Calvin Johnson To Oakland?????????

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
^^This

and I'm pretty sure CJ said that Detroit wouldn't release him from his contract

If he un-retired, his previous contract with Detroit would be in force. He would be tied to them and they'd owe him his salary.

But, as I understand it; Detroit is already close to the salary cap this year. If Megatron un-retired, Detroit would take a $20 million+ cap hit. They'd have to cut/trade valuable players to make room. Also, they're in the midst of trying to negotiate a record $$$ extension with Stafford. So, the thinking is that Detroit would have no choice but to release him. (If they didn't release him. He could really screw them and re-retire right before the season. After they cut/trade valuable players to make room for him.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A key factor to consider in comparing Johnson to the recently un-retired Lynch is that Johnson has given no inkling that he wants to play. In fact, quite the opposite. Johnson is on a mission to acquire his four-year college degree. As a Georgia Tech alumni and student, it was required that Johnson take his remaining classes in person and not online.

A move back home to Georgia is in his future and he admitted to never having felt homesick before.
One could speculate at this time of the NFL calendar over the nine of the last 10 years, his focus was devoted to getting the Lions over the hump. Banging your head against the wall and feeling like your best efforts are futile can break a man. Johnson isn’t the only Hall of Fame career the city has chewed up and spit out, nor will he be the last.

Um, anyone want to state the obvious here?!

Wants to finish his degree at GT?
Has to attend classes in person?
If he returns, wants a chance to win a Super Bowl?
Wants to play with a good/elite QB?

Pretty sure there's one team that can check all those marks, and it ain't the Raiders...

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The other thing about Oakland is that their run game may not be so strong this year. They may take a step back after the loss of Murray. Take it from a Seahawks fan; Marshawn Lynch wasn't the same near the end of his career, and I doubt he'll be any better in Oakland. What I don't understand is this: if he was unhappy playing for Detroit and wanted to play for a different team, why didn't he ask to be traded?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The other thing about Oakland is that their run game may not be so strong this year. They may take a step back after the loss of Murray. Take it from a Seahawks fan; Marshawn Lynch wasn't the same near the end of his career, and I doubt he'll be any better in Oakland. What I don't understand is this: if he was unhappy playing for Detroit and wanted to play for a different team, why didn't he ask to be traded?
Lynch is way better than Murray imo. Lynch not at his best is still better than a lot of RB's in the league. He had a very good year in 2014 and was injured in 2015. I think their run game is going to either stay the same or grow.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Remember when the Raiders had the opportunity to draft Calvin #1 and they selected Jamarcus Russell???

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

upload_2017-7-21_21-34-50.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Complete conjecture but would be fun

247: Broncos named as hypothetical landing spot for Calvin Johnson

That's the opinion, anyway, of Fan Rag Sports writer Bill Williamson, who on Tuesday compiled a list of would-be suitors for retired wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Among them? The Broncos.

"This seems like a John Elway play," wrote Williamson. "Johnson would help the Broncos’ starting quarterback and take pressure off a beat-up running game. He and Demaryius Thomas would make Georgia Tech proud together."

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
F' that...if CJ wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, how about his hometown Atlanta Falcons?! We've got one of the best QBs in Ryan, and he'd play opposite arguably the best WR in the game today, Julio. Oh, and we've actually been to a SB recently...ahem...

Barring that late injury, the Raiders would've been in SB51. That team is looking DANGEROUS right now.