Calling Justin Thomas a Bad Passer is Lazy and Inaccurate

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I watched a replay of the Bama - Tennessee game yesterday and heard that Jalen Hurts has a higher average around 64%. But, the vast majority of his passes are less than 10 yards. (The announcer said 90%, but I'm not sure that's true. Need a fact check.)

I like JT. I think he'd be outstanding with better play calling.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nesbitt had a cannon for an arm, but no touch or accuracy. Washington had no arm strength and struggled throwing on the run, but he read the field well and found check downs quite well by his last year. Both Lee and Thomas are pretty good throwing. Lee just couldn't/wouldn't run the option. JT can make every throw required by the offense. He is surpringly accurate rolling/running to his right and less so to his left. As a pocket passer you could criticize JT a little because of his height I guess. From time to time he doesn't find guys who are running free. That can happen to any QB, but the ones who tend to do well at the next level read the entire defense and know where their guys are going to be. Lil Joe was this way. He read the field better than any TECH QB in my fan-hood.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not really aware of anyone (outside Mutt fans) who say he is a bad passer....

having said that, I will criticize Juston for not going through his progressions on passing plays. There have been times (I noticed one Saturday) where Justin seems to "feel" pressure based on the clock, not real pressure, and throw to his primary option whether he is open or not, as opposed to reading the field and finding an open secondary receiver. I have wondered at times if this was his height causing issues, or if he has been schooled to pass within a certain number of seconds no matter what, or if it is a learned reflex based on 3 years of horrible pass protection.....but this is a valid criticism of Justin.

That being true he is an excellent passer still, imho.....(it's just he could be better, but then, so could I...)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't have many criticisms of JT. His play is solid and he is a headache for opposing Ds. He does fail to see open receivers at times and or fails to target the most open guy. Also fails to lead receivers as well as he should at times, especially on screens or short crossing routes, yeah we do have those plays and use them. JT isn't perfect but he's good. If our WRs were better at getting separation he'd look even better. Our best 2 are more possession receivers than field stretching burners though.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agree about not seeing the field well and I think a lot of that is his height. I’m not sure who’s taller between him and Lil’ Joe but I think they’re both about 5’9”. I will say I think JT, although sometimes inconsistent, has a really nice touch on deep throws. I’ve seen a lot of deep throws go right off the receiver’s finger tips. Usually these are AB’s since they’re the only ones with enough speed to create some separation. Were these actual WR’s maybe they’d come down with it. JT with Thomas or even Hill would be nasty.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Within the framework of this offense, JeT is a good passer. He can make all the throws required from our passing schemes.

What he struggles with is seeing the entire field, and throwing the ball over the middle. Most of his reads are confined to a 3rd of the field of the field for the most part (has marks out). That's OK in this offense because of the design, but there are receivers available he just doesn't see sometimes. Obviously, height is an issue for JeT when he's 5'9-5'10, but it's not a detriment that it's taking away from what we do. If you look at all the QBs that played for CPJ, QBs with 50-100 passing attempts that have played under him rarely have completion % over 50%. JeT has been able to do it 2 of 3 years (so far).

GT doesn't run a sophisticated passing attack so what JeT is doing works for us. If the question is framed within the context of whether JeT is a good passer in this offense, then there's no denying that. Would JeT be a good passer in other offenses? I think he would struggle with full field reads and passing over the middle...but I think he would do OK. I think our offense and all the single coverage (mostly man) certainly helps JeT. JeT doesn't see much exotic coverage schemes if at all. That equation changes in other offenses. But in other offenses, JeT is probably a more dangerous weapon since defenses are not as concerned with the QB like they are in our offense.

jd1985

Georgia Tech Fan
Within the framework of this offense, JeT is a good passer. He can make all the throws required from our passing schemes.

What he struggles with is seeing the entire field, and throwing the ball over the middle. Most of his reads are confined to a 3rd of the field of the field for the most part (has marks out). That's OK in this offense because of the design, but there are receivers available he just doesn't see sometimes. Obviously, height is an issue for JeT when he's 5'9-5'10, but it's not a detriment that it's taking away from what we do. If you look at all the QBs that played for CPJ, QBs with 50-100 passing attempts that have played under him rarely have completion % over 50%. JeT has been able to do it 2 of 3 years (so far).

GT doesn't run a sophisticated passing attack so what JeT is doing works for us. If the question is framed within the context of whether JeT is a good passer in this offense, then there's no denying that. Would JeT be a good passer in other offenses? I think he would struggle with full field reads and passing over the middle...but I think he would do OK. I think our offense and all the single coverage (mostly man) certainly helps JeT. JeT doesn't see much exotic coverage schemes if at all. That equation changes in other offenses. But in other offenses, JeT is probably a more dangerous weapon since defenses are not as concerned with the QB like they are in back in highschool I believe JT what's in a spread offense shotgun if you look back highlights JT passed over the middle left side right side reading stats some of his ratings were 70% completions many of his games.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
55ee9d174b55fb01c96e73df18b6c58f.jpg

JT is the best QB for the option. He passes very well when under pressure and moves the ball well. More importantly, he is highly respected among his peers.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am not really aware of anyone (outside Mutt fans) who say he is a bad passer....

having said that, I will criticize Juston for not going through his progressions on passing plays. There have been times (I noticed one Saturday) where Justin seems to "feel" pressure based on the clock, not real pressure, and throw to his primary option whether he is open or not, as opposed to reading the field and finding an open secondary receiver. I have wondered at times if this was his height causing issues, or if he has been schooled to pass within a certain number of seconds no matter what, or if it is a learned reflex based on 3 years of horrible pass protection.....but this is a valid criticism of Justin.

That being true he is an excellent passer still, imho.....(it's just he could be better, but then, so could I...)
I am sure it is the difference in the offenses, but Clemson's spread wants the ball out of the QB's hands within a count of two. Those are short passes, to be sure, and obviously Watson has more time going deep. But they want no sacks, and generally limit the route tree to two options .. and then pull it down and go.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am sure it is the difference in the offenses, but Clemson's spread wants the ball out of the QB's hands within a count of two. Those are short passes, to be sure, and obviously Watson has more time going deep. But they want no sacks, and generally limit the route tree to two options .. and then pull it down and go.
There's also the small problem that Watson can't throw long balls efficiently. He's consistently long or short. I think the short tree you refer to - and it's there - is as much because his coaches don't want to risk interceptions on long balls that are poorly thrown.

Unfortunately, he has plenty of time left to cure this problem and the talent to do so. Rats.

Oh, and Justin can really throw, if he gets the time. Shoot, he does ok if he doesn't.

jd1985

Georgia Tech Fan

GT doesn't run a sophisticated passing attack so what JeT is doing works for us. If the question is framed within the context of whether JeT is a good passer in this offense, then there's no denying that. Would JeT be a good passer in other offenses? I think he would struggle with full field reads and passing over the middle...but I think he would do OK. I think our offense and all the single coverage (mostly man) certainly helps JeT. JeT doesn't see much exotic coverage schemes if at all. That equation changes in other offenses. But in other offenses, JeT is probably a more dangerous weapon since defenses are not as concerned with the QB like they are in our offense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's also the small problem that Watson can't throw long balls efficiently. He's consistently long or short. I think the short tree you refer to - and it's there - is as much because his coaches don't want to risk interceptions on long balls that are poorly thrown.

Unfortunately, he has plenty of time left to cure this problem and the talent to do so. Rats.

Oh, and Justin can really throw, if he gets the time. Shoot, he does ok if he doesn't.
Well, it could be, but this is Chad Morris's offense. He ran it in Texas HS and in his first college stop (escapes me) and then brought it to Clemson, with different QBs all the while. I know he did say before he left Clemson that Watson was the best recruit he had -- practically lived with the guy -- but he was going to mold Watson to the offense, as the two -- count'em, two -- OCs who followed him did. Didn't hurt that they went out and recruited WRs all over the joint, either. I think you probably are right on his down-the-field throws but again, I am not enough of a football technocrat to really judge. But Saturday might have been the game they were looking for from him: sling the ball out there and have some fun and stop threading moving needles, that will come. Right now loosen up.