Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Courts would immediately reject either of these proposals.
Why? This is closer to what happens in the real world compared to the way NIL works now. Is there some kind of NIL “minimum wage” that I don’t know about? Maybe I’m way off but I would think a lot of players get zilch even though they put in the reps.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The skill positions can’t do anything without the big uglies. They all produce but I haven’t heard any of the big uglies making 7 figures. I believe the current way NIL is handled is terribly unfair.
I didn't talk about "fair" in my post. But, I do believe the positions where talent is the most limited will also profit very well - for example, BIG, FAST DL's and edge rushers will make some good $$. Unfortunately, O-Linemen, due to not a great shortage at those positions (and they don't get the notoriety in general as the skill positions), will need other players to be "generous" for them to get decent pocket change. In other words, QB's, RB's, and WR's will probably have to "pay" the o-linemen some or gift them to make them happy.

I don't like any of this, and none of it is "fair".

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why? This is closer to what happens in the real world compared to the way NIL works now. Is there some kind of NIL “minimum wage” that I don’t know about? Maybe I’m way off but I would think a lot of players get zilch even though they put in the reps.
The language in the unanimous (which cannot be overstated given the court’s composition) Supreme Court opinion strongly warns against placing any restrictions on NIL compensation. Hence, the NCAA not passing any legislation

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
While I 100% agree that NIL and how it is handled needs to change, I am philosophically opposed to equal distribution of NIL money, whether it be globally across the NCAA or locally at each individual university or school. Neither the goalie on the soccer team nor the balance beam gymnast produces the revenue for the school that the star QB, RB, DE or point guard does. While this might not be "fair" I have no issue with dividing the pie proportional to revenue generated.
Yeah, but the point guard, QB, RB, and DE, have no--nada--venue, without the other team members. I thought this was originally, stupidly, about the big money the colleges were making and the athletes were getting bread crumbs like scholarships, food, housing, golden handshakes, a free to them venue, made possible by the colleges at great expense, to the NFL, etc. etc. Btw, the courts are badly flawed.

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Sadly i think it could very well get to the point where GT is only competitive in Baseball and Men's and Women's Basketball. I agree that The top classification of College Football needs to be split into two new classifications.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Because the money that they are generating is off of their Name, their Image and their Likeness. You can’t take the money and give it to other people. The players could sue and the courts would rule in their favor.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Because the money that they are generating is off of their Name, their Image and their Likeness. You can’t take the money and give it to other people. The players could sue and the courts would rule in their favor.
Value of their name, image, and likeness without the university and their teammates: likely nil.

JacketFan137

Banned
NIL: The number of non-factory schools sniffing the playoff from now on.
not like it’s any different. for the most part the playoff has been a combo of clemson, bama, uga, oklahoma and ohio state. we’ve had some washingtons, and cincy this year but it’s kinda funny and sad that we were rooting for that plucky underdog LSU or like uga was seen as some miracle run comeback story. if you want cinderellas you gotta stick to college basketball, college baseball and the nfl

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If they are good enough to make endorsements with one university and set of teammates they would be able to do it at another university and set of teammates.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
not like it’s any different. for the most part the playoff has been a combo of clemson, bama, uga, oklahoma and ohio state. we’ve had some washingtons, and cincy this year but it’s kinda funny and sad that we were rooting for that plucky underdog LSU or like uga was seen as some miracle run comeback story. if you want cinderellas you gotta stick to college basketball, college baseball and the nfl
Clemson in my mind should be considered a Cinderella. There is no way that they should be competitive financially or otherwise with the rest of those teams.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson in my mind should be considered a Cinderella. There is no way that they should be competitive financially or otherwise with the rest of those teams.
You might be surprised on this one. They have a ton of small to medium donors and a few big ones. Their season ticket sales are strong too. Knock the King off his throne 2 outta 3 times recently and win a Heisman here and there, and wallah, you have people who will buy off on NIL/TP.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
You might be surprised on this one. They have a ton of small to medium donors and a few big ones. Their season ticket sales are strong too. Knock the King off his throne 2 outta 3 times recently and win a Heisman here and there, and wallah, you have people who will buy off on NIL/TP.
I don't doubt that they do. Highly skeptical they have the numbers of donors in any category to compete with Ohio State, Texas, etc... despite outperforming these teams on the field for most of the past 10 years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer