CDS Expectations

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't have a list at this point. Let's see how the next few months go. Retention of the roster, portal additions, assistants and recruiting will all factor into expectations. It's too early to draw lines in the sand.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I do too but it is reality. Got to deal with it. :(:banghead:🤷‍♂️
I think GT should be a solid player in it but it will take a little longer. The corporate sponsorship opportunities within 12 blocks alone are enormous. That's where I think this ends up, corporate sponsorships through a "collective", essentially a marketing firm, for paid appearances, commercials, that type of thing.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You prefer the previous illegal version that unc, uk, UConn duke etc. thrived under?
Yes.
It was the piss poor, biased, unequal enforcement that was the issue.
Now that it’s out in the open it isn’t any different; it’s just out in the open. I guess the one positive now is that there are no rules to enforce so there is no need for enforcement.
What has changed is that every recruit from the top 10 to a kid nobody really knows expects compensation to play D1 ball. I have no rosy illusion of the way things used to be but I have a hard time seeing this as better.
Hopefully some guardrails are coming to make it work.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
23-24: I don't have too high of an expectation for year 1 but I'd like to have at minimum the same record as last year. It's his first year and I have no clue what our roster could look like so I'll give him some grace.

24-25: winning record overall and improvement in conference play. would like to see an NIT berth.

25-26: winning record overall AND winning record in conference play. Make the dance or be one of the first four out.

26-27 onward: be competitive in the ACC, make tournament appearances, enter top 25, etc

as for recruiting I'd like for us to be THE basketball school in Georgia again. Make it so aspiring Georgia kids in high school always consider Tech when being recruited.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes.
It was the piss poor, biased, unequal enforcement that was the issue.
Now that it’s out in the open it isn’t any different; it’s just out in the open. I guess the one positive now is that there are no rules to enforce so there is no need for enforcement.
What has changed is that every recruit from the top 10 to a kid nobody really knows expects compensation to play D1 ball. I have no rosy illusion of the way things used to be but I have a hard time seeing this as better.
Hopefully some guardrails are coming to make it work.
From what I have heard from coaches, there already is a semblance of a market developing which will put some consistency around NIL. Not to say some billionaire in Miami won't blow up the market for his own reasons, but I think those guys will not be the norm. It will most likely, with a lot of caveats/bumps in the road/WTF moments, be as ESPN said a corporate funded collective at most places dispensing $ according to what it takes to get someone. GT should be fine in that environment recognizing that we will not be giving out mid 6 figures to guys who have immediate G League or NBA options

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can't lie. It warms my cold, ded heart to see places like TX A&M (fball) and UNC (bball) laying out all that dough for NIL but getting absolutely no ROI.

merciless evil laugh GIF

CEB

Helluva Engineer
From what I have heard from coaches, there already is a semblance of a market developing which will put some consistency around NIL. Not to say some billionaire in Miami won't blow up the market for his own reasons, but I think those guys will not be the norm. It will most likely, with a lot of caveats/bumps in the road/WTF moments, be as ESPN said a corporate funded collective at most places dispensing $ according to what it takes to get someone. GT should be fine in that environment recognizing that we will not be giving out mid 6 figures to guys who have immediate G League or NBA options
Honest question...
If colleges are really paying 6 figures for G League type of guys, doesn’t that make college more lucrative than G League for a lot of players? Not only that... There are bigger raises available in the transfer portal than in the pro ranks? Geez...
I’m sure this has been covered, so I apologize. I try to focus on the actual athletics, not the compensation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honest question...
If colleges are really paying 6 figures for G League type of guys, doesn’t that make college more lucrative than G League for a lot of players? Not only that... There are bigger raises available in the transfer portal than in the pro ranks? Geez...
I’m sure this has been covered, so I apologize. I try to focus on the actual athletics, not the compensation.

Yes, it's been said the big man from UNC will return next season because he gets paid more from NIL than the gleague, etc.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think GT should be a solid player in it but it will take a little longer. The corporate sponsorship opportunities within 12 blocks alone are enormous. That's where I think this ends up, corporate sponsorships through a "collective", essentially a marketing firm, for paid appearances, commercials, that type of thing.
I’m not sure the corporate thing will ever materialize. I don’t see any roi benefit for corporations to sponsor basketball players or even basketball (or football) programs that, in the grand scheme of things, are irrelevant to the lives of the vast majority of the public consciousness. Plus corporations want to ingratiate themselves with as wide an audience as possible, not limit the effectiveness of their advertising efforts by hitching their wagon to one demographic or another. In the case of GT in Atlanta, the majority of the public are actually fans of or at least much more conscious of uga(sic), our major rival, so supporting GT could actually have a net negative impact on a corporation’s image.

So far NIL seems to me to be turning out to be the playground of wealthy sports fans with mostly more money and ego than sense, kinda the same as it’s always been before NIL. Unfortunately for us regular GT sports fans, most of GT’s wealthy fans seem to have more sense than those of other fan bases, so aren’t as willing to part with their money to pay kids to play games.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I can't lie. It warms my cold, ded heart to see places like TX A&M (fball) and UNC (bball) laying out all that dough for NIL but getting absolutely no ROI.

merciless evil laugh GIF
That's the reality of it. Sooner or later the big $$$ donors will start to pass until a kid has proven he is worth the investment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's the reality of it. Sooner or later the big $$$ donors will start to pass until a kid has proven he is worth the investment.

Quinlan also mentioned GT has used NIL more as a retention tool to keep guys, who've produced, from leaving. IOW, prove it and get paid.

Makes more sense, however, we'll have to bet on guys on the front-end to compete in the market now.

slugboy

Staff member
Wonder if they will ever cap it
The NCAA is trying to get help from Congress

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure the corporate thing will ever materialize. I don’t see any roi benefit for corporations to sponsor basketball players or even basketball (or football) programs that, in the grand scheme of things, are irrelevant to the lives of the vast majority of the public consciousness. Plus corporations want to ingratiate themselves with as wide an audience as possible, not limit the effectiveness of their advertising efforts by hitching their wagon to one demographic or another. In the case of GT in Atlanta, the majority of the public are actually fans of or at least much more conscious of uga(sic), our major rival, so supporting GT could actually have a net negative impact on a corporation’s image.

So far NIL seems to me to be turning out to be the playground of wealthy sports fans with mostly more money and ego than sense, kinda the same as it’s always been before NIL. Unfortunately for us regular GT sports fans, most of GT’s wealthy fans seem to have more sense than those of other fan bases, so aren’t as willing to part with their money to pay kids to play games.
I understand this is how most fans look at it. I just don't think that is how it will play out.

The shoe companies have been attaching themselves to basketball players since the '80s (funneled through AAU mostly). That is the model I see going forward.

If don't think the collectives can compete for donor money with the school over time. The school donation can get you better seats, a luxury box, whatever else that is actually worth something to a fan. The collective will get you an autographed ball and a cocktail party I guess.