Brent Key is not the answer

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Key has now had multiple opportunities to get us over .500 in winnable games(UVA last year, BG, BC) and we have come out with a complete goose egg every time. After the Miami game, I said, regardless of the if’s ands and buts, beating ranked teams on the road have become a trend for GT under Key. Well, that goes both ways. Regardless of the ifs ands and buts, laying a goose egg in a game with a prime opportunity to turn the cover has also become a trend. Something has to change…or the coach will.

Last edited:

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Key has now has multiple opportunities to get us over .500 in winnable games(UVA last year, BG, BC) and we have come out with a complete goose egg every time. After the Miami game, I said, regardless of the if’s ands and buts, beating ranked teams on the road have become a trend for GT under Key. Well, that goes both ways. Regardless of the ifs ands and buts, laying a goose egg in a game with a prime opportunity to turn the cover has also become a trend.
Can’t see any indicators that will change this either.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I had become completely numb to losses and detached from the games during the Collins era, I had just got emotionally invested into games again and now im going back to detatched, not worth the frustration. key will be mediocre ongoing for the next 3 years until we move on, we will be a 4-6 win team consistently. Not sure what the program can do at this point.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If key isn't the answer to you all, then who is. Who will come here on a next to nothing salary, no fan support, no money for assistants and fans ready to dump him at a moments notice.
I'm not saying key hasn't made mistakes , but y'all gotta realize how much of a hole were in now from Collins

Gonna be a long few years to fix things

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
If key isn't the answer to you all, then who is. Who will come here on a next to nothing salary, no fan support, no money for assistants and fans ready to dump him at a moments notice.
I'm not saying key hasn't made mistakes , but y'all gotta realize how much of a hole were in now from Collins
That hole has nothing to do with why we call a timeout on 4th and 8, when we are going to punt anyway.

JacketFan137

Banned

it’s not the fans job to hire the coach. that’s on the donors and j batt. doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see key is way out of his depth right now and needs to get going if tech wants to be a real contender at this level again

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Collins was 10-28 with his losses by an average of 22.7 points. We had four games where we didn’t score a single point.

Key is currently 7-8 with his losses by an average of 17.4 points. We have scored every game under Key.

I’m not thrilled with everything, but I also think it’s irrationally thinking(motivated by understandable emotions) to think we have not show any kind of improvement under Key. I’m not sold on him(his game management sucks) or his staff, but I also am not convinced it’s a lost cause yet, either. Not to mention we have to stick with this plan financially anyways

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow

Wasn’t key the asst head coach under Collins?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Collins was 10-28 with his losses by an average of 22.7 points. We had four games where we didn’t score a single point.

Key is currently 7-8 with his losses by an average of 17.4 points. We have scored every game under Key.

I’m not thrilled with everything, but I also think it’s irrationally thinking(motivated by understandable emotions) to think we have not show any kind of improvement under Key. I’m not sold on him(his game management sucks) or his staff, but I also am not convinced it’s a lost cause yet, either. Not to mention we have to stick with this plan financially anyways

Just so we are clear, you're using 4 games where Key was offensive line coach and we scored 0 points as a defense for him?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

A coach that can help a team play at or above the level of talent they are. There has to be someone.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
IMPO, CBK does need to learn how to be a head ball coach. He brings some good things to the table, but he has to grow in his profession. It seems to me what is hurting us is the inconsistency. I like our transfers, but that is what cost some of them PT where they were at before. It just takes time. Unfortunately, CBK is following 3+ years of TFG and fans’ patience is short. At this point I honestly don’t know what to expect the rest of the way.

I will say that BC is better than I thought, so today’s loss is not a total bummer. I’ve just had it in the W column all season long. Silly me.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
it’s not the fans job to hire the coach. that’s on the donors and j batt. doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see key is way out of his depth right now and needs to get going if tech wants to be a real contender at this level again
It's not , but you know just as much as I do that were in a bad place right now. Do you really think it would be smart to fire another coach again.
It doesn't take a genius either to understand the we aren't getting a better coach anytime soon, maybe better assistants

I honestly do think key can dig us out,.but will take time and patience. Unlike Collins

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
yes he has been part of the problem for years now

Twice in my life I was on a failing management staff. Our GM rarely took any of my advice to fix the issues. The first time the GM was fired and I was hired to replace him and began changing the issues, though it wasn’t fixed over night. The second time I eventually quit and found another job because I was failing at my job because the GM was only putting myself and my team in position to fail. I don’t think it’s realistic to put a good portion of blame on Key for the Collins era outside of his own position group(which sucked). Also, there’s a reason he was going to leave for South Carolina.