Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Looks like USC may get some buy-out money from the two that left for Auburn. Probably helps in luring away CBK if so.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look fact is CBK is a good coach and I like him. I have no idea if this is true about USC . Would not want to see him go and would hope the CGC would work with the AD to keep since this could be bad for both of their jobs. But if he does go I wish him bad luck ( I'm just that kind of an A**hole) Your a TECH man or your not

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If this is about money, GT needs to decide if it wants to play big boy football. Who exactly do we want to be in college athletics?
I can decide that I want to buy a private island in the Caribbean. That doesn't mean that I can do it. GT Athletics doesn't have the money that programs like Texas, or even South Carolina have.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Key's salary is already one of the highest for an OL coach. According to records, he's currently making $600K/year. Just to give you an idea, here are the top OL Coaching salaries currently:

1. Matt Luke, Georgia — $900,000
2. Will Friend, Tennessee — $805,000
3. Bill Bedebaugh, Oklahoma — $750,000
4. Justin Frye, UCLA — $700,000
5. Eric Wolford, South Carolina — $700,000
6. Kyle Flood, Alabama — $650,000
6. Herb Hand, Texas — $650,000
8. Robbie Caldwell, Clemson — $640,000
9. Ed Warinner, Michigan — $625,000
10. Josh Henson, Texas A&M — $605,000

Key is easily one of the best paid OL coaches in the nation. He's not too far off from being in the top 10, and he's currently the second highest paid OL coach in the ACC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Key's salary is already one of the highest for an OL coach. According to records, he's currently making $600K/year. Just to give you an idea, here are the top OL Coaching salaries currently:

1. Matt Luke, Georgia — $900,000
2. Will Friend, Tennessee — $805,000
3. Bill Bedebaugh, Oklahoma — $750,000
4. Justin Frye, UCLA — $700,000
5. Eric Wolford, South Carolina — $700,000
6. Kyle Flood, Alabama — $650,000
6. Herb Hand, Texas — $650,000
8. Robbie Caldwell, Clemson — $640,000
9. Ed Warinner, Michigan — $625,000
10. Josh Henson, Texas A&M — $605,000

Key is easily one of the best paid OL coaches in the nation. He's not too far off from being in the top 10, and he's currently the second highest paid OL coach in the ACC.
Key is also the highest paid assistant at Tech, and the only one making over $500k a year. Those other OL coaches are probably only the 3rd or 4th highest paid assistant on their own staffs. A lot of Key’s salary comes from his AHC title.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If Key leaves for less than $1m and we didn't offer him Pnut's salary/job, that's a major mistake on Geoff's part if he doesn't have someone equal or better lined up (and I don't think he does). Key is an excellent coach and recruiter with serious ties to Tech, while Pnut is mediocre at best at coaching and has no recognition as a recruiter, and no ties to Tech or the South beyond his current role here.
???

What has CBK proven as an OC? If he goes to USC and gets paid OC money than we aren’t able to compete financially. How is that CGCs fault?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't Shane Beamer a GA at Tech when Key was a player?

Frank Beamer, O'Leary, and Friedgen are all really good friends. All had homes at the same lake. Shane was a grad assistant for O'Leary.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you guys a question. What makes Brent Key such a great position coach? Seems to me that UCF and Alabama have not fallen apart since he left them. I think his best recruit for Georgia Tech has been Jamious Griffin. No offense, but Coach Choice is the guy we need to hang onto.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Looks like USC may get some buy-out money from the two that left for Auburn. Probably helps in luring away CBK if so.
Did we collect the $1M buyout when OLeary left for ND. They agreed to pay and then refused. Another reason I absolutely despise them. They hired him away. We didn't fire him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you guys a question. What makes Brent Key such a great position coach? Seems to me that UCF and Alabama have not fallen apart since he left them. I think his best recruit for Georgia Tech has been Jamious Griffin. No offense, but Coach Choice is the guy we need to hang onto.

Choice was the lead recruiter for Jamious.

Gibbs chose Georgia Tech, placing a white “TECH” hat on his head. When cameras and reporters gathered around him for a few minutes after he made his decision, Gibbs was asked: “What was the biggest factor that went into your decision?”

Without hesitation, Gibbs looked up and said: “Coach Choice.”

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This thread is turning into the AB thread. Suddenly everyone who was in love with CBK is now claiming he's not a world beater like they used to think.
I don’t think that’s true. CBK is by far the most established coach on the staff. He’s worked for and under a great pedigree of coaches. He’s won conference championships and a national championship. He’s a GT alum and played during one of the most successful stretches of GT football over the last 3 years. He was a great hire for CGC, and I think he was instrumental in getting the OL transfers in.

But, he hasn’t really pulled in any high profile HS recruits, which is what he said he was going to do. He’s the highest paid coach on staff by a wide margin. His resume as an OC is arguably worse than CDPs. None of the factories with opening have come calling. Not even the ones with new HCs that he worked with. Sarkisian at Texas, Pruitt at Tennessee, and Kiffin at Ole Miss. None of them seemed interested in hiring him. Not even Saban has come calling about getting him back. Sarkisian even took his replacement at Alabama with him to Texas. I think what most people who are being cynical are thinking is that, while Key may be the most established name on staff, there’s really no proof in the pudding that he’s head and shoulders above the competition.

But, just like with AB, on the other side of the coin you have people looking at it like it’s some kind of sign of internal trouble. People are saying that Key leaving means he has no confidence in the staff or the team or whatnot. I don’t think that’s the case at all. It’s just business. If Key will get a raise at USCe, or he thinks that’s a better move for his career, then he’d be a fool not to go. But as far as Tech goes, I think him leaving will hurt, but I certainly don’t think it will be the end of the program.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s true. CBK is by far the most established coach on the staff. He’s worked for and under a great pedigree of coaches. He’s won conference championships and a national championship. He’s a GT alum and played during one of the most successful stretches of GT football over the last 3 years. He was a great hire for CGC, and I think he was instrumental in getting the OL transfers in.

But, he hasn’t really pulled in any high profile HS recruits, which is what he said he was going to do. He’s the highest paid coach on staff by a wide margin. His resume as an OC is arguably worse than CDPs. None of the factories with opening have come calling. Not even the ones with new HCs that he worked with. Sarkisian at Texas, Pruitt at Tennessee, and Kiffin at Ole Miss. None of them seemed interested in hiring him. Not even Saban has come calling about getting him back. Sarkisian even took his replacement at Alabama with him to Texas. I think what most people who are being cynical are thinking is that, while Key may be the most established name on staff, there’s really no proof in the pudding that he’s head and shoulders above the competition.

But, just like with AB, on the other side of the coin you have people looking at it like it’s some kind of sign of internal trouble. People are saying that Key leaving means he has no confidence in the staff or the team or whatnot. I don’t think that’s the case at all. It’s just business. If Key will get a raise at USCe, or he thinks that’s a better move for his career, then he’d be a fool not to go. But as far as Tech goes, I think him leaving will hurt, but I certainly don’t think it will be the end of the program.
Oh I don't disagree with you. in fact, I agree that Key has under performed as far as recruiting O-line goes. He's also delivered much less than he promised recruiting wise. With that said, there was noticeable improvement in line play between first and second year (hard not to honestly). Nobody but CGC and CBK have the exact answers to whether CBK has lost confidence in staff or program. It could also be money reasons. This could all be a non-issue, none of this goes anywhere, and CBK stays.

Its just funny how quickly people are backpedaling suddenly (was my original point). What has changed from yesterday to today that suddenly has everyone proclaiming their reservations with CBK (in terms of his coaching ability)?

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to take CBKs recruiting with a grain of salt too. COVID has impacted a lot hes only had one group on campus so far. As far as athletes not being able to visit campus that has affected our recruiting tremendously. At the position were in theyre not jus gonna come for the name like other schools

Status
Not open for further replies.