Can we put at least one myth to rest?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
"Teams that face the option regularly have figured out how to stop it."

No single defensive coordinator has faced the GT option more than Bud Foster, who is generally regarded among the top DCs in the nation.

Over the last three games against GT: 1035 total rushing yards (5.4 a carry), 35.7 points per game

Highlighted by Thursday's game, Foster knew exactly what GT was going to do and had seen it 10 prior times.

At the end of the day, it's like every other offense -- execution, turnovers and talent dictate the outcome, not the scheme. (Van Gorder did a lot better against it with ND talent than Louisville talent.)

The beauty of what we saw on Thursday is that when it's working and you do get a defensive stop or two, the opposing team is more likely to press and make a mistake since they know there won't be a ton of possessions.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to take the bait. CPJ and Foster said that we ran very little option and a lot of QB sweeps and dives, so you are half right, they didn't stop us but it wasn't the option they couldn't stop.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I do think teams that face the option regularly do a better job against it. Part of the issue with this year's Va Tech team is that the defense is full of young players. Not many had played major roles in previous games against us.

Our offense isn't based on some magic incantation that can be stopped if you've seen it before, but it certainly helps the defense if they've played against us running it at full speed multiple times. Scout teams have a tough time replicating what we do.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I have to take the bait. CPJ and Foster said that we ran very little option and a lot of QB sweeps and dives, so you are half right, they didn't stop us but it wasn't the option they couldn't stop.

My point is that GT didn't run anything that Foster hadn't seen previously. It was probably similar to Matthew Jordan in 2016. I think the myth is that other teams know "which buttons to push" since they play it every year. It's like saying that we should stop Clemson's offense since we face it every year.

I do think teams that face the option regularly do a better job against it. Part of the issue with this year's Va Tech team is that the defense is full of young players. Not many had played major roles in previous games against us.

Our offense isn't based on some magic incantation that can be stopped if you've seen it before, but it certainly helps the defense if they've played against us running it at full speed multiple times. Scout teams have a tough time replicating what we do.

They are young, but also have a vaunted defensive coordinator. Believe they entered the game top 5-10 in the country in red zone defense. GT went 7-for-7 with 7 TDs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
VT was set up to stop the veer and we ran a straight QB sweep instead. That really overloaded defenders out at the edge; the play looks like a veer coming around the corner until you suddenly realize (it must have been a sinking feeling) that the BB is out there too and there's not going to be a pitch. Oops.

It was a perfect storm. They are set up to defend against TaQuon and the full offense; we run double options, a toss or two, and a ton of QB sweeps. Or, to put it short, we out schemed them out of necessity.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe we can throw in the whole "if teams have more than 1 week to prepare, then the offense has no chance"?

I haven't seen/heard that one as much recently, but there should be more than enough data to show that extra prep isn't the one key to stopping the option.

CPJs ACC record across is 11 years is just under 0.600.

When we face a team who got a Bye Week against us when we didn't get one, we are 4-9 or 0.300. Now that's more about cheating via a schedule and probably most teams get an advantage if they get an extra week, but certainly with us it has hurt us tremendously. Over CPJs tenure, the ACC Scheduling costs us 1 less Win and 1 extra Loss every other year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"Teams that face the option regularly have figured out how to stop it."

No single defensive coordinator has faced the GT option more than Bud Foster, who is generally regarded among the top DCs in the nation.

Over the last three games against GT: 1035 total rushing yards (5.4 a carry), 35.7 points per game

Highlighted by Thursday's game, Foster knew exactly what GT was going to do and had seen it 10 prior times.

At the end of the day, it's like every other offense -- execution, turnovers and talent dictate the outcome, not the scheme. (Van Gorder did a lot better against it with ND talent than Louisville talent.)

The beauty of what we saw on Thursday is that when it's working and you do get a defensive stop or two, the opposing team is more likely to press and make a mistake since they know there won't be a ton of possessions.
This is full of false specic statements to the point that it does not deserve specific reply.

Yea our scheme is so good everybody uses it. LIKE NOBODY

Oh but since no one uses it - now more new programs starting up like us they keep stealing our offensive coaches.
BRONDO HAS ELECTROLYTES

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJs ACC record across is 11 years is just under 0.600.

When we face a team who got a Bye Week against us when we didn't get one, we are 4-9 or 0.300. Now that's more about cheating via a schedule and probably most teams get an advantage if they get an extra week, but certainly with us it has hurt us tremendously. Over CPJs tenure, the ACC Scheduling costs us 1 less Win and 1 extra Loss every other year.

I wonder what most teams record is when they face a team that gets a bye week but that don't.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think there is some truth to the idea that teams that face the option every year generally do better against us. That said, there are loads of variables, including the relative talent of the teams in any given year, whether they have a new DC, and how experienced the actually players on D are. In general though, if a team like Duke can get defensive players that are “old and stay old” with experience against the option, that does help. On the flip side, there is a reason why we are something like 10-1 against the rotating Atlantic division that rarely sees us.

I also think teams benefit with extra time to prepare like a bye week. The data bears that out. We have a significantly worse record against teams that had an extra week to prepare for us when we didn’t have one to prepare for them. That said, we also have a significantly better record against teams when we have a bye and they don’t, so it ain’t all about our system.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Only "narrative" I want put permanently to rest is the whole, "Hyuk, hyuk .. look Bob, this offense really doesn't want to be in 3rd-n-long, blah, bleh, bluh ..."

Uh Bob, NO OFFENSE WANTS TO BE IN 3RD-N-LONG!!!

Plus, we actually aren't bad in 3rd-n-long.

Sorry(not sorry) for the tangent.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More time helps anyone against any team.

Now, practicing more against our O and having seen it before does help too... samething for any offense. Learning to trick the reads, body placements, line shifts, pinching on the PT or center, when to fire corners, cross charges, shooting gaps, etc is a plus to a veteran experienced spread option defense. Overloading an young defense is a possibility too.

There is no blue print but there are keys. The biggest key is a good option veteran defense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Only "narrative" I want put permanently to rest is the whole, "Hyuk, hyuk .. look Bob, this offense really doesn't want to be in 3rd-n-long, blah, bleh, bluh ..."

Uh Bob, NO OFFENSE WANTS TO BE IN 3RD-N-LONG!!!

Plus, we actually aren't bad in 3rd-n-long.

Sorry(not sorry) for the tangent.
I watched the UF UGA game this weekend. UF had a 3rd and 15. They line up in the shotgun, and my heart is pulsing with excitement to see how a team BUILT for 3rd and long handles the situation.

They threw a swing pass 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and maybe gained 1. :rolleyes:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I watched the UF UGA game this weekend. UF had a 3rd and 15. They line up in the shotgun, and my heart is pulsing with excitement to see how a team BUILT for 3rd and long handles the situation.

They threw a swing pass 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and maybe gained 1. :rolleyes:

But first did they go full-prairie dog with 20 seconds left on the play clock where everybody on the offense pops up and looks to the sidelines for some rando "coach" to hold up the sign with DJ Khaled's picture which apparently means ... something?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
More time helps anyone against any team.

Now, practicing more against our O and having seen it before does help too... samething for any offense. Learning to trick the reads, body placements, line shifts, pinching on the PT or center, when to fire corners, cross charges, shooting gaps, etc is a plus to a veteran experienced spread option defense. Overloading an young defense is a possibility too.

There is no blue print but there are keys. The biggest key is a good option veteran defense.
Duke 6 upper class men 6 under clansmen on d l and lb
Irr
In the Duke game the unblock defensive end - made several plays where got a piece of the ball carrier on the none pitch and on the pitch. He was not fooled either way - but was not fooled enough so a clean run occurred.
It's like his feet are ready to take the pitch and his shoulders are ready to take the keep. Kind of baiting the qb as u do in basketball.

The runner was slowed down enough that the pursuit made the play for a short gain.

I could be getting confirmation bias as I am trying to figure out why we arent running more TO. We have devolved to at v t the qb and all backs run around right end against d l and lb made up of 2 upperclassmen and 12 underclassmen.

I wonder if that's going to work. What do u think about the unblocked guys role is now to position to make some disruption of the play verses making a play.

I want to see the TO