Butt Hurt - MSU style

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Unlike a lot of bandwagon reprobates with access to a keyboard, true followers of MSU football weren't surprised by GT last night. When ran almost flawlessly, GT's offense has the ability to dominate any FBS team on any given night. However, what impressed(and somewhat shocked) me the most was GT's red zone and short yardage defense. Coupled with PJ's ability to counter the defensive adjustments made by Mullen's staff, my bulldogs were simply outplayed. My hat's off to your program. Don't let a handful of idiots lead you to believe that ALL of us thought this game would be a cake walk. From a REAL bulldog and college football fan, great game GT and congratulations on an exceptional season. Go to hell Ole Miss!
Thanks @MSUbulldog. We have the same issue with some GT fans too. :)

MSUbulldog

Georgia Tech Fan
You're definitely welcome. I got a few good laughs from this thread, too. Even though a loss always hurts, it's slightly easier to stomach when that loss comes to a program that does things "by the book." I have a lot of respect for the small wallets in college athletics that are able to prove to the country that a program can reach that elite tier through hard work ethic and integrity, and that cutting corners and checks isn't the only way to get ahead. Again, congratulations. Go to hell Ole Miss!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Unlike a lot of bandwagon reprobates with access to a keyboard, true followers of MSU football weren't surprised by GT last night. When ran almost flawlessly, GT's offense has the ability to dominate any FBS team on any given night. However, what impressed(and somewhat shocked) me the most was GT's red zone and short yardage defense. Coupled with PJ's ability to counter the defensive adjustments made by Mullen's staff, my bulldogs were simply outplayed. My hat's off to your program. Don't let a handful of idiots lead you to believe that ALL of us thought this game would be a cake walk. From a REAL bulldog and college football fan, great game GT and congratulations on an exceptional season. Go to hell Ole Miss!
Your post is really appreciated.
Watched the trenches - your guys are equal to clemson which means great.
As you probably noticed our ol was stout as well.
All your fans I meet were class as well.
Hope we play you guys again - as I made my own Anti cow bell out of two empty 16 oz beers which I banged together! Just to have fun with guy with oversized ( loud) bell near us. Good sport.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@MSUbulldog congrats on a very good season. Your team and offense are fun to watch. Dak is a stud and has no quit in him. Hope you guys take the sec west next year....heck, I hope you win the conference.

Flying back to Atlanta today, an equally classy MSU fan sat next to me. His take on Tech was his astonishment at the speed at which we execute. He wasn't talking about running speed but the speed at which Justin makes decisions and either hands off or pitches. He was stunned at just how rapidly things happen in our backfield immediately after the snap. That is definitely a credit to Justin and the backs working that mesh.

Animal02

Banned
@MSUbulldog congrats on a very good season. Your team and offense are fun to watch. Dak is a stud and has no quit in him. Hope you guys take the sec west next year....heck, I hope you win the conference.

Hard to believe that some MSU "fans" think their HC should get shown the door. (but then we have "fans" that think the same about CPJ :rolleyes:)
The vast majority of FBS teams would love to have had a season like MSU.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Awesome post, MSU. My son-in-law and daughter are both MSU, and I have always found the great majority of your fans to be very hospitable and classy, unlike the other dawgs. I also work with an MSU engineer, and he is a great guy, too. Please excuse some of our "idiots" also. You guys have great momentum in your program, and I do believe CDM will continue to do a great job with your football program.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Hardcore GT praise and some cool commentary on this page:

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.c...inal-score-recap-2014-capital-one-orange-bowl

What's striking are how the few anti-option zealots stand out as completely insane and delusional, like one guy who writes "the Tech offense is nothing." Eye-popping that any fans would still be saying that about an offense ranked #1 in the past decade by some pretty in-depth metrics.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just sent a post to a friend of mine about the game. He's a big fan of the Good Dogs and knows that I pull for them right after I pull for Tech. He was surprised at our success running the ball. Here's what I told him:

"I thought we'd have good success running. MSU doesn't have anyone left on D with experience going against the TO like Tech runs it. That usually leads to difficulties. Turning the ball over didn't help them either."

Before the game I said that I thought one of two things would happen. Either a) the MSU D would revert to season form and fly to the ball like FSU did in the first half with pretty much the same results or b) they would be so concerned about being cut that they would lay back like the Dwags did. Luckily, it was b and the same thing happened: we drove them 3 - 5 yards off the LOS regularly. Now that they've seen what happens with that, they'll be a lot harder to block next time. It's one thing to get what you should be doing on D against us conceptually; you have to play assignment football, just like the cliche has it. It's quite another to face the thing run at ramming speed. Only game experience will help you with that.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Also the confusion over "why couldn't they stop the dive when they know it's coming" is representative of the general misunderstanding of how an offense works. Yes, great teams are often "predictable" but unstoppable anyway, but that is because they have dictated what the opposing 'D is able to safely do.

If you watch the 2nd half MSU had inside LBs running outside as soon as the ball was snapped, desperate to stop Rocket Sweep and the other outside plays CPJ and Thomas established in the 1st half. If it was ILLEGAL for Tech to throw or run outside, yes you could just blitz 11 guys between the tackles and stop the "predictable" dive. But the Bulldogs were maxed out just trying to contain the other stuff. The option pitch and play-action pass were ripping off 15-50 yards a play so they had no choice but to deal with the inside handoff getting 5-10.

If this, then that.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
@MSUbulldog, I'm not gonna say that I thought you guys were going to be as good as you were, but I was onboard MSU being a consistent top 25 team since the beginning of the season. At Marshall Space Flight Center, there is a great number of Mississippi State grads and of course GT grads (no UGAg grads that I know of...not surprising ;):)). In fact, my branch chief is an MSU grad. All that to say, that I know many classy MSU fans and friends and so it sucked that I couldn't root for them anymore. I was overjoyed at how Tech played, not just because of the highlights we put up, but that we did it against a VERY quality team in Mississippi State. I'll be cheering for you guys to tear up the SEC West next year and (hopefully) cheering for you in next year's Sugar Bowl. Congrats on your year and hopefully this is the beginning of things to come for both programs!

By the way, I really liked your 100 year anniversary white uniforms and hats. Those were crisp.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, as I think has been said before but perhaps not fully appreciated, the 2nd half "dive" was a belly play. It's not that we just changed up the blocking on our dive, it's a different play with a different B-Back running path as well as different blocking (there is a belly option complement, iiuc, in which the B-Back is a blocker--mesh is faked--and the QB either runs the same gap that the B-Back exploits in the straight belly play or pitches out). MissSt simply didn't adjust to this play, and so it kept being there. It may be that this was an artifact of a new Def signal caller.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, as I think has been said before but perhaps not fully appreciated, the 2nd half "dive" was a belly play. It's not that we just changed up the blocking on our dive, it's a different play with a different B-Back running path as well as different blocking (there is a belly option complement, iiuc, in which the B-Back is a blocker--mesh is faked--and the QB either runs the same gap that the B-Back exploits in the straight belly play or pitches out). MissSt simply didn't adjust to this play, and so it kept being there. It may be that this was an artifact of a new Def signal caller.

You definitely have me on the lingo. Like a lot of folks I use the term "dive play" informally to refer to any run where the back immediately behind the QB takes a quick handoff between the tackles.

My only point is that its not that MSU's coaches were so stupid that they didn't see the adjustment or that they were being hurt by one play ran repetitiously, but that Tech was constantly threatening to run other stuff out of the same look. The outside run and the deep ball would have killed them if they didn't defend those, so it was just about picking a poison.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Guy on the radio just said Mississippi State didn't want to play in the Orange bowl and that is why they lost. SEC homer lying to himself