Monday, February 15
Monday, February 22
Monday, February 29

Monday, March 7

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Was anyone able to listen?

If so, anything newsworthy?
I listened, nothing super interesting. Here's a summary if you don't want to waste an hour:

- Deepest team he's had at GT
- Super impressed with Chuck, thinks White and Lammers would start on a lot of teams in the country so it's great they can come off the bench
- He credited the 40 minutes of defense our guards play to missed FTs by the opposition late in games (UT and Tulane were mentioned specifically)
- He's really happy with the Non-conference schedule wrt RPI, thinks maybe we shouldn't have played such a tough schedule in years past because we weren't able to/deep enough handle it and then jump into ACC schedule. His example was ND last year (I'm not going to fact check this) but they had a super soft schedule before the ACC, were able to build confidence and then make the tourney.
- Game against VCU is really important for the program. Apparently ESPN picked it up as soon as it was announced. Thinks even though kids won't be in school, we might get some casual basketball fan foot traffic at the game (i.e. not just GT fans.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for posting Jason.. Good stuff.

VCU game will definitely be a big one. Win that one and against UGA, and we have a shot to put ourselves into great position.

Making my season debut at McCamish next Tuesday. Hopefully we can pack the place out and give these guys a lift.

They've played well enough to date that they deserve to have a home-court advantage.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I listened, nothing super interesting. Here's a summary if you don't want to waste an hour:

- Deepest team he's had at GT
- Super impressed with Chuck, thinks White and Lammers would start on a lot of teams in the country so it's great they can come off the bench
- He credited the 40 minutes of defense our guards play to missed FTs by the opposition late in games (UT and Tulane were mentioned specifically)
- He's really happy with the Non-conference schedule wrt RPI, thinks maybe we shouldn't have played such a tough schedule in years past because we weren't able to/deep enough handle it and then jump into ACC schedule. His example was ND last year (I'm not going to fact check this) but they had a super soft schedule before the ACC, were able to build confidence and then make the tourney.
- Game against VCU is really important for the program. Apparently ESPN picked it up as soon as it was announced. Thinks even though kids won't be in school, we might get some casual basketball fan foot traffic at the game (i.e. not just GT fans.)

Even though at home not sure about advantage.
I'm interested to see if we are ready to step up.Villanova beat us badly and we said it was because they were 8th in nation.Well.they got beat like a rented mule by Ok so a bit scary.Lets see.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
He commented about playing 10 deep -- because that's just what you do these days. The pace of play and shot clock. Also said the kids understand you need to play 20+ fresh minutes instead of 30 minutes where you are dragging.

Said we need to continue to improve the offense -- both the transition offense (early shot clock) and the half court.

/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't overlook the fact that OU is one of the top teams in the country themselves, and that Nova was 4-32 from 3pt range. While they're obviously a much more talented team than us, had they shot 12% from deep against us, it would have likely been much closer.

You are exactly right about crowd turnout and that's quite a shame. Outside of a few slips to last years form, this team has played with a different mindset, and offense looks considerably different (at least in my perspective). If we get behind these guys, they could give us a lot to cheer about and become the first step of our resurgence!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This is definitely the best team that CBG has had, but their slip up against ETSU brought back tons of bad memories and made me feel like "ssdd".......I will root for them, but don't expect much of a change in fan support until the team actually proves itself with some big wins over teams they are not expected to beat.

Remember, we're not building much with this team...so many will be gone next year that it will be a total reboot then. Coming to support a team that is close but losing because the program is building is exciting...supporting a team that is close but losing when they are at their apex is...a downer.

This program needs a couple of big upsets to get back on the radar....not just decent play.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, I went and looked at KenPom...we are rated #74. Our schedule thus far:
Cornell #272
Tennessee #93
Green Bay #158
ETSU #245
Arkansas #96
Villanova #5
Wofford #197
Tulane #227

VCU #40
UGa #82

Honestly, lose to VCU...which we should...and fans will continue to "not believe"...sad for the guys on the team...just expressing an opinion....no one would love to see McCamish jammed and rocking' more than I.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Also just for grins, I looked up the ACC teams on KenPom:

@UNC #9
@Pitt #32
Virginia #1
@Notre Dame #23
VPI&SU #134
Louisville #11
@N C State #73
@Syracuse #34
Duke #4
Miami (FL) #13
Wake Forest #88
@Clemson #54
@FSU #33
Notre Dame #23
Clemson #54
@BC #245
@Louisville #11
Pitt #32

My goodness, even being better than last year we could easily go 3-13 in ACC play. And 5-11 looks like the best we can achieve unless we are MUCH better than we have been thus far (one can hope...)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My goodness, even being better than last year we could easily go 3-13 in ACC play. And 5-11 looks like the best we can achieve unless we are MUCH better than we have been thus far (one can hope...)

When it's all said and done, I think it will be damn near impossible to finish at 3-13 in ACC play.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When it's all said and done, I think it will be damn near impossible to finish at 3-13 in ACC play.

Oh, geez...we play 18 games now, don't we! Duh. So, you're telling me 3-15 is possible.....I'm not sure I feel any better....as I only counted the "wins" against teams with lower ratings than us...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh, geez...we play 18 games now, don't we! Duh. So, you're telling me 3-15 is possible.....I'm not sure I feel any better....as I only counted the "wins" against teams with lower ratings than us...

You realize you're leaning way too heavily on these rankings, right?

I don't think we'll get there, but I could make a case for 9-10 potential ACC wins based on how well I think these ACC teams are playing this year.

Pitt twice, Clemson twice, ND, Wake, Louisville, BC, VT, possibly NC State.

Clemson & Pitt are wildly overrated compared to what they probably are. Louisville has good youth, but they've played exactly 1 good team. NC State is probably a toss-up and have question marks. I'll take us in home games against Wake, VT, & ND, probably wouldn't on the road. BC is young and, at least for now, just not good.

I'm assuming losses UNC, UVA, & Miami. At ND could be a surprise to our favor, but wouldn't assume that. At Ville will be too tough. FSU on the road with those guards is unlikely. Cuse & dook certainly have weaknesses, but better to err on those being losses.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also just for grins, I looked up the ACC teams on KenPom:

@UNC #9
@Pitt #32
Virginia #1
@Notre Dame #23
VPI&SU #134
Louisville #11
@N C State #73
@Syracuse #34
Duke #4
Miami (FL) #13
Wake Forest #88
@Clemson #54
@FSU #33
Notre Dame #23
Clemson #54
@BC #245
@Louisville #11
Pitt #32

Here's a more Pollyanna view from TeamRankings. We are #42 and predicted to win 7.5 ACC games and lose 10.5. That will hold me to first pitch in 71 days. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets/projections

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
He commented about playing 10 deep -- because that's just what you do these days. The pace of play and shot clock. Also said the kids understand you need to play 20+ fresh minutes instead of 30 minutes where you are dragging.

Said we need to continue to improve the offense -- both the transition offense (early shot clock) and the half court.

/

This comment by Gregory concerns me. I haven't looked at PT in a couple of weeks, but as I posted then, UK's starters were getting more PT per game than GT's.

I don't believe GT has more quality depth than UK. I do believe Calapari understands building chemistry--especially on O--by starters playing together. I don't believe Gregory does.

Gregory is clearly a defense first coach, and he wants fresh legs on D. He holds the offense back in favor of D. My opinion is that basketball is an offense first game. I also believe that an athlete can get in shape to play 35 minutes over a two hour stretch and not lose that much.

We may have 10 good players, but we don't have 10 ACC quality players.

I had hope for Gregory this year, but I am rapidly starting to believe that he doesn't get it. Maybe he will change his rapid substitutions in ACC play, but I doubt it. He has also lost the opportunity to build game time chemistry with the starters prior to ACC play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This comment by Gregory concerns me. I haven't looked at PT in a couple of weeks, but as I posted then, UK's starters were getting more PT per game than GT's.

I don't believe GT has more quality depth than UK. I do believe Calapari understands building chemistry--especially on O--by starters playing together. I don't believe Gregory does.

Gregory is clearly a defense first coach, and he wants fresh legs on D. He holds the offense back in favor of D. My opinion is that basketball is an offense first game. I also believe that an athlete can get in shape to play 35 minutes over a two hour stretch and not lose that much.

We may have 10 good players, but we don't have 10 ACC quality players.

I had hope for Gregory this year, but I am rapidly starting to believe that he doesn't get it. Maybe he will change his rapid substitutions in ACC play, but I doubt it. He has also lost the opportunity to build game time chemistry with the starters prior to ACC play.

Every time I see Dayton play now , I see they didn't lose anything with PG.er, same with Blewitt.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here's a more Pollyanna view from TeamRankings. We are #42 and predicted to win 7.5 ACC games and lose 10.5. That will hold me to first pitch in 71 days. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets/projections

If I could get the ETSU game out of my brain, I might feel more encouraged by that assessment. But I can't. That was simply a miserable performance. Come to think of it, I need to get the lest 10 years or so out of my brain...

Well, beesball isn't far away!!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You realize you're leaning way too heavily on these rankings, right?

I don't think we'll get there, but I could make a case for 9-10 potential ACC wins based on how well I think these ACC teams are playing this year.

Pitt twice, Clemson twice, ND, Wake, Louisville, BC, VT, possibly NC State.

Clemson & Pitt are wildly overrated compared to what they probably are. Louisville has good youth, but they've played exactly 1 good team. NC State is probably a toss-up and have question marks. I'll take us in home games against Wake, VT, & ND, probably wouldn't on the road. BC is young and, at least for now, just not good.

I'm assuming losses UNC, UVA, & Miami. At ND could be a surprise to our favor, but wouldn't assume that. At Ville will be too tough. FSU on the road with those guards is unlikely. Cuse & dook certainly have weaknesses, but better to err on those being losses.
'Cuse game is very winnable. Don't be fooled by the Battle 4 Atlantis championship... told my brother then that I'd take GT on a neutral court. The Dome may help, but you never know when two enigmas face off.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like/hate this team. They are deep with seniors but that's due to transfers not from them being developed, and after this season GT will be starting all over again. The pg play is not great either. I love the size though.