Brent Key is not the answer

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
How have some of the other coaching search targets done so far this year?

I saw Liberty is 6-0 with Chadwell, but they are easily the best funded program in C-USA by a country mile. Tulane also is rolling at 5-1, no idea how much of that team turned over from last year.
Liberty also is basically a juco for sec upper class man too so they have the talent

slugboy

Staff member

CEB

Helluva Engineer
QB make a HUGE difference in an offense. Tulane lost to Ole Miss with their QB out, but has bounced back nicely with him back in the saddle.
Tulane hasn’t lost again, but their “bounce back” wasn’t a huge leap. I am sure they are happy to have their starter back, but their backup had them playing toe to toe with Ole Miss for about 50 minutes. They’re putting more on the field than just a QB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tulane hasn’t lost again, but their “bounce back” wasn’t a huge leap. I am sure they are happy to have their starter back, but their backup had them playing toe to toe with Ole Miss for about 50 minutes. They’re putting more on the field than just a QB.
Seems that there is some kind of built in destain for Tulane. If I was a fan of theirs I would be proud of how feisty they are punching above their weight.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, Lane ( tall and king's time teammate of Qb) and Singleton ( Fastest) should be on field at same time.
Both are averaging big yards per catch. In 2 games lane has Since lane has been hurt, we have struggled in passing game.

Wonder why lane and Singleton are in same slot?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My memory of the 1985 GT-Auburn Game is that it was a hard-fought Defensive game with Ted Roof and the Black Watch Defense. Score was 14-10 in favor of Tech until late in the game.

Then Bo Broke a touchdown run of about 60 years to seal the game for Auburn at 17-14.

It was a pretty cold cloudy day and the Auburn Fans made sure to rub it in with their War Eagle chant on the way out of the Stadium.
They held Jim Anderson

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Well, let's see if they can corral the BC quarterback Castellanos (spelling?) That guy has more gears than a 16 wheeler.
This should be our defensive plan for the week.

Whale Shark Ok GIF by Shark Week

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let me preface this by saying that I understand why we hired Key and I'm sure he'll be successful at Tech. Further, I've been a huge fan of his ever since his playing days.

That said, I would have hired Chadwell. Liberty is now 7 - 0 after a real nail biter with MTSU. The Flames had 541 yards of total O in that game, 401 rushing/140 passing. They held the ball for 37 minutes v 22 for MTSU. And this is all out of a shotgun spread. I think we would have won against both BGU and Louisville if Chadwell was our coach.

But … he isn't and I'm content with our ultimate choice. We'll win with Key. It may take a little longer, but it will happen. Imho, of course.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He’s kinda “tied” for the starting QB job, but he seems like the “1a” option

I don’t think 1(a) and apparently not even 1(b) anymore.

From the article;
Haarberg has thrown for 477 yards and 4 TD and 1 INT. Also 51 rushes for 270 yards and two touchdowns.

Jeff Sims has thrown for 220 yards and 1 TD with FOUR INT. He has run 30 times for 156 yards and one touchdown.

I think the stats in this article are from BEFORE the Illinois game….
Last week Haarberg did most of his damage running, but Sims does not even show up in the box score.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Let me preface this by saying that I understand why we hired Key and I'm sure he'll be successful at Tech. Further, I've been a huge fan of his ever since his playing days.

That said, I would have hired Chadwell. Liberty is now 7 - 0 after a real nail biter with MTSU. The Flames had 541 yards of total O in that game, 401 rushing/140 passing. They held the ball for 37 minutes v 22 for MTSU. And this is all out of a shotgun spread. I think we would have won against both BGU and Louisville if Chadwell was our coach.

But … he isn't and I'm content with our ultimate choice. We'll win with Key. It may take a little longer, but it will happen. Imho, of course.
So I go back and forth on this. Liberty is way more talented vs. their conference peers. I think it's hard to evaluate how he would've done here since he wouldn't have had the relative talent disparity.

I have no clue, just speculating. It would've really annoyed some people around here but Gus Malzahn on a cheaper contract wouldn't have been the worst outcome, same offense as Chadwell to a degree

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

C-USA is a joke of a conference that had to invite FCS teams just so they’d have enough to play a season. Liberty is far and away the most talented team in that conference, and their SOS is 123rd in the country. That doesn’t mean Chadwell is not a good coach, I was firmly on the Chadwell train after we fired Collins last year. But to take his success at Liberty this year and try to compare it to Key’s season at Tech is not really fair at all. In terms of the ACC, Chadwell going to Liberty would be like him taking over at Clemson or Florida State this year. If he would’ve come to Tech it would’ve been a completely different story.

Key and Tech definitely should’ve won the Louisville and BG games, but also very easily could’ve lost against Wake Forest and Miami. I suspect Chadwell would have a very similar record as Key through this point in the season, but I think Key is a way better long-term option than Chadwell would be.