Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

JacketFan137

Banned
And GT's regular student body graduation rate went from 35% to 97% with the USN&WR rankings race. Our students are smarter than we were, but they're also not abused like we were. Maybe because we weren't so smart, we needed to be abused to make us better.
colleges are around to make money. can’t collect as much tuition when you fail people out constantly and make them drop out lol

in the long run they can make more money churning out students rather than discouraging them with impossible classes

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
colleges are around to make money. can’t collect as much tuition when you fail people out constantly and make them drop out lol

in the long run they can make more money churning out students rather than discouraging them with impossible classes
I don't think that is the case at GT. At for-profit schools yes. GT only accepts 21% of applicants. The school could fail people out with impossible classes and easily replace them and the tuition money. That isn't unique to GT. When I was in school, there were some for whom the classes were easy. The average student at GT now is closer to those students than what was the average when I was in school.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the stats used to be (from memory a few years ago) 4% of college players make it in the pros and of these more than 50% end up bankrupt.
In bold is BEYOND sad. With the NIL and the guys moving around with leverage, not sure this won't get even worse. Young guys need accountability and life skills, and they are not getting those, many times.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
In bold is BEYOND sad. With the NIL and the guys moving around with leverage, not sure this won't get even worse. Young guys need accountability and life skills, and they are not getting those, many times.
All the more reason that athletic programs should be stressing such things. If the goal is to get kids into the NFL, then the goal should be to get kids through the NFL with something left to show for it. Stress money management, taxes, and finances to college athletes as part of the program.

I think there are a lot of issues and it is more than just athletes being stupid. Many come from a background where they are expected to take care of their entire community if they make it "big". Many grow up believing that buying a fancy car is what makes you wealthy, not what is left in your bank account. College programs could bring in former pro players to discuss those issues with current the players and try to make a difference. My impression of most college athletic programs is that they don't really give a flip about what happens to the athletes once they leave the program. Many programs are happy to embellish the fantasy lifestyle dreams to get/keep players even if that attitude causes them to lose everything later in life. Players who are looking to get drafted in a few days would do good to listen to these guys:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I would add that the same type of money responsibility and management is important to college athletes who will be making $20k or $50k per year in NIL money. Try to teach them to plan for Taxes, Things they are responsible to pay for, Family needs in that order then go to wants/likes/friends/etc. If they aren't careful, a kid who gets free tuition, room and board, and transportation money could still waste $50k in no time at all with nothing left to show for it.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
These things are very difficult for grown working professionals to have financial discipline and maturity to be responsible with money management much less to expect it from kids right out of high schools. We shall see

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are issues with the way those are calculated. (about to get techincal) The basic formula is graduates/students. The NCAA doesn't use the Federal Graduation Rate because of issues with it. The FGR counts all students who enter the school as students even if they transfer out, but they don't count as graduates even if they graduate elsewhere. It does not include transfer-ins a students. Therefore you have to count transfer-outs as non graduates and transfer-ins don't help. The Graduation Success Rate that the NCAA uses doesn't count transfer-outs as students if they were academically eligible whether or not they graduate elsewhere. (Left-Eligible) It does count transfer-ins as students and graduates. The effect is that transfer students "move" to the new school. However, a student who leaves a school while eligible but never enrolls elsewhere isn't counted against a school's graduation rate. The numbers appear to be extremely high, but that is how the NCAA wants the numbers to look so the calculation is set up to ensure that the stated graduation rates are high.

That doesn't negate your argument. The schools do try to keep the publicly stated numbers up. They do push kids to go to class and get tutoring. (Though some do push easy majors, fake classes, and pressure profs to "correct" grades.)

I actually think a separation would be good for college athletics. You could have a minor league system "sponsored" by colleges, and then an association of colleges that compete against each other. If football does become a professional system at some schools, why would there be any academic requirements whatsoever? The teams could bring in players and cut them as they see fit. You could keep a player ten years or cut them after Summer camp. There would be a lot of argument over separations of conferences and money, but I think football would be the easy part of the split. I also don't see a professional minor-league system supporting lower tier sports. Where would the lower tier sports teams play? Would the ACC still let FSU play softball and volleyball as ACC teams if the football team is part of a professional organization? Forming the professional organization would be easy compared to cleaning up the mess it would make of college athletics in general.

FWIW, I don't disagree with any of this. I was merely pointing out that pointing to graduation rates as proof really doesn't fly anymore.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
uga footballs graduation rate is at 87%, which is 3% less than our 90%. ND graduated 91% and Bama graduated 88% of their players.
Even as recent as CPJ's last few years, the AJC did a column on how low Uga's football rates were and how high ours were---plus how low in the SEC Uga was. There were also comments on the boards about why would parents continuously send their kids to play for Uga with such low grad rates, especially since so few actually go pro.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Even as recent as CPJ's last few years, the AJC did a column on how low Uga's football rates were and how high ours were---plus how low in the SEC Uga was. There were also comments on the boards about why would parents continuously send their kids to play for Uga with such low grad rates, especially since so few actually go pro.

uga footballs graduation rate is 88% IIWII

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Transfers out and those who leave in good academic standing do not count against graduation rates. That's how Duke keeps it's basketball program going with so many one and done's. Just keeps kids in school through the end of the semester before they leave.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I once asked a friend of mine who had visited Las Vegas how she liked it. "Oh it was great!" she said. "But Vegas makes me feel like a need a shower to wash all the immorality off. It's a cesspool."

NIL is doing that to college sports. We will enjoy the Saturday games and then, collectively ... take a shower.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I once asked a friend of mine who had visited Las Vegas how she liked it. "Oh it was great!" she said. "But Vegas makes me feel like a need a shower to wash all the immorality off. It's a cesspool."

NIL is doing that to college sports. We will enjoy the Saturday games and then, collectively ... take a shower.
I don't think I will be part of the collective at that point.