Brent Key is not the answer

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless you have 20 million to send to Tech you have to give a coach 3 years like it or not. If you fire him this year who it the hell are you going to get?
I still think DEION would been a good 2-3 year answer would could have gotten COLLEGE GAME DAY on CAMPUS. National media exposure ,a starting QB 1 WR/DB 1 starting SAFETY .SOLD out stadium every home game ,millions and millions dollars in sponsorship and donations. Maybe high a profile national televised games . GTAA had nothing to lose and everything to gain ,especially MONEY. Just my opinion. Agree or disagree

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is GT’s defense really that bad from a talent standpoint or is coaching just not getting them in a better position? BC has not scored over 30 this year except against Tech and Holy Cross - PU!

We had a talent advantage over BC (according to 247 talent composite), and BC's offense going into this weekend was #64 Offensive FEI (our defensive FEI was #77). BC came to play, our team did not. I didn't see any of our kids quit, we just got out coached, and BC had a difference making QB that tore up our defensive game plan.

Our recipe for success this season is keep our TOs to a minimum (one or less) and create turnovers. Our QB had a great day on the ground, but we couldn't overcome his accuracy issues and picks. King probably played his worst game all season in terms of overall QB play.

Simply put, this team is a boom or bust team. We either play well, or we play like sh!t. Honestly, if weren't for the boneheaded decision by Miami's HC, GT would be looking down the barrel of a 2-5 season right now. There's still a chance for a bowl game, but we just gave away one of our best chances to get a win. It's gonna be a TOUGH road to 6 wins.

I still have faith in Key. I think his biggest mistake was not wiping the entire staff clean of the Collins stain. Our offense is very uneven, but we're MUCH MUCH better than we've been since CPJ. Our defense still struggles with fundamentals. I think our defense could have benefitted with a new coaching perspective and message. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and it seemed we did make some strides towards the end of last season.

Key needs to put up some wins and a bowl is VERY important for the momentum we were building coming off the offseason. Hopefully we pull a few upsets and take care of teams we should. We'll see, but coming off a bye week, this was a pitiful showing all around.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I still think DEION would been a good 2-3 year answer would could have gotten COLLEGE GAME DAY on CAMPUS. National media exposure ,a starting QB 1 WR/DB 1 starting SAFETY .SOLD out stadium every home game ,millions and millions dollars in sponsorship and donations. Maybe high a profile national televised games . GTAA had nothing to lose and everything to gain ,especially MONEY. Just my opinion. Agree or disagree
Do you really think the players he brought into Colorado could have made in into Tech?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Is GT’s defense really that bad from a talent standpoint or is coaching just not getting them in a better position? BC has not scored over 30 this year except against Tech and Holy Cross - PU!
Our defense is that bad, and 7 were from the offense

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you really think the players he brought into Colorado could have made in into Tech?
You’re right, of course not. The formula of blowing out all scholarship players, replacing them with transfers, many of whom aren’t remotely academically qualified, is beneath our academic, cultural, and ethical standards. It’s a formula to achieve football success but at a price we wouldn’t pay.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree but we are cheap and always play it safe. With our old *** sit on your hands fanbase, Deion was never a realistic option.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Completely agree but we are cheap and always play it safe. With our old *** sit on your hands fanbase, Deion was never a realistic option.

Deon still has issues as well, did no one see the collapse last week and the shut out two weeks ago. His players also would never been able to get into tech

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just think its too early to bash Key. Collins left us in a pretty bad spot. We currently have no depth. If we lose 1 DL we are completely ****ed. The injuries plus the recent transfers also hurt. I think what the program needs is stability. That is probably the best thing that can help with recruiting. The bet is to give Key a few more years then judge. We are financially strapped for cash anyways. Does watching these games suck? Yes. Will it get better? I hope so. All I can say is if we can give a clown like Collins 3.5 years and hype him up, we can give Key 3-4.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I just think its too early to bash Key. Collins left us in a pretty bad spot. We currently have no depth. If we lose 1 DL we are completely ****ed. The injuries plus the recent transfers also hurt. I think what the program needs is stability. That is probably the best thing that can help with recruiting. The bet is to give Key a few more years then judge. We are financially strapped for cash anyways. Does watching these games suck? Yes. Will it get better? I hope so. All I can say is if we can give a clown like Collins 3.5 years and hype him up, we can give Key 3-4.

Bingo, too many folks are acting on emotions and being reactionary. We need to allow the program to stabilize. I know folks are still feeling from the Collins era and want immediate results, but we have to allow key to build his program. And I know folks are worried about giving another coach 3-4 years, but that's our option.
Also considering the budget and the recruiting.
It's going to take time to fix the mess we.are in

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This.

Sometime at the end of last season, when everyone was settling into the idea of Key as HC (some readily, others reluctantly), I posted about how we need to give him the same expectations we would any other new HC.

Quite simply, it doesn't matter that he was on TFG's staff. It certainly doesn't matter that he had the title of "Associate HC and Run Game Coordinator." Titles are meaningless if your boss micromanages and/or insists on following the wrong strategy and tactics (and doesn't give you reign to act as the CEO of your areas of responsibility. Ask me how I know this.) Not only that, but I've always been wary of "Co-" titles. The buck has to stop with someone, and if there's no hierarchy, there's no clear ownership of results. And in the case of Key, if there IS a hierarchy, then the person with the biggest title/ownership wins. Period.

I have no doubt that Key was restricted under Collins, and that it greatly affected his ability to do his job and get the OL ready each week. I DO have doubts as to HOW much Collins affected that ability - but I'm sure Key was unable to perform at his best under TFG's "leadership."

All that being said, this is a clean slate. He had a half year with TFG's staff last year, and he's had this year to get his start, effectively from 0. It was never going to be an immediate turnaround, no matter which head coach we hired (see: Deion's results at CU). Last year I mentioned that our fanbase needs to be patient, because no coach (well, none we could get) was going to come in and get us back to CPJ's levels in 1 year. For all coaches, we say "they need time to get their guys in there." I'm pretty sure that there is some attitude that's left over from TFG's team that will need to be flushed out over the next few years.

I do think this is all what it is with any new head coach: growing pains. You're not going to win every game. You're hopefully not going to lose any games you shouldn't lose, either - but doing that once or twice per season is a Tech tradition. I want to see steady improvement from season to season. I had hoped we would reach a bowl game this season - and while that's increasingly unlikely, it's still a possibility. But at the start of the season, IIRC, 5 wins seemed reasonable to me. I still think we can get there - and given the hell we've been through for the past 4 years, that will be a HUGE step forward on the right path.

Give the guy the same time and expectations you would give any new head coach. He's effectively rebuilding from the ground up. There will continue to be speed bumps - but I don't think any of us can say that we're not seeing improvement from TFG, or even last year. I'm hopeful we'll continue to iterate and clean up the mistakes, and I think Key will make that happen. As long as he has a reasonable time to cook.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you really think the players he brought into Colorado could have made in into Tech? I’m talking about from a financial point of view not the players program needs to get financially sound to move foward to hire better proven staff.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Financial point of view Not players. Need money to move foward. If have money you can hire a better staff . You doing have to hire what the budget allows. I think you can a real choice to hire.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had become completely numb to losses and detached from the games during the Collins era, I had just got emotionally invested into games again and now im going back to detatched, not worth the frustration. key will be mediocre ongoing for the next 3 years until we move on, we will be a 4-6 win team consistently. Not sure what the program can do at this point.
Yeah, when BC hung around in the first half and Tech started struggling I felt that sense of detachment coming back. I read messages on my phone, checked emails, looked at my news feed, anything to not get too absorbed in a game that was never really fun to watch.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, when BC hung around in the first half and Tech started struggling I felt that sense of detachment coming back. I read messages on my phone, checked emails, looked at my news feed, anything to not get too absorbed in a game that was never really fun to watch.
I took the grandkids to a farm. I saw us miss the xtra point. Thought that would cost us the game. When I next tuned in, we were down 38-23. We will win 3 or 4, depending on UVA game.

Jolly Good Fellow
Key will need to recruit at a level almost never seen at GT for any significant success. There is nothing in his coaching history to support doing superior things with mostly 3 star guys. Maybe if he finds a special OC & DC, my analysis will be wrong.
If only we could find a coach who took 3* players and did well......Oh...Right...we fired that guy

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If key isn't the answer to you all, then who is. Who will come here on a next to nothing salary, no fan support, no money for assistants and fans ready to dump him at a moments notice.
I'm not saying key hasn't made mistakes , but y'all gotta realize how much of a hole were in now from Collins

Gonna be a long few years to fix things
Yep. Collins dug a deep hole. Not taking that into account, regardless of whatever justifiable criticism one has, is ignoring reality.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hate to tell you this but the game was over, nothing Key did cost us this game, our defense is trash and Haynes King had a bad day.
Yeah, I agree, focusing on that time out like it was Miami failing to take a knee at the end of a game is a little histrionic.

The larger coaching question is still valid. My search for a reasonable explanation still finds me haunted by the entitlement mentality Collins instilled in this team. I’m not sure you get rid of that in one year but Collins is going to have get a lot tougher in some of these kids.