Bryan Chamberlain: Georgia Tech's line can be even better

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think a leadership void is going to be present for a few weeks. I know we all love the new guys, but it's going to take some time to gel. I wouldn't even rule out position changes like we've seen in the past. If Marshall is capable at C, I'd love to see Freddie over at RG. I think he's our best OL overall, and he's so quick off the ball he could really pave the way there.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The best teams are the ones that when their coach is an absolute "a-hole" that rides them and rides them, they come together like family, and they are the ones that give each other the positive feedback they need to counter the constant negative feedback coming from the "rough nosed dude". As they mature, they understand how much the "rough nosed dude" of a coach actually made them all better than they would have been otherwise.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain has really progressed and improved in his career which I think is very admirable. I recall the coaches being super high on him and him struggling some the year before last. A lot of fans seemed to give up on him.

He calmly kept working hard, believing in himself and his OL brothers, and now he's a huge part of our success.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain is the perfect example for why you never, EVER, quit on an athlete that is working. You just never know.
I think Paul Johnson said about either Chamberlain or Errin Joe (paraphrasing) "that's why you don't give up on big guys early". It's awesome seeing these guys who were total scapegoats/non-factors earlier turn it around and succeed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CPJ rough nosed... Never thought we'd hear that ;) ha!!!
Team and position chemistry sure helps. Hope it continues for years to come.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ rough nosed... Never thought we'd hear that ;) ha!!!
Team and position chemistry sure helps. Hope it continues for years to come.

29736046c79ecbd8b31711fc9cd7a7f8.jpg

134126085_crop_north.jpg

paul-johnson-raww.jpg

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain has really progressed and improved in his career which I think is very admirable. I recall the coaches being super high on him and him struggling some the year before last. A lot of fans seemed to give up on him.

He calmly kept working hard, believing in himself and his OL brothers, and now he's a huge part of our success.
I've got to admit, I thought he would not be an asset.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
He was pretty raw when he came in, a lot of guys don't know that.

Forgot about that. He was pretty new to football IIRC. In any event our OL has a steep learning curve.

That is why what Shaq Mason did was pretty incredible. Just came in, was able to take the coaching and turn around and just do it. This is also what you hear out of the Patriot's camp....he is just able to quickly do what you ask him to do, and do it pretty well. Remarkable athlete. Bedford and Burden also were very quick to pick up what we do.

Interestingly we haven't had a lot of OT's who have come in and been great right away. I think it's a really challenging position in our offense. Griffin has picked it up about as fast as any. Joe and Chamberlain are both awesome but they had to really work at it for awhile.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

LOL. My DC in college would grab you by the facemask, pull you close to his face, and yell at you with a huge chew of Redman in his cheek. You'd be breathing hard and little flecks of spit/chew and foul Redman smell would hit you in the face. A lot of guys got dry heaves from it but we laughed our arses off at it--both at the time and now.

Also to a man we loved that guy. He was so passionate, intense, and detail-oriented on the field and so laid back and cool off the field. Before games he would pace around like a caged tiger with his eyes about to pop out. He probably weighed a good 220-230 and was stronger than many guys on the team with respect to weights. When I was a freshman I downed a punt on the 1-yd line and came running off the field not really ready for it and he lit me up. That was the LAST time I was unprepared if I happened to so something good.

Funny thing was, it seemed everything good you did was a result of his schemes, alignments, adjustments, study of tendencies, etc. The guy was just ultra, ultra, prepared and really took stopping everyone he faced personally. Just an awesome experience playing for him.

Anyway if you see PJ grabbing guys or yelling at them and you don't think it's appropriate you are nuts. You WANT a coach to be doing that. It's a reflection of how much he cares, how much it means to him, and how hard he is working. He wants you to raise your level of intensity to match his. And so you do, and then the results on the field are terrific and fun.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
LOL. My DC in college would grab you by the facemask, pull you close to his face, and yell at you with a huge chew of Redman in his cheek. You'd be breathing hard and little flecks of spit/chew and foul Redman smell would hit you in the face. A lot of guys got dry heaves from it but we laughed our arses off at it--both at the time and now.

Also to a man we loved that guy. He was so passionate, intense, and detail-oriented on the field and so laid back and cool off the field. Before games he would pace around like a caged tiger with his eyes about to pop out. He probably weighed a good 220-230 and was stronger than many guys on the team with respect to weights. When I was a freshman I downed a punt on the 1-yd line and came running off the field not really ready for it and he lit me up. That was the LAST time I was unprepared if I happened to so something good.

Funny thing was, it seemed everything good you did was a result of his schemes, alignments, adjustments, study of tendencies, etc. The guy was just ultra, ultra, prepared and really took stopping everyone he faced personally. Just an awesome experience playing for him.

Anyway if you see PJ grabbing guys or yelling at them and you don't think it's appropriate you are nuts. You WANT a coach to be doing that. It's a reflection of how much he cares, how much it means to him, and how hard he is working. He wants you to raise your level of intensity to match his. And so you do, and then the results on the field are terrific and fun.
Awesome post!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In highschool _ During a spirited practice ,My sons ol coach grabbed his face mask and yelled about his mistake. Coach then head butted sons helmet so hard the coach bloodied his own forehead. Coach just let it bleed during rest of practice . The loved that coach and ran thru walls for him for a great undefeated season.