Can’t be Harvard Sun-Friday and expect to be Alabama on Saturday

MountPGT1990

Banned
GT has struggled with this mantra for decades upon decades. We expect to compete and win against the factory schools like FSU, Clemson, UGA, etc yet we don’t play by the same rules and that’s what’s so frustrating being a Tech fan. We are so close yet so so far away from being an elite program that can consistently produce high level teams.

We have high academic requirements and a shoddy below avg budget to compete with the FSUs, Clemson’s, etc. It’s not a fair fight and the odds are always stacked against us , sure we can pull upsets every now and then but that’s about as good as it gets for GT. We pride ourselves on the academic side and handicap ourselves yet still think we should not only compete with but beat the big boys. Can’t have it both ways guys, you can site Stanford but they’re a different animal.

Dave Braine knew this and voiced it and got ostsracized for it but he was 100% correct and hit the nail on the head and apparently hit a nerve with most of the Alumni but I give him kudos for speaking the truth .

We’re stuck in mediocrity for eternity due to our limitations with academics and proper funding to pay coaching staffs and upgrade facilities.

We are not a factory school and will never have top 25 recruiting classes on a consistent basis. In fact, we’ve had one in 20 years with Chan.

Everyone is pissed about Ted and D and some want a change but it’s like doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It’s insanity beinga GT fan because we are so close to being a good program yet we always fall short and can rarely put two good seasons together . Best we can do is once or twice a decade maybe make it to and possibly win a BCS game if all the stars align.

It could be worse we could be UVA or Duke or A complete scrub program in football . We’re just stuck in the middle of factory schools and below avg programs that struggle to make Bowl games.

Last edited:

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Having another 2014 season isn't out of reach, CPJ can field a top 10 team just maybe not every year. Honestly though during CPJ's tenure, the ACC has only gotten more competitive. FSU had their run, now its Clemson and maybe even Miami.

We are also stuck in a weird area with our fan base, we can't sell out home games and the media coverage is crap for GT. Even when Georgia has a bad year like last year, they still get more press than us.

I still say lets see how the year pans out, last night sucked but we can beat Wake and cuse showed we can beat Clemson as well. Our luck just isn't with Richt

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yes. And given a choice of producing some of the best young talent in business today and winning a meaningless (and, by any accounting, it is frankly meaningless) national championship in a boys game, I'd choose the former. All day and twice on Saturday. I'm proud that we have a freaking chance to win the occasional conference or national championship and still be ranked in the top six in every engineering discipline we teach. Women and men of character who make an unbelievable difference are what we produce, and it is simply way more important than football, basketball, tennis or golf. Would it be nice to win in every at endeavor? Sure, and we should always strive to be the best in everything. But any decent leader will tell you that winning strategy is deciding what you are going to excel in and invest disproportionally in that.

I'm very pleased with the choices we've made. And I cheer like crazy on Saturday for the Jackets to prevail on the field.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Having another 2014 season isn't out of reach, CPJ can field a top 10 team just maybe not every year. Honestly though during CPJ's tenure, the ACC has only gotten more competitive. FSU had their run, now its Clemson and maybe even Miami.

We are also stuck in a weird area with our fan base, we can't sell out home games and the media coverage is crap for GT. Even when Georgia has a bad year like last year, they still get more press than us.

I still say lets see how the year pans out, last night sucked but we can beat Wake and cuse showed we can beat Clemson as well. Our luck just isn't with Richt

Yea, let’s see how the season goes but Cuse showed us clemson is beatable by having an excellent passing attack and attacking their secondary the exact opposite of what we have at GT. Their front seven will not allow us to get 200 yards rushing, mark my words. Everyone who is hanging their hat on thinking we can beat Clemson is grasping for straws at this point

MountPGT1990

Banned
Yes. And given a choice of producing some of the best young talent in business today and winning a meaningless (and, by any accounting, it is frankly meaningless) national championship in a boys game, I'd choose the former. All day and twice on Saturday. I'm proud that we have a freaking chance to win the occasional conference or national championship and still be ranked in the top six in every engineering discipline we teach. Women and men of character who make an unbelievable difference are what we produce, and it is simply way more important than football, basketball, tennis or golf. Would it be nice to win in every at endeavor? Sure, and we should always strive to be the best in everything. But any decent leader will tell you that winning strategy is deciding what you are going to excel in and invest disproportionally in that.

I'm very pleased with the choices we've made. And I cheer like crazy on Saturday for the Jackets to prevail on the field.

Yes, and that’s great it’s just our fan base shouldn’t complain when we lose games like this.

In the words of CPJ ...”It is what is”, we’re stuck having a mediocre to slightly above football program at best that produces excellent young men who win 7 games a year

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has struggled with this mantra for decades upon decades. We expect to compete and win against the factory schools like FSU, Clemson, UGA, etc yet we don’t play by the same rules and that’s what’s so frustrating being a Tech fan. We are so close yet so so far away from being an elite program that can consistently produce high level teams.

We have high academic requirements and a shoddy below avg budget to compete with the FSUs, Clemson’s, etc. It’s not a fair fight and the odds are always stacked against us , sure we can pull upsets every now and then but that’s about as good as it gets for GT. We pride ourselves on the academic side and handicap ourselves yet still think we should not only compete with but beat the big boys. Can’t have it both ways guys, you can site Stanford but they’re a different animal.

Dave Braine knew this and voiced it and got ostsracized for it but he was 100% correct and hit the nail on the head and apparently hit a nerve with most of the Alumni but I give him kudos for speaking the truth .

We’re stuck in mediocrity for eternity due to our limitations with academics and proper funding to pay coaching staffs and upgrade facilities.

We are not a factory school and will never have top 25 recruiting classes on a consistent basis. In fact, we’ve had one in 20 years with Chan.

Everyone is pissed about Ted and D and some want a change but it’s like doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It’s insanity beinga GT fan because we are so close to being a good program yet we always fall short and can rarely put two good seasons together . Best we can do is once or twice a decade maybe make it to and possibly win a BCS game if all the stars align.

It could be worse we could be UVA or Duke or A complete scrub program in football . We’re just stuck in the middle of factory schools and below avg programs that struggle to make Bowl games.
This game and TN were there for the taking, dont blame academics

MountPGT1990

Banned
Who can compare us in a specific manner to Harvard?
We suck compared to them.

I would say the same about Alabama in football, we suck compared to them, but that’s the whole point

It’s a mindset at GT. We want to be Harvard during the week and play football like Alabama on Saturday yet It’s an impossible situation that can’t exist which is what Dave Braine boldly said himself. Basically telling GT fans to chill out when we consistently win 7 games a year due to our limitations , can’t have it both ways with excellent academics and an excellent football program. GT is an enigma, above avg academics and slightly above avg football program

Last edited:

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd rather try to be Harvard s-f and [excellent in football] on sat and fail than try to be UNC any day of the week.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say the same about Alabama in football, we suck compared to them, but that’s the whole point

It’s a mindset at GT. We want to be Harvard during the week and play football like Alabama on Saturday yet It’s an impossible situation that can’t exist which is what Dave Braine boldly said himself. Basically telling GT fans to chill out when we consistently win 7 games a year due to our limitations , can’t have it both ways with excellent academics and an excellent football program
Why not? UNcheat just opened the door for academics not to matter at all anymore.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t we have a winning record against FSU? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe we’ve beaten them a couple of times. Haven’t we beaten UGA the last couple of times we’ve played them in Athens? Didn’t we beat Clemson twice in one season? I remember an Orange Bowl where we beat a Mississippi State team that was ranked #1 at one time and was led by a future Dallas Cowboy quarterback. Didn’t we beat an elite west coast USC team in El Paso one year? Sometimes we beat good teams and sometimes we don’t. Sometimes the wind blows our way and sometimes it rains on us.

Look at some other CFB programs. Oregon has more money than anyone and they were destroyed yesterday by Stanford. Texas has no shortage of fans or resources and get the pick of Texas recruits. Where are they ranked? Strange things can happen; Auburn lost to LSU and Clemson lost to Syracuse. But we’re mediocre because we lost by one point to a ranked team?

We beat UNC. They’ve had really good recruiting and their athletes don’t even have to take real classes.

Let’s get behind our guys and show up big and loud for Homecoming.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Please show me how anything I stated is false, will you say the same thing when we finish the year 6-5 or 5-6?
If we finish 5-6, then we won't be very good. But we are 3-2 right now. Neither of the games we lost were due to some big talent gap, we just didn't make the plays. Funny you should bring up FSU because they just lost in much the same way we did to the same team, but they did it at home.
Does FSU just not have the money or too hard academics to compete with Miami?

MountPGT1990

Banned
If we finish 5-6, then we won't be very good. But we are 3-2 right now. Neither of the games we lost were due to some big talent gap, we just didn't make the plays. Funny you should bring up FSU because they just lost in much the same way we did to the same team, but they did it at home.
Does FSU just not have the money or too hard academics to compete with Miami?

They do but they lost their All American QB first game and not too long ago just won a national championship and a heisman trophy

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
They do but they lost their All American QB first game and not too long ago just won a national championship and a heisman trophy
So they had to start a guy with zero experience? Cool, looks like we have something in common with them after all. You would think with all their great recruiting, their backup wouldn't be such a liability.
We lost our top 2 b backs before the season and had our starting b back hurt for the second half, but the mighty FSU gets a pass for having one guy injured.