Brent Key is not the answer

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think 1(a) and apparently not even 1(b) anymore.

From the article;
Haarberg has thrown for 477 yards and 4 TD and 1 INT. Also 51 rushes for 270 yards and two touchdowns.

Jeff Sims has thrown for 220 yards and 1 TD with FOUR INT. He has run 30 times for 156 yards and one touchdown.

I think the stats in this article are from BEFORE the Illinois game….
Last week Haarberg did most of his damage running, but Sims does not even show up in the box score.
Rhule describes Sims as a starter. But, he doesn’t play him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me preface this by saying that I understand why we hired Key and I'm sure he'll be successful at Tech. Further, I've been a huge fan of his ever since his playing days.

That said, I would have hired Chadwell. Liberty is now 7 - 0 after a real nail biter with MTSU. The Flames had 541 yards of total O in that game, 401 rushing/140 passing. They held the ball for 37 minutes v 22 for MTSU. And this is all out of a shotgun spread. I think we would have won against both BGU and Louisville if Chadwell was our coach.

But … he isn't and I'm content with our ultimate choice. We'll win with Key. It may take a little longer, but it will happen. Imho, of course.
Chadwell will be gone in 2 years once a UF or Texas A&M come calling and it would have been the same situation if he was at Tech. Most of the guys thrown around would've used Tech as a resume builder for a Big 10 or SEC job down the line. In my mind, only two candidates viewed Tech as a long term gig. One was Key and the other was Fritz.

Additionally, it's easy to get caught up in the results as of right now, but you have to look long term. When Alabama was looking for a coach in 06, one of their candidates was Rich Rodriguez who ran an innovative offense at the time. Bama went with Saban and limped to a 7-6 finish while Rich Rod won 10 games and had West Virginia in national championship contention. I doubt 17 years later Alabama is regretting their choice.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell will be gone in 2 years once a UF or Texas A&M come calling and it would have been the same situation if he was at Tech. Most of the guys thrown around would've used Tech as a resume builder for a Big 10 or SEC job down the line. In my mind, only two candidates viewed Tech as a long term gig. One was Key and the other was Fritz.
But we don’t know that. You never know if a coach is long term or not. I know what the popular wisdom is but every coach is different and every school situation is different and changes within a given time period.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
But we don’t know that. You never know if a coach is long term or not. I know what the popular wisdom is but every coach is different and every school situation is different and changes within a given time period.
People have a good sense of things. Chadwell has shown that once a better opportunity arises he's going to go after it. And I dont think anyone is fooling themselves into believing that Tech is the greatest opportunity for Chadwell. If he decides to stick it out at Liberty, than I will gladly eat crow, but if he takes a P5 job at one of the "factories" I think that will ample proof to show he would've done the same had he been at Tech.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you suggesting Chadwell would turn down an offer to make $6MM coaching at Florida in order to stay at Liberty making what, $1MM?
Or are you comparing to if he had come here for this year? He'd probably get $3MM a year here, right?

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you suggesting Chadwell would turn down an offer to make $6MM coaching at Florida in order to stay at Liberty making what, $1MM?
Or are you comparing to if he had come here for this year? He'd probably get $3MM a year here, right?
Chadwell makes around 4M/year right now at liberty, definitely more than what we would have offered to pay him and more than coach Key currently gets here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Additionally, it's easy to get caught up in the results as of right now, but you have to look long term. When Alabama was looking for a coach in 06, one of their candidates was Rich Rodriguez who ran an innovative offense at the time. Bama went with Saban and limped to a 7-6 finish while Rich Rod won 10 games and had West Virginia in national championship contention. I doubt 17 years later Alabama is regretting their choice.
I don’t think so, he has the stink of triple-O (deserved or not) on him and no big program wants that stigma. I do belive that eventually a lower P5 team will give him a chance- WF, Northwestern, Duke, someplace like that. Don’t get me wrong I would love to have him but I don’t think the powers that be at Tech will ever head back down that road.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think so, he has the stink of triple-O (deserved or not) on him and no big program wants that stigma. I do belive that eventually a lower P5 team will give him a chance- WF, Northwestern, Duke, someplace like that. Don’t get me wrong I would love to have him but I don’t think the powers that be at Tech will ever head back down that road.
In the end those powers like to turn to their non football knowing business buddies in the box and be the smartest person in the room.... Under Johnson the NFL quips they took from the last week's broadcast were never applicable and the only offense they really understood was an I power run.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Do you think Key will stay at Tech making 3-4m if Bama or someone else offers him 8m/yr? Loyalty is only worth so much.

Chadwell would have gotten a larger salary than Key to come here, he was more qualified. But he would have had a smaller salary pool for his assistants - not a big deal, since he was planning to bring most of his assistants from CC anyway.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
People have a good sense of things. Chadwell has shown that once a better opportunity arises he's going to go after it. And I dont think anyone is fooling themselves into believing that Tech is the greatest opportunity for Chadwell. If he decides to stick it out at Liberty, than I will gladly eat crow, but if he takes a P5 job at one of the "factories" I think that will ample proof to show he would've done the same had he been at Tech.
lol this is dumb, anyone is going to go after the bigger better paying job if they can get the offer. No coach worth a damn is going to stick around at a G5 or FCS program if they've got better offers.

Complaining that a coach is going to be good enough to get bigger offers in a couple years so we shouldn't hire him is an absolutely terrible take.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
lol this is dumb, anyone is going to go after the bigger better paying job if they can get the offer. No coach worth a damn is going to stick around at a G5 or FCS program if they've got better offers.

Complaining that a coach is going to be good enough to get bigger offers in a couple years so we shouldn't hire him is an absolutely terrible take.
I agree, and also there's also the quite strong possibility Tech would match the theoretical offer made to whomever is our coach, presumably by then proven effective.
That said, I cast no wistful eye toward Chadwell even if he's the one I initially wanted (7-0 but with much better talent relative to Liberty's competition).
I'm quite well satisfied with the coach we have now on the sideline.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
re. Chadwell. The point is taking a snapshot in time doesn’t cover the unknowns that can occur over time. Would Saban ever take another job over Alabama? Hell no. And it has nothing to do with money. I suspect he’s been offered much more to coach other places but he has built a program just like he likes in a community that loves him and he is comfortable in.

What if coach x came to Tech, built a program that contended nationally every year, got a huge salary boost, and, oh yeah, coach x decides he really likes city life, the local media coverage and his kids are happy in school?

What if Chadwell builds a dynasty at Liberty and they keep raising his salary?

I could go on but the point is things can change. If I didn’t believe that I would quit following Tech. I refuse to believe Tech will always get everyone else’s leftovers and rejects and any diamond in the rough we stumble into is gone in a couple of years.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow

Obviously you didn't comprehend my post so I'll explain it to you. I wasn't complaining about Chadwell being good enough to get other offers. I was stating that I would prefer someone who would be more likely to stay at Tech if they received better offers. You may want 2-3 years of success and then a program reset, but I dont. Im hoping Key does well enough to receive offers from the bigger schools because that means Tech is finding success on the field. I have a better feeling that Key would stay at Tech dispite those offers and build the program. One of the big knocks that many on this board had with Deion he wouldn't treat this job like a long term gig. Funny how that can be seen as a knock on Deion, but not on Chadwell.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I could go on but the point is things can change. If I didn’t believe that I would quit following Tech.
I think the reason most folks that have abandoned ship have given up hope that THINGS WOULD NOT CHANGE. It wasn't the triple option nor the many years of bad to atrocious defenses and multiple C's or the last disaster of a hire. Our more rational brothers and sisters figured out that the school simply no longer cared. Only a few thousand of us lunatics have clung on. Like you we all believed things would change. Of all the things I have been most excited over the last year or two is hearing commitment from above the head FC...at the AA and president's level.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do you think Key will stay at Tech making 3-4m if Bama or someone else offers him 8m/yr? Loyalty is only worth so much.

Chadwell would have gotten a larger salary than Key to come here, he was more qualified. But he would have had a smaller salary pool for his assistants - not a big deal, since he was planning to bring most of his assistants from CC anyway.
If Bama were throwing millions at my coach trying to steal him away, I have to believe I would be as giddy as a schoolgirl. :D

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Bama were throwing millions at my coach trying to steal him away, I have to believe I would be as giddy as a schoolgirl. :D
Yeah that would mean that we were mega-successful, i’ll tqke that scenario all day long, but I also feel quite certain that Bama will never hire away another GT head coach because of Curry.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Obviously you didn't comprehend my post so I'll explain it to you. I wasn't complaining about Chadwell being good enough to get other offers. I was stating that I would prefer someone who would be more likely to stay at Tech if they received better offers. You may want 2-3 years of success and then a program reset, but I dont. Im hoping Key does well enough to receive offers from the bigger schools because that means Tech is finding success on the field. I have a better feeling that Key would stay at Tech dispite those offers and build the program. One of the big knocks that many on this board had with Deion he wouldn't treat this job like a long term gig. Funny how that can be seen as a knock on Deion, but not on Chadwell.
See post # 191. Expecting Key to stick around if other schools come calling with several million more dollars than Tech is willing to match is wishful thinking and nothing more. In fact, like someone else mentioned, Chadwell is more likely to top out at a place like Tech regardless of success (short of winning a natty), because of the offense he runs. Key doesn't have that automatic mark against him, so showing success makes him more likely to get poached.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
See post # 191. Expecting Key to stick around if other schools come calling with several million more dollars than Tech is willing to match is wishful thinking and nothing more. In fact, like someone else mentioned, Chadwell is more likely to top out at a place like Tech regardless of success (short of winning a natty), because of the offense he runs. Key doesn't have that automatic mark against him, so showing success makes him more likely to get poached.
Believing that any coach is going to come to Tech and have them winning consistently is wishful thinking and nothing more, but we still do it. But it's MORE LIKELY that a coach at his P5 alma mater who has success isn't going to leave just for the money. Look at Mike Gundy, Pat Fitzgerald, and Frank Beamer, . As for Chadwell's offense, while it may be predicated on the TO, it incorporates enough elements of common college schemes that it's not going to hold Chadwell back. People were saying that the spread zone offense would prevent Urban Meyer and Rich Rod from getting bigger name jobs and yet they both got opportunities at the factories.