’ve heard that from multiple people.

Year 2: Fence in Atlanta. It’s what we’ve always wanted, NIL might enable that if what I’m told is possible…it’s possible and maybe even attainable.

Year 3: Success on an ACC level. Yeah, three years. Programs that make thunderous hires expect results in three seasons and we need to stop being “boomers” (though I hate that effing term and those that use it”) and we need a berth in year three, CDS. That’s my expectation

Take it for what’s it worth…
With a good staff, NIT first year then , NCAA every other year thereafter.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
With a good staff, NIT first year then , NCAA every other year thereafter.
Interestingly Houston has the 5th most consecutive appearances at 5. That is remarkable few consecutive appearances. Kansas (33), Michigan ST (25) and Gonzaga (24) are the only ones with double digit consecutive appearances.