CDS Expectations

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think this is important. Of course the remaining factor is staff. CY is likely a non-starter, if he lands, I’ll re-evaluate.

Year 1: keep Miles and Jalon. Retain Blue Cain. I think a key member of our roster is likely gone, I’ve heard that from multiple people.

Year 2: Fence in Atlanta. It’s what we’ve always wanted, NIL might enable that if what I’m told is possible…it’s possible and maybe even attainable.

Year 3: Success on an ACC level. Yeah, three years. Programs that make thunderous hires expect results in three seasons and we need to stop being “boomers” (though I hate that effing term and those that use it”) and we need a berth in year three, CDS. That’s my expectation

Take it for what’s it worth…

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think that Blue Cain will come back after we released him from his LOI. It’s a shame, because I think that he would actually get stronger guard coaching from the new staff.

Success in the portal is something to look for in the offseason.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was already expecting a good bit of roster turnover. Just hope some of the fat leaves along with the muscle part. Gives Damon roster spots to work with

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My expectations are we are a bubble team in year one and in the NCAAT in year two. That's what the roster is set up to do if the core can be kept together and we have some success in the portal. IMO the whole point of making a quick hire, and likely a point in CDS's favor was his ability to start right away, was to have a greater chance of keeping the core together and being prepared for the portal. After that I would expect a step back and maybe miss the tournament for a year or two, but by year 5 we should already be well poised to make the NCAAT on a consistent basis.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s important to decipher that Blue Cain has decommitted but hasn’t eliminated GT
Admittedly I have no idea how this recruiting stuff works or what goes through the mind of 18 year olds, but I don’t know why you’d ask for a release without first having talked to someone. In my mind if you’ve asked for release, it’s for more than just the “unknown.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Admittedly I have no idea how this recruiting stuff works or what goes through the mind of 18 year olds, but I don’t know why you’d ask for a release without first having talked to someone. In my mind if you’ve asked for release, it’s for more than just the “unknown.”

Maybe it's a formality to allow himself to speak to other schools, officially? Like, maybe some wouldn't speak unless he was released. I don't know either, just speculating.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Smart move by Cain.Gives him the flexibility to talk to CDS new staff to make sure he's a fit & grab more NIL $$.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Smart move by Cain.Gives him the flexibility to talk to CDS new staff to make sure he's a fit & grab more NIL $$.
Maybe? I guess it is a free renegotiation for NIL... I hadn’t considered that angle

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My expectations are we are a bubble team in year one and in the NCAAT in year two. That's what the roster is set up to do if the core can be kept together and we have some success in the portal. IMO the whole point of making a quick hire, and likely a point in CDS's favor was his ability to start right away, was to have a greater chance of keeping the core together and being prepared for the portal. After that I would expect a step back and maybe miss the tournament for a year or two, but by year 5 we should already be well poised to make the NCAAT on a consistent basis.
The goal is to develop a consistent winning program. Hiring someone two weeks early to have a better season #1 likely was a minor factor. It’s clearly a positive for GT, however, not likely a top priority.

There are bound to be transfers out, who is the question. Clearly we have portal needs right now. The early hire helps for sure. I suspect Batt will be ok with losing a player or two for establishing a sound successful program. That is my view as well, shocking, right.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's a formality to allow himself to speak to other schools, officially? Like, maybe some wouldn't speak unless he was released. I don't know either, just speculating.
I guess in my mind I would rule out the school I committed to before I would care to speak to other schools again. The angle I hadn’t considered is the chance to ask for a raise. It’s a brave new world...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Blue Cain’s game seems very similar to Miles Kelly, assuming he’s really gone maybe we would be better off to find a transfer guard who can slash and drive to the rim

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Maybe? I guess it is a free renegotiation for NIL... I hadn’t considered that angle
I hear he's been doing well at IMG and his stock is rising. There's excitement around the GT program with this change, more $$ should be available. If there was ever a time to renegotiate your NIL, this would be it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think about it, it would be surprising if he didn’t do commit to be able to look around as well as be recruited by Georgia Tech. I know I would if I were him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I guess in my mind I would rule out the school I committed to before I would care to speak to other schools again. The angle I hadn’t considered is the chance to ask for a raise. It’s a brave new world...

Quinlan (I think) mentioned something on this. He said, at this point in the year, most coaches have moved on from HS recruits and are onto portal kids. Seems to be suggesting Cain may find fewer spots available just due to timing.

I personally doubt that. His stock has risen so I imagine he'll find suitors. Just sharing what Quinlan said.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Cain, in my opinion, made a smart move. Look at other options while waiting to see if the new coach is the real deal and whether Tech is going to come through with NIL money.

I recently sold my house in the mountains and the buyers got into a bidding war. Cain is in a good position to see who wants him the most.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
23-24: ACC appears to be in for a weak year again. 8-12 or better is the goal; 6-14 minimum acceptable
24-25: 8-12 minimum; 10-10 goal
25-26: 8-12 minimum; 12-8 goal. NCAAT goal
26-27 and beyond: goals .500 or better in ACC every year. NCAAT 4 of every 5 years. Minimum .500 or better in ACC 4 of 5 years. NCAAT 2 of 5 years