Bryan Chamberlain

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to give special kudos to a guy that took MASSIVE heat last year, and has developed into a solid OT. You never heard about him getting killed late in the year, and I think everybody is comfortable with him coming back next year as a starter.

Good for him, man.

Agree. A guy who many on this site considered a team liability ended up being one of the pillars of the team! A lot of us owe him an apology.

He has my apology!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hold on, let's not go overboard. The criticism last year was warranted. They guy made considerable gains and kudos to him. That doesn't mean anybody that criticized him in the past was wrong. Anybody that wrote him off, now those were the guys who were wrong.

I noted that he was new to the game in high school and that he was a basketball convert. Some guys just take longer to develop than others and for a variety of reasons. BC is one of those guys.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Hold on, let's not go overboard. The criticism last year was warranted. They guy made considerable gains and kudos to him. That doesn't mean anybody that criticized him in the past was wrong. Anybody that wrote him off, now those were the guys who were wrong.

I noted that he was new to the game in high school and that he was a basketball convert. Some guys just take longer to develop than others and for a variety of reasons. BC is one of those guys.

Agreed. Frankly, his story is even more inspirational than "people misjudged him". His story is that people judged him, and then he worked his tail off to improve. It didn't happen suddenly, either. He just grinded and grinded and got better and better until after a while, you suddenly realize "you know, he's actually pretty good". That's a testament to believing in yourself, and keeping your nose to the grindstone.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He's gotten better. Hopefully, his arc will continue upward. Even without Shaq, next year's OL has a chance to be frightfully good.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am very proud of the progress he made from last year to this. We should never quit on a guy who is working. I was very critical of his play last year and I stand by that criticism. However, I also now readily acknowledge the gains he has made. In my eyes, he is still a ways from being a dominant player, but he is no longer a liability. That in itself has been a huge help.

This season, he has made fewer glaring errors, but he has also engaged the opposition a little more aggressively and moved his feet better. He seemed to get caught flat footed frequently last year, not so much this season. If he can make similar gains this offseason, we may really have something next fall.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

I don't think it's going overboard. Did the guy even get a single penalty called on him all year? He made Vic Beasley a complete non-factor in the Clemson game. The kid doesn't blow anyone off the line with strength but he does his job very well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, it takes awhile to become a decent OL. I thin Chamberlain's big problem was always confidence. I'm guessing he had a lot of false starts last year because he didn't think he could make his blocks. Then, all of a sudden, he caught up with the game and found out he could do it. I think he deserves our applause for his work this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Game is slowing down for him. Last year - He was rt and with roll right for pass and a majority of runs, he was overwhelmed.
Got to speak with him at ACC champ battle of the bands by black Finn - Kidd is tall and looks athletic - could add some more bulk if needed. Like all our men - you get lots of yes sir no sir and just excited to be playing and when said really proud of how he has stepped up = thank you sir.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, it takes awhile to become a decent OL. I thin Chamberlain's big problem was always confidence. I'm guessing he had a lot of false starts last year because he didn't think he could make his blocks. Then, all of a sudden, he caught up with the game and found out he could do it. I think he deserves our applause for his work this year.
Seemed like WRs caused more of the false starts this year than lineman.

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of deserved credit is going to a player who has improved a lot.

Some of that credit should be shared with the position coach who has coached up a lot of these guys.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, hats off to Chamberlain, he's been awesome.

Also keep in mind Coach Johnson's comments about "changing things up on the OL" related to coaching. Not sure what they did but it looks like it helped because the whole line as a unit was awesome.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly, Bryan is a late-comer to football, so-to-speak, not beginning playing until just around he was starting High School. This means he really wasn't much further along his way than Francis Kallon when he came on campus if you think about it, and if that's the case, I think he's done great in a tough position (both physically and learning-wise) to play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing he still needs to work on is getting off the ball quicker when he's not engaging linemen/going straight to the second level. He still misses blocks on laterally moving LB's just because he's not getting there quickly enough. Maybe he needs to take better angles, I dunno. He's a lot better at it this year, but needs to keep improving. Hope he's doing plyometrics in the offseason to work on explosion and quickness.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
He is not perfect(who is) but he is SO much improved it is startling.I congratulate the young man for his effort.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's gotten better. Hopefully, his arc will continue upward. Even without Shaq, next year's OL has a chance to be frightfully good.

There may be one or two people that started on the OL this year that may not start next year. This OL will be NASTY for the next 3+ years with the guys we have and the guys behind them. The QBs for the next 3+ years will enjoy playing behind our OL.