Bye Week Radio Show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are few thing, RamblinVak. AE, I've often wished Ted would join PJ on Monday nights or be a Lunch Bunch speaker. He apparently doesn't want that role.

Joe never got the mike, and Andy didn't say why. Roddy had the longest segment. Lot of chat about the rest of the ACC. I little about the 2008 Georgia game. I did not like what he had to say about Duke. Said their defense is underrated and extremely well coached. Play a lot of safeties and they are fast. [That is just the kinda defense which has been difficult for us. My hope is we can get five up the middle with the B back repeatedly and maybe slow em down.] Their new quarterback has a great arm and they are no longer a "dink and dunk it down the field" kind of offense. On the other hand, he threw five interceptions in a recent game.

Roddy's discussion of VT was even more terrifying. Imagine VT with an offense. I have often mused on just how difficult they would be to beat if they ever found an offense. Apparently they have. Roddy was as dumbfounded as everyone as to how they lost to Syracuse.

Roddy was not so impressed with UNC. I cant' remember exactly why right now. Maybe they are inconsistent and its hard to get a read on them. He said a receiver named Mack Colvin (I think) is injured and that is a huge blow. He is the second best in the league and their primary deep threat.

Sean said he would name Antonio Simmons as the most improved or most surprising Jacket. He gushed about his pass rushing moves. Said his outside move is good but what really makes him special is he can feint outside, plant, and go inside, which is a quicker route to the quarterback. Sean wants him in on any play remotely looking like a passing down. Some talk of why the sum of Clinton Lynch is better than the parts. Some kudos to the wide receivers, and Jeune especially starting to "make space" for himself to get open as did Smelter in 2014.

Both guys use the language so well in speaking roles it always leaves me shaking my head that these are ex scholarship athletes. I think a stranger hearing them would assume they are pro broadcasters.

Anyone else remember anything of note?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some talk of why the sum of Clinton Lynch is better than the parts.

That's probably the best description of CL that I've read/heard. Dude is not a burner, isn't the quickest, is not tall, has average agility, isn't a powerful runner...yet there he is, one of our best weapons on offense not named JeT. One of our best receivers, one of our best rushers (seriously, dude is AVERAGING 13+ yards a carry). He just keeps making plays.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
That's probably the best description of CL that I've read/heard. Dude is not a burner, isn't the quickest, is not tall, has average agility, isn't a powerful runner...yet there he is, one of our best weapons on offense not named JeT. One of our best receivers, one of our best rushers (seriously, dude is AVERAGING 13+ yards a carry). He just keeps making plays.

Lynch is a Football player... There are many that are bigger, stronger, or faster, but none have his work ethic drive, or knowledge of the game...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clinton Lynch is this year's Jamal Golden of our offensive skill players. In other words, the best part of CL is the stuff between his ears. That counts in every sport. He catches a ball 7 yards clear of the defenders and crosses the goal line 1 yard ahead, so it doesn't look impressive, but he gets there, and he keeps putting himself in position to get there. Give the kid credit. He keeps finding grass. He understands our system and how to make it work from the AB position.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
A 4.45 is pretty fast to me- great when you have soft hands. I like his football speed- can't compare that to track speed between the goal post.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

IMO he sees and processes the game really quickly and it speeds his reactions. Very anticipatory. Fits his calm demeanor. This year he is stronger physically than last year so he's harder to get down.

Also very soft hands, judges the ball well in the air/adjusts, and has good body control. Very natural receiver. Made play after play last year too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO he sees and processes the game really quickly and it speeds his reactions. Very anticipatory. Fits his calm demeanor. This year he is stronger physically than last year so he's harder to get down.

Also very soft hands, judges the ball well in the air/adjusts, and has good body control. Very natural receiver. Made play after play last year too.

Agree. Probably helps that he was a WR in HS. For years I've advocated for CPJ to recruit more slot type WRs for the AB position as opposed to the "pony backs" we were bringing in. I think we're starting to see a change in the type of ABs being recruited. More slash/slot types than the smaller backs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Probably helps that he was a WR in HS. For years I've advocated for CPJ to recruit more slot type WRs for the AB position as opposed to the "pony backs" we were bringing in. I think we're starting to see a change in the type of ABs being recruited. More slash/slot types than the smaller backs.

Agreed, and I love it. A fun scenario to imagine for the next few years is for LJ to win the QB battle, move TM back to AB, and be able to field a tandem of TM and QS at AB. Then come out slinging from time to time and open up that second level for DM to pound away! Exciting possibilities once we settle on a QB.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

This is what I don't understand about those who say we shouldn't be depending on a-backs to catch passes on 3rd down. We have a pretty good history of a-backs with good hands. They line up in the slot position or close to it. And in this case we have a guy who played WR in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk