Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wow. It occurs to me that with deals this big going down there is no longer any need to turn pro. Make your money in college and save your body while you can.
I wonder when he gets the money? Is it up front, or after he's played a period of time? Is that 9.5 mil for one year or four? How long would he even have to play college ball before he'd a multi-millionaire?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder when he gets the money? Is it up front, or after he's played a period of time? Is that 9.5 mil for one year or four? How long would he even have to play college ball before he'd a multi-millionaire?

If players are getting this kind of money, are they even held to APR requirements? Technically, he could just be a walk-on, and not regulated through the NCAA as a scholly player right? He probably has to be enrolled to play, but is there anything preventing him from taking like 1 survey course per semester and leaving after 3 years?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If players are getting this kind of money, are they even held to APR requirements? Technically, he could just be a walk-on, and not regulated through the NCAA as a scholly player right? He probably has to be enrolled to play, but is there anything preventing him from taking like 1 survey course per semester and leaving after 3 years?
Would they be held to APR requirements - absolutely. If they are recruited athletes they would fall under APR.

Reading the On3 article what strikes me most is all the lawyer talking going on. I never talked to so and so about this player. We had nothing to do with this. There is clearly some concern to protect backsides in case NCAA does decide to look into anything.

The reason DRad and Cristobal ended up in Miami is because Ruiz and a few other boosters made it clear they were going to spend big bucks to support the program.

It's also clear from the lawyer representing Rashada comments that collectives can hurt you as well as help you.

Miami has been arguably the most aggressive NIL school in the country in terms of both its football and basketball programs.

Until some legitimate rules and regulations are put in place college football is simply a pure pay for play model now. It just makes me more ready to let the top 25-30 schools that want to play in this game leave and go do that. The other universities can then build a more sane model that creates a more competitive playing field.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Would they be held to APR requirements - absolutely. If they are recruited athletes they would fall under APR.

Reading the On3 article what strikes me most is all the lawyer talking going on. I never talked to so and so about this player. We had nothing to do with this. There is clearly some concern to protect backsides in case NCAA does decide to look into anything.

The reason DRad and Cristobal ended up in Miami is because Ruiz and a few other boosters made it clear they were going to spend big bucks to support the program.

It's also clear from the lawyer representing Rashada comments that collectives can hurt you as well as help you.

Miami has been arguably the most aggressive NIL school in the country in terms of both its football and basketball programs.

Until some legitimate rules and regulations are put in place college football is simply a pure pay for play model now. It just makes me more ready to let the top 25-30 schools that want to play in this game leave and go do that. The other universities can then build a more sane model that creates a more competitive playing field.
I keep hearing people say the top 25 to 30 teams are going to move and form their own group. Why would any of the top teams want to do this? They like the current competitive imbalance just fine. Do you really think Alabama only wants to compete against teams that can spend the same amount (or more) money they can spend? There’s a reason the SEC continually votes to only play 8 conference games each year. They want their 4 patsies; they want their 7 to 8 home games.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

The only thing that will keep The U from winning big is lack of control of the players- give a kid 9.5 million dollars down there in Miami and see how much damage he can do to himself, his teammates and his team, how much motivation will there be to practice once you have that? This is going to most likely be a disaster that we will see tv specials about someday.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Someone posted an article with the top NIL earners and Gibbs is one of them at 600K+.

Can't fault anyone for going after that kind of $$$ if avail.

And IMO it basically answers the thread title question, EXCEPT, we can compete in the next tier down.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Tech is done if this is the direction college football goes. We all know how horrible our monetary support is and it certainly looks like that is going to define most teams' success going forward. I think we can wave goodbye to any hope of ever being nationally relevant again without an act of god.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech is done if this is the direction college football goes. We all know how horrible our monetary support is and it certainly looks like that is going to define most teams' success going forward. I think we can wave goodbye to any hope of ever being nationally relevant again without an act of god.
You could have posted this a decade ago. We were done, as were many, way before NIL.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
You could have posted this a decade ago. We were done, as were many, way before NIL.
Man, I'm talking about not even breaking the top 25 at all. We have at least been that relevant. That might even be an unrealistic expectation at this rate with the money that is flying around.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I'm talking about not even breaking the top 25 at all. We have at least been that relevant. That might even be an unrealistic expectation at this rate with the money that is flying around.
Yeah we're playing a different game at this point. I doubt we'll ever see one GT recruit get a $1MM+ NIL offer, let alone multiple in a class like other schools today.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We haven't been a Top 25 type program in my lifetime. We have had seasons here and there where we were ranked in the Top 25, but those are relatively few and far between.

The trend in college football continues to move away from GT.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is like reading your own obituary.
Harsh reality there. I am afraid of what top college football becomes and even more afraid of what’s left over.

"... if [Congress] can't figure out how to limit automatic weapons in the United States, they've got no shot at college football."
Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick

Not a fan of ND or Swarbrick but I REALLY hate it when people draw analogies to things they clearly don’t understand... things that are not pertinent, completely flawed. What a turd. His implied point of “please don’t get Congress involved” is accurate and well taken. What he actually said is irrelevant, sensationalist inaccuracy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is a great read on the future of college football.

It's a good read, I just don't see how any of the proposals will improve anything. Getting rid of the NCAA, and getting everyone to agree on an all powerful Czar who will do much of what the NCAA was doing (after rebuilding from scratch) and handle financial matter with the CFP seems like a recipe for disaster. Everyone who hates the NCAA today will be hating the new Czar's office within 5 years. Either that or they just turn College Football into a complete free for all with hardly any rules or regulations, which would eventually burn the sport to the ground.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Harsh reality there. I am afraid of what top college football becomes and even more afraid of what’s left over.

"... if [Congress] can't figure out how to limit automatic weapons in the United States, they've got no shot at college football."
Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick

Not a fan of ND or Swarbrick but I REALLY hate it when people draw analogies to things they clearly don’t understand... things that are not pertinent, completely flawed. What a turd. His implied point of “please don’t get Congress involved” is accurate and well taken. What he actually said is irrelevant, sensationalist inaccuracy.
Eh. There is a political board for this kind of discussion. https://gtswarm.com/threads/political-topics-at-georgia-tech-swarm.21389/

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a good read, I just don't see how any of the proposals will improve anything. Getting rid of the NCAA, and getting everyone to agree on an all powerful Czar who will do much of what the NCAA was doing (after rebuilding from scratch) and handle financial matter with the CFP seems like a recipe for disaster. Everyone who hates the NCAA today will be hating the new Czar's office within 5 years. Either that or they just turn College Football into a complete free for all with hardly any rules or regulations, which would eventually burn the sport to the ground.
Your last sentence is what the likes of Saban and Smart are concerned about.