Bud foster to Texas A&M

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nea
Has been loyal to Beamer - who gave first job. In past he did get a cash loyalty bonus to stay at VT. Been in small town enviroment whole life. Very loyal fans.

Yea
TAM - used to have great defense (wrecking crew) which really fits the student body (60000) and rabid alumni personality . Average attendance - 100000 plus. - have access to pass happy Texas high school recruits that will let his defense be aggressive- program has done poorly on defense so he will have a challenge to prove his defense against some very good programs in sec west - can watch replays on 160' by 50' 3800/1080i resolution stadium display- get big contract.

At 55 years does he leave the hollers of West Virginia and go to a top program that is building.

Tossup!
Depends on family situation

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Nea
Has been loyal to Beamer - who gave first job. In past he did get a cash loyalty bonus to stay at VT. Been in small town enviroment whole life. Very loyal fans.

Yea
TAM - used to have great defense (wrecking crew) which really fits the student body (60000) and rabid alumni personality . Average attendance - 100000 plus. - have access to pass happy Texas high school recruits that will let his defense be aggressive- program has done poorly on defense so he will have a challenge to prove his defense against some very good programs in sec west - can watch replays on 160' by 50' 3800/1080i resolution stadium display- get big contract.

At 55 years does he leave the hollers of West Virginia and go to a top program that is building.

Tossup!

You left out under Yea:
Doesn't have to face JT and the Tech offense for the next 2 years!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
As much as we all think of Blacksburg as a backwater dump (which if we are being honest, it absolutely is), I think Bud is actually happy and comfortable living there. Plus he's worshipped by their fans, and he owns a steakhouse in town. He may just be a lifer, and coach in waiting without the tag and recruiting restrictions that come along with it.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...7923.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

BLACKSBURG — As is the case every offseason, Hokies defensive coordinator Bud Foster’s name has been rumored for plenty of jobs.

Publicly, at least, he said he hasn’t been contacted by anyone.

“Nope, not right now,” Foster said on a Wednesday teleconference.

Foster’s name has been mentioned for several positions, including Texas A&M’s vacant defensive coordinator job, although no credible report has officially linked the two.

Foster’s focus has been on recruiting and Virginia Tech’s preparation for the Military Bowl against Cincinnati.

“I haven’t even talked to my [agent] here recently,” Foster said. “I think if anything happens, they’ll come directly to me and then I’ll go to him.”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing he stays.

The main reason is that he won't have any higher ceiling at TAM then at VT and he's been there roughly forever. I know a lot of the posts above seem to think VT is on the way down, but I don't see it myself. They had O problems this year because their top three RBs were injured and out for the season by week 4 (I think). No run = trouble for Beamer's outfit. But I doubt that lasts; I'm penciling them in with Pitt as the programs that will make our run to win the Coastal next year most difficult. As long as he thinks they'll return to success soon, I doubt Foster will uproot his life and move to College Station (!).

Now, hold the Turkies up for a boatload of money to stay … well, that's another story.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
According to the article, he makes less than Roof at 500+ thousand. I would guess he could double his salary at A&M. If he is going to move, now is the time. At 55, time is running out to make the big bucks.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as we all think of Blacksburg as a backwater dump (which if we are being honest, it absolutely is), I think Bud is actually happy and comfortable living there. Plus he's worshipped by their fans, and he owns a steakhouse in town. He may just be a lifer, and coach in waiting without the tag and recruiting restrictions that come along with it.
Have been to steakhouse. Good steak, would go again.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm guessing he stays.

The main reason is that he won't have any higher ceiling at TAM then at VT and he's been there roughly forever. I know a lot of the posts above seem to think VT is on the way down, but I don't see it myself. They had O problems this year because their top three RBs were injured and out for the season by week 4 (I think). No run = trouble for Beamer's outfit. But I doubt that lasts; I'm penciling them in with Pitt as the programs that will make our run to win the Coastal next year most difficult. As long as he thinks they'll return to success soon, I doubt Foster will uproot his life and move to College Station (!).

Now, hold the Turkies up for a boatload of money to stay … well, that's another story.
It wasn't the RBs that caused the running game to tank. Their G-C-G combo was the weakest unit we faced. They were a bunch of pillow fighters.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@FootballScoop: 5 yrs. MT @AndyBitterVT: Source says Bud Foster has agreed to new five-year contract with VT that will pay him north of $756,500. #Hokies

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Congrats TAMU, you've been used.

Foster has cemented himself as a DC for life. His career is a cautionary tale for those who chose not to strike while the iron's hot. He will now concentrate all his efforts on beating CPJ while losing 2-3 inexplicable games per year. Hokie, hokie high?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nea

Yea

Tossup!

The end of the rumor thread - from se Texas football coaches blog -
No - is the answer to the thread title.
Bud foster only wants 750k per year and likes living in west va where he has a steak house and if viewed as a defensive genius.

After TAM hires DC we will be able to measure the $ difference but not the intangibles.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
@FootballScoop: 5 yrs. MT @AndyBitterVT: Source says Bud Foster has agreed to new five-year contract with VT that will pay him north of $756,500. #Hokies
I suppose this also confirms that Beamer is not going anywhere anytime soon (unless he wants to retire himself).

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Some poster on TSL was posting vague hints at how close Foster came to heading to TA&M. Said it came down them not agreeing on retaining assistants that are already there.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why you all think he's now "stuck" as a DC, odds are he gets the keys when Beamer retires. If the NCAA didn't effectively kill the coach in waiting trend by considering it equal to a HC as far as recruiting restrictions, he would have that title by now.