Can we put at least one myth to rest?

Deleted member 2897

Duke 6 upper class men 6 under clansmen on d l and lb
Irr
In the Duke game the unblock defensive end - made several plays where got a piece of the ball carrier on the none pitch and on the pitch. He was not fooled either way - but was not fooled enough so a clean run occurred.
It's like his feet are ready to take the pitch and his shoulders are ready to take the keep. Kind of baiting the qb as u do in basketball.

The runner was slowed down enough that the pursuit made the play for a short gain.

I could be getting confirmation bias as I am trying to figure out why we arent running more TO. We have devolved to at v t the qb and all backs run around right end against d l and lb made up of 2 upperclassmen and 12 underclassmen.

I wonder if that's going to work. What do u think about the unblocked guys role is now to position to make some disruption of the play verses making a play.

I want to see the TO

Also remember though that against Duke our OL was calling blocking schemes that went counter to the called plays for awhile, which let people run free into our backfield.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The extra practice thing is true-ish. We tend struggle against teams that have a BYE or play an option team before they play us, based on purely my gut feeling the past few years. I haven't really looked up the numbers but I don't think it was a coincidence that everyone tries to buy extra time to the point the ACC had to make a rule about it after last year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The extra practice thing is true-ish. We tend struggle against teams that have a BYE or play an option team before they play us, based on purely my gut feeling the past few years. I haven't really looked up the numbers but I don't think it was a coincidence that everyone tries to buy extra time to the point the ACC had to make a rule about it after last year.

I'm gonna go out on a pretty strong limb and say every team shows struggles vs an opponent who's had multiple time to prep for them. It's just not a "stat" that gets tracked for anyone else.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it disproportionately helps against our team since our offense forces defense's to play the majority of the game in a set they aren't used to. Like I don't think that extra time vs UGA, for example, would help a ton because of how vanilla their offense is.

I guess another way to put it is that if you believe that running the offense we do "levels the playing field" or let's us "punch above our weight class" then you have to also believe extra time to practice it will negate some of that benefit. I don't really think the other offenses in the ACC really have the ability to neutralize a talent disparity like the spread option.

Deleted member 2897

On a related note, FEI hasn't updated their rankings yet (we were the #11 offense in the country before our blowout against Virginia Tech), but S&P+ has. We are the #2 offense in the country in success rate (#15 overall offense), which is a measurement of offensive efficiency - whether every play of a given game was successful or not. The terms of success in college football: 50 percent of necessary yardage on first down, 70 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down. The only team with a higher offensive success rate in the country than Georgia Tech is Alabama. And against common opponents (Louisville) we have fared better than Alabama did. WE WANT - oh, nevermind.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
On a related note, FEI hasn't updated their rankings yet (we were the #11 offense in the country before our blowout against Virginia Tech), but S&P+ has. We are the #2 offense in the country in success rate (#15 overall offense), which is a measurement of offensive efficiency - whether every play of a given game was successful or not. The terms of success in college football: 50 percent of necessary yardage on first down, 70 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down. The only team with a higher offensive success rate in the country than Georgia Tech is Alabama. And against common opponents (Louisville) we have fared better than Alabama did. WE WANT - oh, nevermind.
I really like how S&P+ calculates play efficiency.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Also remember though that against Duke our OL was calling blocking schemes that went counter to the called plays for awhile, which let people run free into our backfield.
Yes, the inside story i heard was on first series the soph rg got it flat wrong. Later tqm had several - checked - to another call 3 times.
The TO is intricate.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, the inside story i heard was on first series the soph rg got it flat wrong. Later tqm had several - checked - to another call 3 times.
The TO is intricate.

I read/heard (in post game interview from CPJ) it was a different player and it went for longer. Who knows what reality is. But it was at least confirmed it happened...what was so damning about it was that apparently we practiced all week a certain way for how Duke was going to play defense and then the line calls were changed at the line of scrimmage on the fly. So all the skill players on offense were playing one way, but the OL was playing another.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Eh. I love the fact that we own Foster and VPI, but you are using an exception to try and prove a rule.

The rest of the Coastal hasn't had as much trouble with our offense in recent years, particularly Duke and Pitt.

Duke and Pitt have had good Ds recently. Which goes back to a main point made by the OP.

At the end of the day, it's like every other offense -- execution, turnovers and talent dictate the outcome, not the scheme. (Van Gorder did a lot better against it with ND talent than Louisville talent.).

We do not run a magical scheme capable of beating BAma or Clem talent without having some elite level talent ourselves.

We do have a scheme that is incredibly efficient and daunting to slow down when we have the players to run it. We’ve done it before and will do it again.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

You jest but i can bet that Nick Saban does not want us. Tua would kill us yes. But there is always the danger when you play an option team that you don't get the ball enough and saban has only had to coach against it once when southern put 301 yards on a defense that was allowing 68 a game. A few of his allstars playing out of scheme ( which happens even to them now) and suddenly your down with limited possessions. Even if you win you stand the chance of tarnishing a defense. Plus if we play bama Dodd's luck will come into play.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
But there is always the danger when you play an option team that you don't get the ball enough and saban has only had to coach against it once when southern put 301 yards on a defense that was allowing 68 a game. A few of his allstars playing out of scheme ( which happens even to them now) and suddenly your down with limited possessions.

The best part of that game was Saban getting all mad at his post-game presser and saying, "DID YOU SEE THAT? THEY WENT THROUGH US LIKE XXXX THROUGH A TIN HORN."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I read/heard (in post game interview from CPJ) it was a different player and it went for longer. Who knows what reality is. But it was at least confirmed it happened...what was so damning about it was that apparently we practiced all week a certain way for how Duke was going to play defense and then the line calls were changed at the line of scrimmage on the fly. So all the skill players on offense were playing one way, but the OL was playing another.
I wonder how the TO (Tobias Offense) would have fared against the Dukies?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is a picture of shamire going one way and tqm and crew going another.

Need an oc to get this straight
. Or
maybe after 10 years w same ol coach?? .

Wouldn't have mattered on this play -- 3 R Smith is all world.

20171231_212907.jpg

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would think winning the game is the most important thing. Not whether CPJ & his O are sanctified, or if we win with D or S/T.

But,appears O is the only thing that matters to many.