Brutal schedule / expectations

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m curious. What are “better than average result”? CPJ’s win rate was 0.57, so ... 7-8 wins? And we think the greatest transformation in the history of the planet will yield ... 7-9?

I like what we’re doing. But realistic too.
Yes, 7-8 wins per year with an occasional 9+.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
And I’ll point out that I never brought that up, you did. Which says a lot more about you than it does me.

Correct. I brought that up. Belly aching about the new coach, wishing for the old coach, denigrating fans that are excited, all for a coach that was a smidgen better than Gailey.
Your posts say more about you than anything I've ever posted says anything about me.

U just big mad that you can't doodoo on CGC for any valid reason and that everyone has moved on from 3-9.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Correct. I brought that up. Belly aching about the new coach, wishing for the old coach, denigrating fans that are excited, all for a coach that was a smidgen better than Gailey.
Your posts say more about you than anything I've ever posted says anything about me.

U just big mad that you can't doodoo on CGC for any valid reason and that everyone has moved on from 3-9.

Well you don’t know anything about me do you? I’m delighted Geoff took the job because not many would.

As to CPJ, he did what what could with what he had. I have a far bigger issue with 40+ years of GTAA ineptitude than anything else.

But if you actually read my posts, you would get that. But you didn’t. You’re too busy projecting your own shortcomings.

Put the shovel down Son. The hole you’re digging is deep enough.

Well, just getting back from Atlanta, Lake Rabun to be exact. So we have the schedule and frankly it is probably a top 10 in difficulty.
Question marks: Syracuse, Duke UCF, Miami
No Questions: UGA, Clemson, ND, UNC, Va Tech

So here we go. We beat Gardner Webb. That is our only 80% sure win. Let's hope.
A lot of course depends on what we do on offense who our QB is, if we are not a pass happy team.
But that said I will assume much of the same as last year.

Losses, UGA, Clemson, ND, UNC, UVA, Va Tech, Miami, Pitt, UCF.
Maybe Games, Duke, Syracuse.

Why Miami? It is just their time to win. Pitt, UCF, Va Tech are just better than us.

For the last 2 Duke and Cuse I think we split.
2-10 is my prediction for next year.

Not to be a downer but just looking at this with no Gold tinted glasses.
It is the following year that either we see a change in the OC or the current staff and young talent pays off to get to a 5 or 6 win team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, just getting back from Atlanta, Lake Rabun to be exact. So we have the schedule and frankly it is probably a top 10 in difficulty.
Question marks: Syracuse, Duke UCF, Miami
No Questions: UGA, Clemson, ND, UNC, Va Tech

So here we go. We beat Gardner Webb. That is our only 80% sure win. Let's hope.
A lot of course depends on what we do on offense who our QB is, if we are not a pass happy team.
But that said I will assume much of the same as last year.

Losses, UGA, Clemson, ND, UNC, UVA, Va Tech, Miami, Pitt, UCF.
Maybe Games, Duke, Syracuse.

Why Miami? It is just their time to win. Pitt, UCF, Va Tech are just better than us.

For the last 2 Duke and Cuse I think we split.
2-10 is my prediction for next year.

Not to be a downer but just looking at this with no Gold tinted glasses.
It is the following year that either we see a change in the OC or the current staff and young talent pays off to get to a 5 or 6 win team.
No gold color glasses I would say your not using any glasses.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will go 4-8 with wins over Webb, Duke, Cuse and UVA. I think we are going to look a lot more competitive than most people think against UNC, VT, ND, UCF and Miami though. I could even see some of those games go our way. I could also see us losing to Gardner Webb to...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think we will go 4-8 with wins over Webb, Duke, Cuse and UVA. I think we are going to look a lot more competitive than most people think against UNC, VT, ND, UCF and Miami though. I could even see some of those games go our way. I could also see us losing to Gardner Webb to...

No we will not lose to Gardner-Webb, or come anywhere remotely near it. Too much beef coming in on the OL and too much talent coming in all around.

Key transfers and recruits, most everybody coming back a year older and stronger - this team, especially the offense - is going to take a big leap forward. Last year was the nadir, and now we're on our way up fast. The schedule will keep us down, but it won't keep us out of a bowl game.

No gold color glasses I would say your not using any glasses.
You are right, I am being realistic. Since we have moved to a non scheme and are trying to out athlete teams......we just can't compete with a lot of our schedule. Va Tech this past year showed me that. And as I have said, this is an experiment to see if Tech can get enough players to out athlete......we shall see.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You are right, I am being realistic. Since we have moved to a non scheme and are trying to out athlete teams......we just can't compete with a lot of our schedule. Va Tech this past year showed me that. And as I have said, this is an experiment to see if Tech can get enough players to out athlete......we shall see.
I'm just more optimistic starters coming back Transfors that will be able to play good players who were injured last year took a red shirt and will play an offensive line that should be better. Hopefully one good freshman QB or at least one that practices consistently this year. I'm not looking to win 12 games but I just think we can do better.

I'm just more optimistic starters coming back Transfors that will be able to play good players who were injured last year took a red shirt and will play an offensive line that should be better. Hopefully one good freshman QB or at least one that practices consistently this year. I'm not looking to win 12 games but I just think we can do better.

the other thing is that the schedule itself just sets up bad.
We start by getting beat up by Clemson. Then we have Gardner Web where we probably win, Feeling good UCF comes in and they have a team that can beat us. @ UNC then @ Va Tech....not good
UVA at home without Perkins might be a steal win.
Then at Pitt and Cuse. Two very long road games.
Duke at home, another maybe.
Then the last 3....losses.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I see a lot of people saying Tech has to “out-athlete” teams to win now. Well, that was technically true under CPJ too. The 08, 09, and 14 seasons, Tech did “out-athlete” a lot of the teams they beat. Those teams were loaded with NFL talent, along with a great coach. But it’s not like this coaching is bad. Are a few of them unproven? Sure. But CGC is highly regarded defensive coach, and CBK is one of the best OL coaches in the country. A lot of the staff is young, but that doesn’t make them incompetent.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
the other thing is that the schedule itself just sets up bad.
We start by getting beat up by Clemson. Then we have Gardner Web where we probably win, Feeling good UCF comes in and they have a team that can beat us. @ UNC then @ Va Tech....not good
UVA at home without Perkins might be a steal win.
Then at Pitt and Cuse. Two very long road games.
Duke at home, another maybe.
Then the last 3....losses.
OIP.s3gg_6jQlRwZVm_KmEzMqQHaF2

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I believe both averaged 8 wins a year.

I didn't make the edit window so I'll update here.

Johnson averaged 7.54 wins per season
Gailey 7.33
O'leary 7.57

We have been a consistently solid program over the last 25 years with varying styles of offenses. The 3O brought similar success overall to the other systems, but left our program in a much worse shape than the others. At this point this statement seems more fact than opinion.