Butker to the Super Bowl

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You know it is possible, and I am not making any claim here, but it is possible that Calvin Johnson had so much native talent that he is one of those former greats who got it all done on ability and can't teach a lick. We always assume the greats are natural teachers, but very few are. It is so easy for them they can't identify with those for whom it is all labor.

Not sure how Youtube videos translates to teaching.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Congrats Harrison!! Next up is Disneyland. Then get your Buttkicker over hear to teach some young'uns to kick a football properly.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember one fade route in particular. As does Clemson. Thanks.

There was a good story on Fox 5 this past weekend about Butker going back to Westminster during the offseason and working out with the young kickers there. One of the coaches even mentioned that Butker OK'd giving out his phone number to kickers that may have questions. I think this says a lot about this young man and how grounded he is.

Interesting to hear that he is the 2nd former GT player to score in a Super Bowl. Even happier that he was on the winning team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not to diminish HB's accomplishments.

but no doubt everyone remembers the former GT player that was the MVP in the original NFL championship game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...on-just-come-long-way/SYWi4Q28MKgO8N6nvvWdzH/

Love it!

"By reaching his 100th career field-goal try this season, he qualified for the NFL’s career accuracy record. At 96-for-107 (89.7%), Butker is second all-time in field-goal percentage, behind only Baltimore’s Justin Tucker (90.8%)."
Kudos to Ken. Very cool article and insights. I was wondering whether Butker was intentionally kicking short during the game, and sure enough, that was the gameplan:
Butker said that, before the game, special-teams coordinator Dave Toub told the kickoff coverage unit to play for a touchback on the first kickoff of the game and then challenge the 49ers to return the ball after that.

“We felt pretty good about our kickoff coverage team,” Butker said. “We didn’t want to just hit a touchback and they get the ball on their 25-yard line.”

Butker saved his best for the kickoff after the score to go up 24-20, with the 49ers now needing to score. Butker’s kick lifted high into the air and came down at the goal line. A hang time of 4.0 seconds is good; Butker said he was told that he had the kick in the air 4.56 seconds.