Brian Kelly on Justin Thomas & Getting to the QB

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Kelly was asked who is simulating JT this week in the last question of this clip. Realistic response.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote: " We have someone overlapping the person assigned to the QB" in case that person can't get to him.
Does this equate to 2 guys spying JT? If so, their defense may be in trouble. It seems like Tulane had a similar strategy of keeping JT and the B-Back contained, but his quick reads made us impossible to stop.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it. I'm guessing that he's talking about a DB who has secondary QB responsibility once it's clear that it's not a pass or something like that.
Also, not the best idea because we try to account for all defenders with blockers. If you have a secondary player focusing on JT he's liable to get cracked real hard (think of Prewitt in Ole Miss game) and leave a big opening.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
That is how they played Navy as well. Roll a safety down in the box to account for the QB. It means that if you block the person with pitch responsibility you have a home run.

The end takes the dive, the MLB rolls to get the pitch guy, the safety and OLB take the QB. If they play this way against us we can kill them with play action and the load option.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Does this equate to 2 guys spying JT? If so, their defense may be in trouble. It seems like Tulane had a similar strategy of keeping JT and the B-Back contained, but his quick reads made us impossible to stop.
Unless they're playing 12 guys on D, then putting 2 on JT opens up either a receiver or a back to run free. If that is, in fact, what he meant.
Don't see how this works, but that's why we play the games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If 2 defenders have overlapping responsibility of covering JT, it really sounds like they want to force us to pass, which may not help them any.

Enough pre-game talk! Let's go! To Hell with Rudy!
Seems to me that the QB now will occupy two defenders rather than the traditional one. Strange and it has to weaken the defense somewhere.

(I'm glad you guys could understand that. I didn't get two words. Maybe it is my computer speaker.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I linked this on my Twitter:

Tall task for ND scout team to simulate Justin Thomas

"We had a couple of guys that we’re trying to be Justin Thomas, but you can’t really simulate it," head coach Brian Kelly said. "You know, Justin Thomas is an interesting player. The way coach has his offensive set, you really can’t get a hit on him. It’s very difficult. They protect him. They take him out of goal-line (plays) to make certain he doesn’t get hit in those situations, and where he obviously is the most creative is where you don’t assign or they block somebody that has quarterback, obviously he’s got elite speed. We don’t have anybody other than the quarterbacks that are on our scout team, so we can’t duplicate that."

Notre Dame's defense focused on going through the motions rather than the speed of Thomas, which it will see in person for the first time Saturday afternoon.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Tall-task-for-ND-scout-team-to-simulate-Justin-Thomas-39504457

bowdon rambler

Georgia Tech Fan
Y'all are funny with all of your coaching on this blog. I think Johnson should hire some of you as assistants.
In all seriousness, I'm sure whatever scheme they try to do Johnson has seen it before.