Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Im actually skeptical they will be able to maintain 30 teams in in such a top tier. If they continue to allow free reign spending then you will only end up with a handful of viable teams and im not sure why the 30th team spending 100 million a year would even want to stay in the top tier league with the other programs spending 500 million a year. A professional league with no regulation or competitive balance measures has no chance to succeed in the long run.
How do you determine who is in the Top 30? Is it by the amount you spend or by competitiveness? Take Vandy for example. Vandy is not competitive in the SEC but they are not going to join the ACC and make half the money they currently make in the SEC. There will be a lot of teams that want to be in the top tier that will not have a realistic chance of winning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Because that’s a system and an idea that simply cannot work. You can’t just tell somebody they can’t go to a certain school because they’re too good at football. In order to regulate they have to do things like limit spending, revenue sharing, and ya know, actually punish teams who break the rules. If the NCAA had actually enforced their own rules for the last 3 decades the system would probably be in a much better place.
The vast majority of recruits are told which schools they can’t play at already. We accept that because we accept that the system is broken while pretending there is “free choice” in all this. There isn’t.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, we have a bunch of chicken littles around here. College football is doing just fine. A G5 team just made the final four for the first time ever. With playoff expansion coming we’ll have more and more firsts. With big time players now sitting out bowl games (Pitt QB and others) it’s just a matter of time until D1 has a true playoff with 24 plus teams and the bowl system is finally rendered to the scrap heap of history. But do I love the concern that some high school kid will scam someone out of money and then leave for playing time or exposure. I even love the transfer portal because it gives my mid level team a chance for do overs in recruiting. But y’all keep coming up with scenarios where every top player goes to a few schools (as if that isn’t happening already) and are willing to sit for 2-3 years to get a shot. The portal will save a school like GT.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The vast majority of recruits are told which schools they can’t play at already. We accept that because we accept that the system is broken while pretending there is “free choice” in all this. There isn’t.
They aren’t told they can’t play anywhere. They’re told they wouldn’t be on scholarship should they choose to go to somewhere who wouldn’t save a spot for them. There’s a ton of high level 3 stars and 4 stars that the powerhouses would gladly take as walk ons, but that won’t happen because those players can get scholarships elsewhere. With NIL deals becoming legal what would stop Alabama or Georgia or anyone else from simply taking more than their allotted amount of 4 and 5 stars as walk ons and giving them lucrative NIL deals?

What you’re suggesting will not, and cannot work

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They aren’t told they can’t play anywhere. They’re told they wouldn’t be on scholarship should they choose to go to somewhere who wouldn’t save a spot for them. There’s a ton of high level 3 stars and 4 stars that the powerhouses would gladly take as walk ons, but that won’t happen because those players can get scholarships elsewhere. With NIL deals becoming legal what would stop Alabama or Georgia or anyone else from simply taking more than their allotted amount of 4 and 5 stars as walk ons and giving them lucrative NIL deals?

What you’re suggesting will not, and cannot work
It won’t work because we don’t have an NFL commissioner. Which is a joke going forward if we want to save “college ball.”

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do we really say Bye? Or just pocket the cash and invest in other sports? That's what Vanderbilt does. I'm pretty sure if we withdrew from ACC football, we would lose a big chunk, if not all, of the ACC TV payout.
I think the powers that be will try to break the ACC much as they intended to do to the Big 12. Watch the Big 12 for the plan of attack. But, they will be desperate to free Notre Dame from their ACC obligation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People need to stop thinking that the NCAA has any power over college football, it has basically no power over college football.

Everything other than student eligibility is pretty much handled by the P5 conferences. Technically the NCAA is also in charge of enforcement but its enforcement arm was basically neutered years ago because the big programs aren't interested in anything other than window dressing when it comes to following rules.
In many ways the NCAA has no interest in college football given it gets $0 revenue from college football. 90% of the NCAA's budget comes from its TV contract for March Madness. The rest of it comes from the various chamionship games it does run. And of course the NCAA returns almost 90% of its revenue back to its member institutions.

I also find it amusing that anyone is naive enough to think that NIL and the portal will benefit anyone other than the top schools.

The top schools will simply let their players that didn't work out move to lesser programs and will take the better players on the lesser programs that played out. Also, we have already seen that the top level recruits that don't play out at a blue blood type school will be given another chance at a different blue blood school and won't have to go to a lesser program.

NIL is simply legalized booster payments and the schools with the biggest boosters will have the largest NIL payments. Keep in mind that the schools themselves are not allowed to have NIL programs - that would be direct payment from the schools to the players and is not legal under the current NIL rules. But NIL payments from anyone else is ok (which is fine by me, we just need to understand what that means).

The primary purpose of the portal and the NIL is to benefit the blue bloods - they were the ones pushing hardest for both of them.

In college basketball, where it is easier to keep a better competitive balance, alot of low to mid-major schools largely lose most of their rosters every year due to better programs picking off their players. In college basketball the avg last year was that every team lost more than 1/3 of their roster to the portal. Last year 1,663 players went into the portal for college baketball. Last year there were 4,589 players on scholarship. You can do that math - 36% of college basketball players went into the portal.

College football is in an interesting place. It's in person attendance has dropped every year since 2012 (except for this year due to the increase by not having seating restrictions compared to last season). College football is not a particularly young sport based on demographics of those who watch it on TV. Based on Neilsen data and a couple of research studies the avg age of the college football TV watcher is between 45-50, it is highly white (80%, 8% black, 8% Hispanic, 4% everything else), and overindexes in the South and the Midwest. It does skew more educated than most other sports. If you wanted to draw a picture of the 'typical' college football fan it would be a middle-age white male who attended college and lives in the South or Midwest.

Schools are starting to get a higher percentage of revenue from TV rights than in-person revenue. But it is the im-person revenue that separates the blue blood type programs from the others. They make so much more in-person that it just laps the other schools.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
competitive with who?

Not with many of our current opponents Notre Dame, GA, Clemson, VT, NC?, FSU, Miami?, ...

We do not have a fanatical fan base that will fund NIL. that may redefine Power schools and Group schools in the future

I haven't lived in the southeast for 35+ years. most football fans that I know are only vaguely aware that GT exists or even plays football

OK bring it! But I'm a 3x grad and proud of it!

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
IMHO the NIL idea was bad from the start. However, given the NIL situation as it is and the transfer portal, I think CGC has got *some* things moving in the right direction, emphasizing the ATL experience, rad uniforms, the hypermedia content or whatever you call it... getting the most out of what's uniquely GT. And not trying to run the triple option helps.

We're probably not going to outpay the competition. We have to make the most of what nobody else can offer. Very few schools will be in the top-money tier. Recruiting victories in the less-money tier are going to go to who can credibly project an image of success. Whoever defines that first and best is going to emerge on top.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe gt fans will prefer paying players to overpaying coaches?
Where do you get we are overpaying coaches? Our head coach is about average and the coordinators are below average. Obviously the Group of 5 pays far less but they have significantly less revenue (yes even compared to GT) to pay coaches. Yes you can absolutely question if the results have provided us a payback. But if you want to hire talented head coaches and coordinators, we are not overpaying.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where do you get we are overpaying coaches? Our head coach is about average and the coordinators are below average. Obviously the Group of 5 pays far less but they have significantly less revenue (yes even compared to GT) to pay coaches. Yes you can absolutely question if the results have provided us a payback. But if you want to hire talented head coaches and coordinators, we are not overpaying.

I am very curious about this concept of "overpaying" coaches when data suggests that we do not. I am going to post a hypothetical question and would love some feeback, especially from some of the more vocal critics here. Assume we were coming off 3 straight wins and paying our coach say $90K plus benefits. Would you still be mad?

My assumption is that most of you would still be upset but would likely deflect some of the current anger at the HC to the AD. "Of course we can't get results, we are paying a high school equivalent salary. We won't be better than we are until we are competitive in salary with other schools we play!" Is this a correct assumption on my part? Thanks for taking the call...I'll hang up and listen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am very curious about this concept of "overpaying" coaches when data suggests that we do not. I am going to post a hypothetical question and would love some feeback, especially from some of the more vocal critics here. Assume we were coming off 3 straight wins and paying our coach say $90K plus benefits. Would you still be mad?

My assumption is that most of you would still be upset but would likely deflect some of the current anger at the HC to the AD. "Of course we can't get results, we are paying a high school equivalent salary. We won't be better than we are until we are competitive in salary with other schools we play!" Is this a correct assumption on my part? Thanks for taking the call...I'll hang up and listen.
I don't have an opinion on Collins' salary one way or the other. But, if this was Corporate America, he would be paid somewhere around $300K plus a 35% bonus and maybe options for another $100K. There's no question he is overpaid compared to OTHER comparable organizations ... he is perhaps NOT overpaid compared to other college coaches.

College coaches in general, are massively overpaid IMO.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don't have an opinion on Collins' salary one way or the other. But, if this was Corporate America, he would be paid somewhere around $300K plus a 35% bonus and maybe options for another $100K. There's no question he is overpaid compared to OTHER comparable organizations ... he is perhaps NOT overpaid compared to other college coaches.

College coaches in general, are massively overpaid IMO.
Agree with your sentiment (coaches in general are massively overpaid) relative to program revenue, if you are using a corporate model for comparison. For GT and Collins specifically, he is paid a below-average (and hence below-market-rate) salary for P5 (source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ies-five-surprising-findings-data/5900066002/), which was $4.4M total comp in 2020. I would definitely like to see more incentive-based compensation.

I think coaching staff salary inflation has probably outpaced revenue growth in the sport for the last couple of decades, although there may be some top-tier schools where this isn't the case. I don't see how this trend can continue indefinitely. I also believe that a typical corporate model is not the best for comparison. Since college football is an entertainment business, perhaps a better comparison would be Hollywood - top stars get big bucks for a major movie.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Where can I go to watch student athletes play football? That’s all I want. The SECheaters shouldn’t be considered student athletes anymore, at least in CFB. Universities should make a decision, semi-pro paid players or true students. I’m losing interest in CFB just like I lost interest in the NFL about 5 years ago.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Where can I go to watch student athletes play football? That’s all I want. The SECheaters shouldn’t be considered student athletes anymore, at least in CFB. Universities should make a decision, semi-pro paid players or true students. I’m losing interest in CFB just like I lost interest in the NFL about 5 years ago.
Ivy League. No athletic scholarships but they do give admission exceptions for athletes. Probably figure out a way to give them financial assistance. At least it used to be that way.
CFB is moving to a super conference or two that are the factories and then another group of teams that have at least some academic standards. They would probably split from the NCAA and make their own rules. The NCAA is already bending over backwards to appease the factories which is widening the gap. Enforcement is now a joke.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I teach at Auburn and have a LOT of student athletes in my classes. They are often the best students because their attendance and their performance is tracked. On top of that, are 4 hours of practice a day for their sport. If you look at all the nice athletic facilities we have for faculty, students, etc .... the athletic program built that. I dont have a problem with it. The fact is, college sports have evolved and it’s not going back.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Somebody has to get control of this NIL stuff or it is really going to ruin the sport. There needs to be a cap on this per player and there needs to be a cap set for how much a school can spend on a fb program that includes coaching staff salaries, Analysts, recruiting, everything.
I hear you and sympathize with your concerns but it is already "ruined", the genie is out of the bottle as one poster said and the rich will get richer. The top tier of the football factories, the dozen or so perennial playoff contenders will separate themselves, first from the "wannabes" the rest of the top 30 or so. The bottom 100 will become serfs with no chance to compete. College football will become a 3 tier sport with players becoming a professional in all but name. IIWII