Can’t be Harvard Sun-Friday and expect to be Alabama on Saturday

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would say the same about Alabama in football, we suck compared to them, but that’s the whole point

It’s a mindset at GT. We want to be Harvard during the week and play football like Alabama on Saturday yet It’s an impossible situation that can’t exist which is what Dave Braine boldly said himself. Basically telling GT fans to chill out when we consistently win 7 games a year due to our limitations , can’t have it both ways with excellent academics and an excellent football program. GT is an enigma, above avg academics and slightly above avg football program
You said Harvard. Be specific? Nobel prize, Rhodes scholars.
Trotting out stupid stuff like Harvard is the same as typing CHAN.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Please show me how anything I stated is false, will you say the same thing when we finish the year 6-5 or 5-6?
Not saying quit but we’re stuck in mediocrity with an occasional excellent season mixed in when stars align that’s all. Said nothing about quitting just being a realist
https://gtswarm.com/posts/353056/

Perhaps you'll respond to facts and data showing you that your reality might be skewed?

Sometimes you make good points, but you often fail to acknowledge being wrong, making it difficult for folks to respond to you seriously. Just my opinion.

MountPGT1990

Banned
https://gtswarm.com/posts/353056/

Perhaps you'll respond to facts and data showing you that your reality might be skewed?

Sometimes you make good points, but you often fail to acknowledge being wrong, making it difficult for folks to respond to you seriously. Just my opinion.

Ok, good point you’re correct. I guess I get into defensive mode from getting attacked by what feels kind the entire board at one time, but you’re right I’m wrong on occasion, haha!

I’m just pissed about another gut wrenching loss and the enigma of our football program- we aren’t fighting a fair fight against factory schools that have big budgets, top notch facilities and top ten recruiting classes on a consistent basis. It’s tough because we are so so close yet so far away due to limitations

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Having another 2014 season isn't out of reach, CPJ can field a top 10 team just maybe not every year. Honestly though during CPJ's tenure, the ACC has only gotten more competitive. FSU had their run, now its Clemson and maybe even Miami.

We are also stuck in a weird area with our fan base, we can't sell out home games and the media coverage is crap for GT. Even when Georgia has a bad year like last year, they still get more press than us.

I still say lets see how the year pans out, last night sucked but we can beat Wake and cuse showed we can beat Clemson as well. Our luck just isn't with Richt

Yeah we are by no means done, but we need some help. The only way to get to a New Years six game is to win the division, and the only realistic chance at the division now would involve Miami losing three games or two division games with a three way tie with us and VT. Second scenario is the most likely of the two. So maybe Miami loses to UVA and VT and we win the rest of our conference games save Clemson. We would go to Charlotte in that scenario. First tiebreaker would be head to head, all 1-1 in those games, then division record, Miami would be eliminated, then back to head to head and we win the tiebreaker over VT. Stranger **** has happened for sure...

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We've trailed 4 seconds in the second half all year...we could easily be 5-0 and you're whining that we can't compete. You guys are what our boneheaded President would call "looooosers". Man up. We can easily average 8-9 wins a season with the right coaching staff.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The ACC Gailey competed in was so much weaker than what we deal with now. CPJ would definitely have flirted with 10 wins every season. Miami and Clemson were bottom level Top 25 teams at best, back then. VT and UGA would have been the only "we most likely will lose" games every year.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC Gailey competed in was so much weaker than what we deal with now. CPJ would definitely have flirted with 10 wins every season. Miami and Clemson were bottom level Top 25 teams at best, back then. VT and UGA would have been the only "we most likely will lose" games every year.
We would have won the thing in 2006 for damn sure.

(Reggie would have been a decent flexbone QB, too)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Several years ago after graduating and moving to chapel hill, I went to a GT alum meeting in Raleigh. Bobby Dodd was the guest speaker. This was probably about 1978 or so. He said exactly the same thing. He said precisely you can't expect to be Harvard 6 days a week and Alabama on Saturday. This is not a new thing for GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Talk about gold colored glasses.

Ga tech has had about 5 rhodes scholars and Harvard 6. Oh thats 5 i n our history and they had 6 last year. Please stop that comparison.

We could move towards being a Harvard of the south. I would use another college from out west but it triggers to many on the thread..

.g t is not allowed to have courses of study that uga offers as we are classified as a research institute. By way Uga now offers engineering.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The posts by @GTBandit22 in this thread are gold and a sound reaction to the game, in my opinion.
I missed that post and after reading it had to "like" it.

These guys who are our players and coaches are bloodied but unbowed. Yea they called a wrong play or 2 and droppsd a ball or 2, but they are our guys.

As Jerry says
Let's go Jackets.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT has struggled with this mantra for decades upon decades. We expect to compete and win against the factory schools like FSU, Clemson, UGA, etc yet we don’t play by the same rules and that’s what’s so frustrating being a Tech fan. We are so close yet so so far away from being an elite program that can consistently produce high level teams.

We have high academic requirements and a shoddy below avg budget to compete with the FSUs, Clemson’s, etc. It’s not a fair fight and the odds are always stacked against us , sure we can pull upsets every now and then but that’s about as good as it gets for GT. We pride ourselves on the academic side and handicap ourselves yet still think we should not only compete with but beat the big boys. Can’t have it both ways guys, you can site Stanford but they’re a different animal.

Dave Braine knew this and voiced it and got ostsracized for it but he was 100% correct and hit the nail on the head and apparently hit a nerve with most of the Alumni but I give him kudos for speaking the truth .

We’re stuck in mediocrity for eternity due to our limitations with academics and proper funding to pay coaching staffs and upgrade facilities.

We are not a factory school and will never have top 25 recruiting classes on a consistent basis. In fact, we’ve had one in 20 years with Chan.

Everyone is pissed about Ted and D and some want a change but it’s like doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It’s insanity beinga GT fan because we are so close to being a good program yet we always fall short and can rarely put two good seasons together . Best we can do is once or twice a decade maybe make it to and possibly win a BCS game if all the stars align.

It could be worse we could be UVA or Duke or A complete scrub program in football . We’re just stuck in the middle of factory schools and below avg programs that struggle to make Bowl games.

Even if all 100% true - just what the hell are we going to do about it? This is pitiful.

We could quit and just play basketball.
We can sit still and ***** & moan.
We could tell the Hill that a really competitive program vs traditional powers actually enhances the school. And tie in academic donations to that.
WE can give more money to GTAA, even at cost of not donating to the Hill.
We can make the Hill give us more flexibility as regards majors & courses. And if any little dickwads want to complain about their degree, they can go to another school, or make themselves more valuable to an employer.

But continually making excuses, whining, crying or whatever one labels it is getting really old after 50 years.

Do the **** something. Anything.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I do wonder about the level of resources we have committed to the program. When I watched the Clemson/Syracuse game, I noticed that there were more people on the sidelines wearing khaki Clemson pants than wearing football pants. If you check the Staff Directory for football on the Clemson site, they have 37 people on the football staff. That includes the Administrative Assistants and something called a "Performance Chef". Miami has 29. Alabama, 34. Duke, 30. Wake Forest, 26. Georgia, 36. Georgia State, 21.

Georgia Tech, 18!

Why is that? Do we just not have the budget for it? Do we share resources with other sports? Maybe I am missing something in the Staff Directory....can someone help me out?

I am not belly-aching about the Harvard/Alabama comparisons, I am really curious how we stack-up in pure manpower being used to reach a solution each Saturday.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder about the level of resources we have committed to the program. When I watched the Clemson/Syracuse game, I noticed that there were more people on the sidelines wearing khaki Clemson pants than wearing football pants. If you check the Staff Directory for football on the Clemson site, they have 37 people on the football staff. That includes the Administrative Assistants and something called a "Performance Chef". Miami has 29. Alabama, 34. Duke, 30. Wake Forest, 26. Georgia, 36. Georgia State, 21.

Georgia Tech, 18!

Why is that? Do we just not have the budget for it? Do we share resources with other sports? Maybe I am missing something in the Staff Directory....can someone help me out?

I am not belly-aching about the Harvard/Alabama comparisons, I am really curious how we stack-up in pure manpower being used to reach a solution each Saturday.
This is an old subject that is discusse d here. It is usually in the off season when guys go at it. You will find the budgets of tb e different univ are all apples and oranges. Vest is good at this stuff.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Georgia Tech, 18!

We have a smaller budget than all but maybe 2 of those teams and most of those “staff” dollars are allocated at the top of the scale. Frankly, I’m ok with the distribution because that’s how we’re able to compete in the first place. Total budget is where we fall short Bigly.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. And given a choice of producing some of the best young talent in business today and winning a meaningless (and, by any accounting, it is frankly meaningless) national championship in a boys game, I'd choose the former. All day and twice on Saturday. I'm proud that we have a freaking chance to win the occasional conference or national championship and still be ranked in the top six in every engineering discipline we teach. Women and men of character who make an unbelievable difference are what we produce, and it is simply way more important than football, basketball, tennis or golf. Would it be nice to win in every at endeavor? Sure, and we should always strive to be the best in everything. But any decent leader will tell you that winning strategy is deciding what you are going to excel in and invest disproportionally in that.

I'm very pleased with the choices we've made. And I cheer like crazy on Saturday for the Jackets to prevail on the field.
Next time you say "TO HELL WITH GEORGIA" ... this is what you need to be thinking because it is a true fact! Excellent post. I could not have said it better myself. GO JACKETS!!! Win the next one!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and that’s great it’s just our fan base shouldn’t complain when we lose games like this.

In the words of CPJ ...”It is what is”, we’re stuck having a mediocre to slightly above football program at best that produces excellent young men who win 7 games a year
Granted this is an over-simplified response to your comment; but not everyone complains. No one likes to lose. I feel most accept and embrace we are not a "factory" school. We must strive to compete given the appropriate constraints (i.e. academics). Winning at Ga Tech feels great!!