Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I have tried to not post very much since I don't have much good to say about the FB program. But if CGC is going to make it, he MUST do what Dabo did and do what ever it takes to hire the best assistants. In this case what does it take to keep Key to help develop the OL further. Dabo kept his pay low at first so he had more money for the other coaches.

If this experiment is going to make it, he has to get the best coaches he can by any means necessary. If Key wants to be an OC, then we could sure use one.
Sorry. Even if CGC worked for ONE DOLLAR, we couldn’t come close to matching what they are doing.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
All schools lose good assistant coaches. I really don't want to lose Brent Key, but there's probably some young hungry go get 'em line coach at another school just waiting for an opportunity to coach on the Power 5 level. You never know, we could come out ahead. I just wonder if the lay offs due to the budget has anything to do with this. And I hope there is no animosity among members of the coaching staff. That would be a Collins problem. Here on the internet, none of us know.
I like this... a lot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Dabo kept his pay low at first so he had more money for the other coaches.

Dabo had low pay at first because he was extraordinarily unproven in relation to most new head coaches and so had incentive laden contract including clauses to give him auto raises equal to the average of a certain number of top coaches in the conference. By year 3 his contract was on par with what was normal at the time and it steadily increased from there.

He might have been hired based on the strategy of going bigger on assistants, but he was the product of that mentality not the cause of it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I never said we needed to match them. Not sure how you made that part up. I said he needs to do what ever he can to increase the assistant skill set like Dabo did
I never said you did. No I never made up anything. I’m still sorry that we can’t be Clemson. Fact is our head coach could work for free and the rest of our budget couldn’t compete with a handful of coaches if we are in a bidding was. I’m pretty sure none of this is made up either.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I never said you did. No I never made up anything. I’m still sorry that we can’t be Clemson. Fact is our head coach could work for free and the rest of our budget couldn’t compete with a handful of coaches if we are in a bidding was. I’m pretty sure none of this is made up either.
Bidding war

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I have tried to not post very much since I don't have much good to say about the FB program. But if CGC is going to make it, he MUST do what Dabo did and do what ever it takes to hire the best assistants. In this case what does it take to keep Key to help develop the OL further. Dabo kept his pay low at first so he had more money for the other coaches.

If this experiment is going to make it, he has to get the best coaches he can by any means necessary. If Key wants to be an OC, then we could sure use one.

Dabo was hired at a low salary because he was promoted from being a position coach at Clemson, which was a mediocre program at the time (Dabo was a realtor in Alabama before that). The $1 million they paid him was a huge bump. He then lost to Spurrier 5 years in a row, whcih didn't exactly put him in a good bargaining position for another big bump.

To say that he "kept his salary low" is a complete misinterpretation of the facts, just like your opinion about the GT football program---- that is now bringing in the talent to allow Tech to compete in P5 football.

slugboy

Staff member
Dabo was hired at a low salary because he was promoted from being a position coach at Clemson, which was a mediocre program at the time (Dabo was a realtor in Alabama before that). The $1 million they paid him was a huge bump. He then lost to Spurrier 5 years in a row, whcih didn't exactly put him in a good bargaining position for another big bump.

To say that he "kept his salary low" is a complete misinterpretation of the facts, just like your opinion about the GT football program---- that is now bringing in the talent to allow Tech to compete in P5 football.
Swinney was once a realtor, but he’d been coaching since 1996, except for a couple of years after Mike DuBose was fired, restarted coaching in 2003, and was assistant head coach at the time he was promoted. The way you put it gives the impression that he didn’t have much coaching experience.
Here’s his Wikipedia link, which has his coaching history.
Clemson had money and expectations before Swinney became head coach. That’s why the fired Bowden to give him an chance, and that’s why the fired Bowden’s predecessor to get Bowden (who was a well regarded and hot coach when they hired him).
Swinney did give the impression of voluntarily keeping his salary low to pay assistants. He stopped that once he started killing it in victories.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Swinney was once a realtor, but he’d been coaching since 1996, except for a couple of years after Mike DuBose was fired, restarted coaching in 2003, and was assistant head coach at the time he was promoted. The way you put it gives the impression that he didn’t have much coaching experience.

He was a realtor after he left Bama and right before he went to Clemson. That is what he was referencing.

Regardless, he was extremely inexperienced by P5 standards to be a head coach. Collins was called inexperienced despite being a HC for two years and a DC since 2010 including multiple years in the SEC. Swinney had what, one year above position coach, if that? Swinney almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the job if he didn't "voluntarily" keep his salary low. Even then, his contract had written in stipulations for automatic raises and he was quickly at a level consistent with the top half of the conference, and shortly after that significantly ahead of average.

Clemson as a whole decided to invest in coordinators which is probably why they went cheap with the coaching hire.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is yet another reason why trying to win with only good recruiting, no schematic scheme advantages, huge spending disadvantage (recruiting analysis ect), more difficult school to get in and stay in as an athlete. Plus throw in less capable coaches because we can't afford them and the odds of this experiment being successful are slim and getting closer to none with each new record set like worst loss in ACC history, losing to much lower tier teams with fewer scholarships available, getting destroyed by UGA, Back to back 3 win seasons. Poor game day coaching. The list goes on and one. He has put together a program that is a chair with only one leg and that leg is made out of Balsa wood.

CGC needs to do something next year or the recruits will start to see him as nothing more than a snake oil salesman. A 5-6 win season is not going to cut it. He is right on the edge. Honestly his recruiting classes are not setting the world on fire either. So nothing there to make up for the rest of the deficiencies. He could cut his pay in half or more and at least hire a really good OC

As frustrated as I am with the obvious head coach who is not ready to be a head coach. I REALLY want him to be succesful. I think he can grow into being a decent head coach, but he is going to have to make some changes. I do believe his ceiling is higher than CPJ's. But he has not shown that he is capable of getting anywhere near it. Time will tell, but he is starting to use it up

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
He was a realtor after he left Bama and right before he went to Clemson. That is what he was referencing.

Regardless, he was extremely inexperienced by P5 standards to be a head coach. Collins was called inexperienced despite being a HC for two years and a DC since 2010 including multiple years in the SEC. Swinney had what, one year above position coach, if that? Swinney almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the job if he didn't "voluntarily" keep his salary low. Even then, his contract had written in stipulations for automatic raises and he was quickly at a level consistent with the top half of the conference, and shortly after that significantly ahead of average.

Clemson as a whole decided to invest in coordinators which is probably why they went cheap with the coaching hire.
They insisted that Swinney take a larger salary when he asked for it to remain low. I think he was asking only around $400k when they made him HC and they insisted he take more. It sounds like it was pretty voluntary actually.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If SC is offering him more and he is considering it, let him take it. More money is good for him, and we should not be paying coaches more after 3-9,3-7 seasons. Literally no coach on our staff should be getting a raise.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
USC only had money cause the Barn bought out Bobo, key would’ve only got 100,000 more. He’s a top 15 paid OL coach in America after back to back 3 win seasons money isn’t an issue. If Tech can starting winning everyone will get paid.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If SC is offering him more and he is considering it, let him take it. More money is good for him, and we should not be paying coaches more after 3-9,3-7 seasons. Literally no coach on our staff should be getting a raise.

Why? Because the prior staff had poor recruiting? Do you punish your younger child for your older child's failures?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Actually, he might have lost to Spurrier five years in a row later, a wonderful and mouthy rivalry, but he cemented his change from interim to coach by beating Spurrier and SC, a game that he admits he had to win or move on. And he got the big bump in relative terms. And he did in fact decline part of -- part of -- a big pay raise by directing elements of it to his assistants. I believe Paul Johnson did that once. One might interpret as one wishes, but it was a very smart move on his part. And let's be fair: while Dabo was in fact selling/leasing commercial real estate in Tuscaloosa at one point, and as as one might imagine, he made a lot of money selling. But he was doing it because he was on Mike DeBose's Alabama football staff as a WR coach before they were all fired by a new coach who was just as bad. Before that he was an assistant to Gene Stallings. So he wasn't a realitor who decided to give football a try. He was a football coach who had to give real estate a try. (I understand he keeps a yard sign in his basement to remind him.)

Status
Not open for further replies.