Camp Confidential - 8/9

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Passing might not always be 3rd and 8 where the other team knows it is a pass. Roll outs could be used more for the 1st or second down or even in a 3rd and short.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What about SD at BB, AB 1 orbits around to be a lead blocker AB 2 blocks on that side as well. Then JT could option with the SD on the edge with lead blockers. I guess with JT speed you might be able to just let SD or any BB also be a lead blocker as well just to get JT to the edge.
How is that different than the Speed Option?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If that is indeed a problem, then we could move Thomas to wr, Smelter to ab, and Days to qb. We could use this alignment to establish a tendency in the early games and break the tendency at a crucial time later in the schedule.
augustabuzz, Apr 4, 2014Report
#42+ QuoteReply

Could you say a little more about this. I am not sure I understand. [/QUOTE]
The link is to a discussion we had during Spring practice when concern was raised as to Thomas' physicality in short yardage. I stated then that we could move; Days under center, and Thomas to wr, and Smelter to ab without substituting thereby preventing the defense from adjusting personnel.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could you say a little more about this. I am not sure I understand.
The link is to a discussion we had during Spring practice when concern was raised as to Thomas' physicality in short yardage. I stated then that we could move; Days under center, and Thomas to wr, and Smelter to ab without substituting thereby preventing the defense from adjusting personnel.[/QUOTE]
I see. Thank you. That makes sense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see. I agree that JT is very adept at buying time rolling to the right. He is much better than going left, at least last year anyway. Also, with his height it might be easier to see down field.

every qb right handed likes rolling to their right if they have to scramble and throw the ball. As you know, this is nothing unique. But we can't do this so much its a tendency that limits the offense and you can essentially "guess" scheme off of

On of the easiest throws for a right handed QB is a roll left WR come back route on the sideline....all the QB has to do is get far enough left, and square his shoulders and the target is right there literally to hit coming back at him. almost impossible to defend if in man covg (like we see a ton) and the ball is placed on the sideline half.

we have to be multiple, even if the passes are 60 40 right to left that is fine...good enough mix

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's good in theory to have the other team respect the entire playbook. But last year for 3rd and 1 to 3 yards, we ran 66 times and passed 0 (zero). Our team would probably pass out if we passed on 3rd and short. (tic) I think the odds support rushing, even when everyone knows we are going to rush - we made the first 47 of 66 times rushing. But passing is a crap shoot south of 50% (33).

I agree that there is more reason to replace JT with SD than replace TB with SD. Especially for 3rd and short when everyone knows we are going to run already ........

I think it would do wonders if we were to play-action on third and inches once in a while. Even the more if we made it work for a big gain. But just showing it would cause some defensive sphincters to tighten.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
No clue on SD......I heard the Leggett info on a interview that Ken did with CPJ after scrimmage. He said Laskey was minor thing and then someone asked abot Leggett and he said its a "head thing". Days has been around 5 years now and seems to have a little trouble finding a "home" on the field. Maybe he can help with depth at BB. I though he was positioned to finally have a breakout year at AB.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see us use some type of bootleg action to the back side to keep the backside end from crashing down. Many teams do that against us.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Is this the real reason were're seeing Days at BB?

That would be my bet. Even with completely healing, a head injury might cause enough missed practice time to rethink Leggett into a redshirt and therefore Days would be that insurance policy if Laskey misses some PT. I thought I saw J Bryan make 2 BB carries in the scrimmage?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Leggett is hurt and Laskey, then moving Days is a must. I think this is a must now even if Legget and Laskey are ok.

Shoot... Days at BB just for blocking is good enough reason to move him. He could spring JT on the boot leg run and block for passing. Truly this is a perfect move if the other ABs are blocking well. If Days can block at BB then we have a serious advantage in the game.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
every qb right handed likes rolling to their right if they have to scramble and throw the ball. As you know, this is nothing unique. But we can't do this so much its a tendency that limits the offense and you can essentially "guess" scheme off of

On of the easiest throws for a right handed QB is a roll left WR come back route on the sideline....all the QB has to do is get far enough left, and square his shoulders and the target is right there literally to hit coming back at him. almost impossible to defend if in man covg (like we see a ton) and the ball is placed on the sideline half.

we have to be multiple, even if the passes are 60 40 right to left that is fine...good enough mix

When I was told that, the person didn't say that we would do it all the time but I certainly inferred that he was saying we would roll right most of the time. Therefore, they moved our better OT to that side.