Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The transfer rule is probably the biggest change but It still has to do with NIL. Unless you believe Addison was going to transfer to USC even if they didn't offer him 2-3 million dollars. There were rumors of other big schools trying to get Addison before USC came into the picture with their truck load of cash. Apparently they weren't offering enough.
We don’t know. Bit we do know players have been transferring schools for years. And the #1 excuse, I mean reason, was to be closer to home. How many sob stories did we hear about sick grandparents or parents. It was mostly a ruse to try and gain immediate eligibility. Regarding Addison, who cares. Maybe he looked around a said - I’m a pretty good WR and I just lost my QB to the NFL and the weather here sucks. Maybe I’ll look at USC who just lured a top tier coach away from a top tier school who is known to have dynamic pass first offenses. And the weather and women are outstanding. The 2 million may just be the icing that he lucked into because of the current dynamics. Good for him, just like good for Gibbs, and any of the players transferring to GT. They are using the current system just like players have always taken advantage of the system at that time. We could have a top tier team at any time GT wants to have one.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone seen Lincoln Riley’s perp walk by the NCAA police force yet? Just curious. And to all our west coast peeps, be careful. I’ve heard reports of a man demanding proper handshakes and muttering to himself roaming along Vermont Ave.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

That’s a huge allegation right? Supposed to be no offers / discussions or even contact prior to portal entry right? Please say who... and please make an example of them. Something to temper this madness would be really nice.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s a huge allegation right? Supposed to be no offers / discussions or even contact prior to portal entry right? Please say who... and please make an example of them. Something to temper this madness would be really nice.
Correct, but we all know these rules are not followed. Just like people would poach before the portal by going through the high school coach and others, they will do the same now. Hard to compete with a 7 figure offer if you are a school like GT though.

slugboy

Staff member
If someone walks up to their coach and says “Oklahoma offered me $1.5 mil to transfer”
1. You’re mad
2. You find a way to confirm the offer
3. You match

You don’t do 3 unless you do 2.
This story is probably after 3

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure it wasn't someone officially with the program who made this offer to him. Makes it nearly impossible to prove the school was involved. There is basically no way to enforce that rule unless the programs abusing it are incredibly sloppy.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It's kinda like after prohibition when you had to show an id to drink...sure you good, says the bartender. Making something legal that used to be illegal, increasing the previously illegal behavior. We are now at the stage where NIL is accepting piss poor ids. It will take the SCOTUS to "try" and make ids legit.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Correct, but we all know these rules are not followed. Just like people would poach before the portal by going through the high school coach and others, they will do the same now. Hard to compete with a 7 figure offer if you are a school like GT though.
What? GT can absolutely compete. They just need to pony up. The problem is we are fans of a school who has proven they simply don’t care. They didn’t under the old system and they have shown they don’t under the new system. That’s an us problem not a system problem.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
What? GT can absolutely compete. They just need to pony up. The problem is we are fans of a school who has proven they simply don’t care. They didn’t under the old system and they have shown they don’t under the new system. That’s an us problem not a system problem.
You think this NIL money is coming from the school/athletic department?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You think this NIL money is coming from the school/athletic department?
Come on man. How naive can you be. If you don’t think the staffs of the big time schools aren’t orchestrating everything then I guess you believe 5 stars go to UGA because they like Kirby’s personality. Good gracious. Yeah, I believe that Lincoln Riley is just so lucky that unbeknownst to him he wakes up one morning and has a Heisman candidate QB show up at the facility and the top WR in the country. I guess you need to see a check with University of Alabama in the upper left hand corner for you to believe they are doing anything untoward. Let me open your eyes - folks who are trying to get away with something wrong or illegal often attempt to evade detection and hide what they are doing. I know your mind is blown.

And I never said the money comes directly from the school, but the scheme darn sure originates with a school employee. Like I said, if GT wanted to get Caleb Williams or Gibbs they could have.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I think the court battles could be interesting. IANAL, but I think the boosters are overstating their positions. Even the California law says that schools, athletic associations, conferences, or any other group with authority over college athletics can't provide NIL money. The NCAA rules say that boosters are part of the athletic departments. It would be very difficult to argue that large boosters have no authority over college athletics. Also, if the NCAA could prove that coaches or people from an athletic department are helping to coordinate the deals, then it would indicate that the boosters do have influence and authority.

Then of course it is possible that the NCAA won't do anything about USC or Texas, but will try to show how serious they are when an athlete at a school like GT gets a pair of $150 sneakers for nationwide radio ads for Adidas.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
Come on man. How naive can you be. If you don’t think the staffs of the big time schools aren’t orchestrating everything then I guess you believe 5 stars go to UGA because they like Kirby’s personality. Good gracious. Yeah, I believe that Lincoln Riley is just so lucky that unbeknownst to him he wakes up one morning and has a Heisman candidate QB show up at the facility and the top WR in the country. I guess you need to see a check with University of Alabama in the upper left hand corner for you to believe they are doing anything untoward. Let me open your eyes - folks who are trying to get away with something wrong or illegal often attempt to evade detection and hide what they are doing. I know your mind is blown.

And I never said the money comes directly from the school, but the scheme darn sure originates with a school employee. Like I said, if GT wanted to get Caleb Williams or Gibbs they could have.
I never said I don't think the staff is arranging things. I don't think GT has the deep pocketed donors that other schools (like Texas) have setting up collectives. So, I don't think that GT has the ability to make 7 figure NIL offers like others can.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
GT can absolutely set up the same money funneling schemes as the big boys do. GT chooses not to which is why over the past 70 years we have gone from a national brand top 20 program to a door mat. Does it not open eyes when every other D1 southern team has improved their program over the past 70 years while GT has gone the other way? It’s basically GT and Tulane of the southern schools who have fallen apart. Seriously, every other school has improved their program except us. Auburn, Bama, Maimi, FSU, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St are all in a higher tier than they were back in the 50’s and 60’s. GT has fallen way down. It has nothing to do with NIL. It has to do with the mindset to do the things it takes and GT has chosen not to. And now it’s infiltrated our hoops program. At this point we should just go with the Vandy model and take the TV money and pick either hoops or baseball to buy players and forget everything else since we are getting absolutely zero out of the football program other than making Collins rich.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. Just sayin.. what few rules are left, that’s a big allegation. I have a feeling that’s one a lot of other schools will get sideways about. It’s one thing if your rival is paying kids in the portal,,, quite another if they are bribing them out of your house. That’ll have to be addressed.

If someone walks up to their coach and says “Oklahoma offered me $1.5 mil to transfer”
1. You’re mad
2. You find a way to confirm the offer
3. You match

You don’t do 3 unless you do 2.
This story is probably after 3
Or... sting operation. Take those cheatin sos and sos out.

I'm sure it wasn't someone officially with the program who made this offer to him. Makes it nearly impossible to prove the school was involved. There is basically no way to enforce that rule unless the programs abusing it are incredibly sloppy.
You’re right... bag men are flourishing in this NIL market. Like I said above; this is one area where I think other schools get fed up and call out bad actors. You’re right, it’ll be near impossible to prove unless they’re sloppy but with all of the player movement and money flying right now, someone is going to get sloppy enough... I hope.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Who is going to take them out? It’s not illegal to give a private citizen money. Therefore, no government entity can take them out. The NCAA is a shell organization run by the bowl committee and ESPN so they won’t do anything. There is no savior out there. College football is the definition of the slippery slope. And here we are 50-60 years down that slope. Everyone should just go independent with no rules. That‘s the only way it will ever even out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the court battles could be interesting. IANAL, but I think the boosters are overstating their positions. Even the California law says that schools, athletic associations, conferences, or any other group with authority over college athletics can't provide NIL money. The NCAA rules say that boosters are part of the athletic departments. It would be very difficult to argue that large boosters have no authority over college athletics. Also, if the NCAA could prove that coaches or people from an athletic department are helping to coordinate the deals, then it would indicate that the boosters do have influence and authority.

Then of course it is possible that the NCAA won't do anything about USC or Texas, but will try to show how serious they are when an athlete at a school like GT gets a pair of $150 sneakers for nationwide radio ads for Adidas.
But the law is what counts, and unless the law recognizes that distinction it seems to me that it doesn't matter what the NCAA says.
The law supersedes and nullifies NCAA rules. I'm guessing this will end up in court, but I wouldn't bet on the NCAA.