Can we hire Mark Price.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this possible, i've been thinking about it for a long time. I know its pretty unrealistic but he is an assistant in the NBA right now.
The short answer is that it's complicated.

The long answer is yes, but there are a multitude of factors to consider including:
  • He was turned down previously as a package deal with Craig Neal by the former AD. I'd like to think that wouldn't leave a poor taste in his mouth
  • All of his kids appear to be of college age/graduating, so that may no longer be the hurdle it was his go around as an assistant.
  • Does he want to spend the time on the road necessary to recruit? This also connected back to his kids being younger.
  • How much is he making as an assistant and can we pay him something comparable, or preferably better?
I think both Craig Neal (showing he can do it) and Jarrett Jack (High hoops IQ & would be a monster recruiter) could both be successful GT head coaches someday.

I'm positive Mark Price WOULD be successful as a GT head coach. His combination of drive, intelligence, NBA experience, & legendary status at GT would attract talent, motivate them on the court, & put them in position to play pro ball.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Can we? Sure
Should we? Probably not right now.

Not while the program is in disarray. If he comes into a trainwreck and cant turn it around and you have to fire him it could tarnish his legacy and noone wants that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nope. If he'd played anywhere but here he wouldn't make anyone's top 100 as our coach. His name rings bells with us old guys but no one he'd be recruiting has a clue who he is or what he did. I think that's harsh but also true and relevant.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can we? Sure
Should we? Probably not right now.

Not while the program is in disarray. If he comes into a trainwreck and cant turn it around and you have to fire him it could tarnish his legacy and noone wants that.

To hear many here tell it, any good coach should be able to come and have this program tournament ready in three or four years. Why not Mark? I think that he would succeed, but not without his bumps and bruises. The difference is that the GT fan base would be more understanding with him and give him what was needed the most.. Support!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nope. If he'd played anywhere but here he wouldn't make anyone's top 100 as our coach. His name rings bells with us old guys but no one he'd be recruiting has a clue who he is or what he did. I think that's harsh but also true and relevant.

Your argument kind of destroys itself. His name rings bells with old guys... like the HS & Travel Team coaches that are steering kids to programs. You hire good assistants to make recruiting connections and develop relationships, then have him walking in as a legendary GT player and highly regarded NBA player & coach.

He wins the press conference by showing up and he wins kids over because he's a former all-star during the time of Michael Jordan and he's known to help improve basketball skills.

I realize Danny Manning had more college coaching experience leading up to his Wake gig, but it's practically the same situation.

Mark Price conceptually is a slam dunk. It's a matter of timing, resources available to him, & him wanting to do it. If you're going to put him in the chair, you have to give him real support and the AA & fans have to make the statement that they're going to rally behind him with butts in seats and money to be spent.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Assuming that there is truth to the rumor, I really don't know what on earth DRad was thinking by not going to the Noodles/Mark Price route before.

It was perfect timing for that to happen and the program really needed something to link it to the past. Not to mention the obvious benefits that they bring to the table.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Assuming that there is truth to the rumor, I really don't know what on earth DRad was thinking by not going to the Noodles/Mark Price route before.

It was perfect timing for that to happen and the program really needed something to link it to the past. Not to mention the obvious benefits that they bring to the table.
Rumors were that he gave them a courtesy interview but didn't really go further because neither had head coaching experience.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Is this possible, i've been thinking about it for a long time. I know its pretty unrealistic but he is an assistant in the NBA right now.
I LOVE Mark as a player but coaching is a whole different animal esp college coaching.RECRUITING AND KEEPING guys is key.The coaching is less than half the deal.He could easily be a bust.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know what... I'm just gonna leave this here. At your leisure, peruse the wikipedia page, maybe look at some of the articles. I'll bet you'll come away with a feeling he could be the complete package at GT, based on what he's done since he left GT. I'd bet money he'd be fine recruiting & retaining, but at the end of the day, I think he stays in the NBA for the long haul.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mark+price

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
To hear many here tell it, any good coach should be able to come and have this program tournament ready in three or four years. Why not Mark? I think that he would succeed, but not without his bumps and bruises. The difference is that the GT fan base would be more understanding with him and give him what was needed the most.. Support!

Why not Mark?
For reasons I just stated. He doesnt have the experience and if he didnt turn it around his legacy may be tarnished as a result.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@dtm1997 I think we agree on everything but this. Oh well, we'll always have our mutual DRad hate. :p

Seriously though, I don't even think Price's name rings bells with AAU/HS coaches all that much. It's possible he could get the job and make us all proud. Look at what the Mayor's done at IowaSt. I just think GT is/should be a plum job. We need someone that can come in and hit the ground running.

I'm sure Price loves GT more than us but that doesn't always translate to wins. Plus, who'd want to have to fire him if it doesn't work out.

Ah well, at the end of the day I'm too tired to fight against it. Fine, hire Mark Price ... but only if he brings John Salley with him. That would be a sight to see on the Flats. If anyone could sell GT Salley could. Every time I hear him speak it's so pro-GT even after all these years. What was I talking about again?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 I would bet heavily that Mark Price would be instant name recognition in recruiting circles. How young do you think these HS & AAU coaches are?

He's an NBA assistant coach today and has worked with name brand young talents. He's a former NBA all-star. You can even put the part about being a GT legend last. The first 2 items would go a long way with recruits.

I'm not advocating hiring him or not hiring him, but I'd feel confident the results would be closer to Hoiberg than not.

I'm perfectly fine agreeing to disagree.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I take it back.
IF he can teach players how to feed the post and shoot a basketball. Im in.
Can he start tomorrow?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not while the program is in disarray. If he comes into a trainwreck and cant turn it around and you have to fire him it could tarnish his legacy and noone wants that. - @Peacone36

Yeah, I saw that, but I take that as more hyperbole. "Train wreck" and "disarray" are a bit much - even for the most dramatic. The reality is that if that we have a new coach this time next year, they will find themselves in a position unfamiliar to most new coaches. They'll inherit a roster with a number of upperclassmen and a good mix of young talent. In addition, there will be a number of scholarships in the upcoming class to help replenish the roster.

It will be an attractive position, and a much better situation than what Gregory inherited when he was hired. I'm not going to pretend like everything is rainbows and sunshine with regard to our program, but the reality is that we are 6-2 coming off of a game we should have won, but we still have an opportunity to enter conference play with a very solid record. In short, our situation is far from a "train wreck" or "disarray".

What Gregory has done may not be translating to W's on the court, but he has built a pretty solid program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Granted, we have a pretty solid baseline of what our 6-2 record represents with wins against the big time schools that we have beat so convincingly and looked so good doing it. Or at least I do. Realistically we can win around 5-7 acc games with no postseason giving us 23 ACC wins under CBG in 4 years. Not sure what qualifies as a train wreck for you. For me, in that city, in that state, playing in that conference. Thats a disaster. Just for a giggle, CPH's last four years at GT, he won 21. What an improvement!

The position will be attractive indeed. Bunch of schollies, a backcourt loaded with potential, a sniper from deep.

I also consider solid program and Ws to be mutually exclusive.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Think he would do great. He was interviewed for the Cavs job. Also I bet he would bring some kids in here that can shoot the rock. Would love for this to happen.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couple of items on this. First on the whole Neal/Price package. Part of the issue there was the reps for the 2 parties were spinning it differently.
Price's reps had Price as the HC and Neal as the top asst. Neal's reps had Neal as the HC and Price as the top asst. At the time neither had HC experience at the college level.

Mark would also have to show in inclination to recruit. He never wanted to be out recruiting as an asst. That would have to change. I'm not sure he has the drive in recruiting that is necessary to succeed at the college level.

If you were to hire Mark you would need to make sure you hire a couple of assts with extremely strong AAU contacts.

In the end, if we need to make a change after this season and Mark is interested I hope he would get an interview. I'm really not concerned overall about a hire as MBob's history is quite strong there.

My #1 is still Gregg Marshall (as it has been for probably 6 years) but unfortunately that ship sailed years ago.

RamblinRed