Brutal schedule / expectations

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thought I’d bump this thread with NSD over and a full look at the class. Gibbs and Cochran are huge additions. Also added some special teams competition. This team will have talent next, and a lot of it. But, most of the talent will still be very young. There will still be a ton a FR and SO playing significant snaps, but there will much more upperclassmen help than last year. Whoever plays QB will have less than 10 games of college experience, or be a true freshman. There will still be mistakes made, but I would expect at least average production from the QB position.
OL play should improve significantly, and will probably be the easiest thing to notice when comparing film from last year to next year.
The backfield will be loaded, and with question marks at TE, I’d love to see 2-0 sets with the 3 headed monster.
WR will have plenty of talent as well. I’d expect Ezzard, Brown, and Camp to do most of the heavy lifting in the passing game, but Carter, Dolphus, and Sanders provide solid depth. The question will be how well the QB can get balls out to the guys out wide.
Overall I think the offense will be vastly improved from last year; mostly because the OL will at least be competent. Hopefully only 6-7 guys are used all year. Cutting down 3 & outs will help everyone out, and scoring will definitely go up.

Defensively, the DL still won’t be great. Adding Clayton will be huge for the pass rush, but without a show stopper up the middle DL pressure will still probably be at a premium.
LB will be interesting. Curry is definitely the leader on that side of the ball, but he’s not one of the most talented ‘backers in the league. Gonna need a lot of help from the secondary again this year, but the talent is there that it shouldn’t be a huge issue. Keeping the offense on the field longer will also pay dividends on the defensive side of the ball.

Special teams... woof. Have to find a kicker this year. 3-8 field goals is unacceptable. Need to get to a point where we’re kicking at least 70% from inside 45. Need to at least have a prayer of making some that are longer than 45. Definitely need some touchbacks on kickoffs, and both punt coverage and returns need a lot of work. I expect Harvin will continue to be a top tier punter (or at least above average), although I feel he was a little inconsistent at times last year. That may have been from the shear number of punts he had though.

I think 6 wins is reachable next year. It’s an incredibly tough schedule, so anything more than 6 is gravy, and means we probably beat somebody we weren’t supposed to. 4 to 5 is where I’m keeping my expectations though. As long as all but 3 (you guys know the 3) games are competitive through the 4th I’ll be satisfied. Less than 4 wins and I’d feel we underachieved. Remember, this isn’t about being a Collins “apologist” or accepting mediocrity. It’s about understanding that it takes time to build a program. Yes, there will be a lot of very talented transfers on the field, as well as a lot of talented players that signed to Tech originally. That doesn’t automatically correlate to wins though. A lot of youth will take up a lot of minutes. Year 3 is still going to be my measuring stick. A lot of successful coaching turnarounds become obvious in year 3, after going through growing pains in years 1 & 2. This year will mostly be about proving Tech can be successful, and setting up for a Top 20 2021 recruiting class :sneaky:

Good analysis. But a lot of things have to go right this yr (unlike last yr) for us to get more than 4 wins. probably.Literally only GW is the only sure win--at this point .All the rest are NO better than 50/50 if you are realistic. (btw--dook just picked up the Clemson? QB)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Good analysis. But a lot of things have to go right this yr (unlike last yr) for us to get more than 4 wins. probably.Literally only GW is the only sure win--at this point .All the rest are NO better than 50/50 if you are realistic. (btw--dook just picked up the Clemson? QB)
So getting guys back from injury, adding high quality transfers, adding a top 25 recruiting class with one of the best RBs in the country, and getting another year of experience for our current guys is only worth 1 extra win that will be over an FCS team?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
So getting guys back from injury, adding high quality transfers, adding a top 25 recruiting class with one of the best RBs in the country, and getting another year of experience for our current guys is only worth 1 extra win that will be over an FCS team?
The OOC schedule is tougher. We will be better but it probably won’t show up in W-L until 2021.

If I had to guess, we get +2 from GW and a random conference win.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
With that schedule, 6-6 would exceed my expectations. We really need to see improvement on offense; last year was a real stomach-turner in that regard. We could see the guys rise up and pull off a major upset, but also take a couple of terrific beatings like last year.

Still think year 3 is the acid test for CGC's program.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Incorrect. Ross brought in success not seen since Dodd. PJ brought in success not seen since GOL.

The 1 great year that Ross produced, doesn't make up for the multiple great years (along with many so so years) that Dodd brought.

I missed the years that GOL took us to the Orange Bowl (2x) or even won an outright ACC Championship.

Point is that it is horribly difficult to compare eras. Bill Russell or Shaq? Marino or P Manning? Maddox or Kershaw? Each era must be graded on its own merit and those in that era that are great, will forever be great. I'm a Jordan fan. Kobe and LeBron will never compare to him in my eyes. But all are great players. Ross, GOL, PJ, Dodd and Alexander are all great coaches.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The OOC schedule is tougher. We will be better but it probably won’t show up in W-L until 2021.

If I had to guess, we get +2 from GW and a random conference win.
We went 1-3 OOC last year and we will likely go 1-3 OOC this year. It's a bit of a wash. We keep hearing about how awful the ACC is and the Coastal in particular so it seems odd that we could have such a positive offseason in adding talent through transfers, recruits, and getting healthy yet that will yield very little results against mediocre competition. Some of the great transfers we have are only here for one year. If we can't win with them then we should have just recruited for the future.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We went 1-3 OOC last year and we will likely go 1-3 OOC this year. It's a bit of a wash. We keep hearing about how awful the ACC is and the Coastal in particular so it seems odd that we could have such a positive offseason in adding talent through transfers, recruits, and getting healthy yet that will yield very little results against mediocre competition. Some of the great transfers we have are only here for one year. If we can't win with them then we should have just recruited for the future.
The Coastal may not be great, but neither are we (yet). A lot of our games are going to be evenly matched between us and our opponents. Do I think there’s a team in the Coastal we can’t beat? No. Does that mean we will win all of the division games? Also no. The transfers are good in that they provide competition and experience to the roster. We’re still a pretty young team. If we’re showing good improvement in the eye test, that’s good enough for me.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am predicting 6-6. Double the wins from last year, with a tougher schedule.
Wins : GW, UCF, VT, UVA, Dook, UM. I realize UCF and UVA would be considered upsets. But I think we will surprise UCF, and upset UVA in a close one. IMO, with the improvements we have made in personnel ( transfers + redshirts + impact freshmen ) we will definitely be MUCH improved.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal may not be great, but neither are we (yet). A lot of our games are going to be evenly matched between us and our opponents. Do I think there’s a team in the Coastal we can’t beat? No. Does that mean we will win all of the division games? Also no. The transfers are good in that they provide competition and experience to the roster. We’re still a pretty young team. If we’re showing good improvement in the eye test, that’s good enough for me.
If Baylor, and Minnesota can make major turnarounds in one year, I think we can too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wins : GW, UCF, VT, UVA, Dook, UM. I realize UCF and UVA would be considered upsets. But I think we will surprise UCF, and upset UVA in a close one. IMO, with the improvements we have made in personnel ( transfers + redshirts + impact freshmen ) we will definitely be MUCH improved.

Don't know about specific games, but I think we get to six wins. We are going to see a spectacular improvement on offense.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If Baylor, and Minnesota can make major turnarounds in one year, I think we can too.
But that’s the thing, Baylor and Minnesota didn’t make major turnarounds in one year. Both schools were in year 3 of a coaching change. Both had bad first years, average second years, great third years. That lines up pretty well with every other program turnaround after a coaching change. Year 3 is where on field results will show up. Years 1 and 2 are about changing the culture of a program.

Scubapro

Banned
Don't know about specific games, but I think we get to six wins. We are going to see a spectacular improvement on offense.
We can’t do much worse on offense. Even marginal improvement will look like great improvement in the stat sheet
I don’t think it will be nearly enough to generate wins
We will need the defense and special teams to score

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
But that’s the thing, Baylor and Minnesota didn’t make major turnarounds in one year. Both schools were in year 3 of a coaching change. Both had bad first years, average second years, great third years. That lines up pretty well with every other program turnaround after a coaching change. Year 3 is where on field results will show up. Years 1 and 2 are about changing the culture of a program.
Baylor and Minnesota both won 7 games and made bowl games in their average second years. I think pretty much all of us would be happy with that.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't mean to nitpick here, but :
Baylor .......... Minnesota
2017 - 1-11 ........ 5-7
2018 -7-6 ......... 7-6
2019- 11-3 ......... 11-2
From losing records to winning records and bowl games in their 2nd year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't mean to nitpick here, but :
Baylor .......... Minnesota
2017 - 1-11 ........ 5-7
2018 -7-6 ......... 7-6
2019- 11-3 ......... 11-2
From losing records to winning records and bowl games in their 2nd year.
Baylor and Minnesota both won 7 games and made bowl games in their average second years. I think pretty much all of us would be happy with that.
You’re right. I think everyone would be happy with a winning season. I’ve said I think going 6-6 would be great. Coincidently, both Baylor and Minnesota went 6-6 in the regular season in their second years under new coaches. However, they both had losing records in conference play, and neither of them played 3 CFP contenders throughout the regular season. Minnesota only played 1 team that finished the year ranked (Ohio State), but Baylor did play 4 (Oklahoma [CFP], Texas [CFP ~=~ ND this year], West Virginia, Iowa State). They went a combined 0-5 against ranked opponents. Tech will play 3 teams virtually guaranteed to finish the year ranked, with a good chance 2 of them end up in the playoff. There’s also another 3 teams on the schedule that have a good possibility of ending the year ranked (UCF, UNC, Miami). There’s a chance half of Tech’s games will come against ranked teams.

Going 6-6 in the regular season is very average, even leaning towards mediocre in this day in age when everybody plays 2-3 “buy games” a year. 6-6 is reachable for GT this year, and it would be a pretty major accomplishment, but let’s not act like Baylor and Minnesota just became world beaters overnight, it takes time. This year will provide a good barometer for where the program stands. Next year we’ll see how legit it is.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

<Spittake> VT??? You’ve already forgotten how they absolutely destroyed us 3 months ago, at home! A few recent upsets in Blacksburg were fun but that game is almost definitely an L