Brent Key Introductory Press Conference

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know whether to be proud that our coach is committing himself to such a drive or whether to be disappointed that he had to provide money to reach the target.
My guess, it was more symbolic. From the sound of it, we were going to hit it. I’m sure Key was going to donate anyways, and it definitely sounds good that he asked to meet the target. The man sounds to be doing everything right so far.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think some will agree to disagree that Collins said almost the right things at his intro presser but we quickly learned that he couldn't follow though.

Key whether or not you thought he was the right guy, feels like the right guy for this school. He understands this school far more than other candidates, has the right intensity, isn't egotistical like Collins or deon and just seems to get it.

I really do hope he succeeds and really enjoyed hearing his passion and passion to beat "the other school"

We have a new era starting today and it actually feels good

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think some will agree to disagree that Collins said almost the right things at his intro presser but we quickly learned that he couldn't follow though.

Key whether or not you thought he was the right guy, feels like the right guy for this school. He understands this school far more than other candidates, has the right intensity, isn't egotistical like Collins or deon and just seems to get it.

I really do hope he succeeds and really enjoyed hearing his passion and passion to beat "the other school"

Yeah, a lot of us gave Collins a chance and hoped for the best, but I also remember a good many fans saying he was a used-car salesman right off the bat. I think a lot of people recognized early on that he really wasn’t saying anything of substance, that he presented no plan or concrete ideas, just coach speak and buzz-words.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, a lot of us gave Collins a chance and hoped for the best, but I also remember a good many fans saying he was a used-car salesman right off the bat. I think a lot of people recognized early on that he really wasn’t saying anything of substance, that he presented no plan or concrete ideas, just coach speak and buzz-words.

I have a much better feeling about the direction of our program after watching Key's press conference than I did 4 years ago after watching Collins' press conference.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

The “right” thing to say is subjective. The difference I noticed was that Collins spat out buzzwords like a resume filter and promised the moon. Key seems to be more frank about things and gives pretty direct answers. He gives the impression that understands how difficult the job is and knows that we all need to roll up our sleeves and get to work doing things the right way rather than the easy way or the quick way.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I have a much better feeling about the direction of our program after watching Key's press conference than I did 4 years ago after watching Collins' press conference.
I was one of those who thought TFG was a used car salesman right out of the gate. And I will admit that CBK was not my first, or even second, choice for the head coach position. That being said, I like what I hear and I truly hope CBK can deliver results that match his intensity and enthusiasm...

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Reporter: 'What's your offensive identity going to be?'

TFG: 'NFL, Prostyle, multiple spread, exciting, fast, tight ends!'

CBK: "I know exactly what the offense should look like... I'm not going to get into schematic things, Xs and Os, things like that. It's about understanding what your personnel is and what's the best way to have your personnel you currently have to be successful."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

The difference is that Key has already shown he can communicate and fix errors that have occurred, as well as build on positives. Collins never changed his rhetoric or his talking points from his introductory press conference no matter what happened. He was saying the same things after his opening day loss against Clemson in 2019, the loss against The Citadel in 2019, the win against Miami in 2019, signing a top 25 class in 2020, the loss to close out 2020 against Pitt, 2021 win against UNC, losing the last 2 games of 2021 by a combined score of 100-0, a 42-0 blowout loss to Ole Miss, and his last game against UCF this year. Everything Collins said happened was “elite” and at a “high level.” There we’re never any changes on the field or in his demeanor. He never focused on the football, gave insight as to what went wrong, or even highlighted things we were good at.

Key on the other hand, has been able to identify problems, and work to have them fixed on the field. Our QB and OL play against Miami was atrocious, so what happened? He gave play calling duties to Weinke and we went on the road and beat a ranked UNC. Then we played probably our best half of football all year against the #1 team in the country at UGA. We faded down the stretch, but I’ll be damned if we didn’t come out ready to play.

Collins may have said the “right” things from the get-go, but he never made any adjustments to his rhetoric or coaching. Collins was focused more about what he said that what he did. Key is the opposite. He is focused on doing the right things, and he’s smart enough and capable enough as a communicator to be able to speak about those things at press conferences when speaking to fans and the media.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have said it before, and will say it again. If you can't find a reason to support CBK then you are not a fan of what this place (The Institute) is about.

There were many different directions we could have gone and I understand why people campaigned for other options - but now that we made this hire it's time to rally the troops.

I can't be more excited to help push/pull this program to where we want it to be. CBK's performance during the interview process and the way he handled the uncertainty involved - shows an iron clad commitment to the Institute. MaTech will be served well by all of us matching his consistent and intense love of this place.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like what we did with Zach and Taisun to beat ranked unc on the road. So not just lip service.
Every press conference from Key, he sounds like he's a real person just talking straight out of his own actual thoughts. Collins would always steer every question back to his canned responses and pepper in "elite", "unbelievable", and "high level" and hope he talked long enough to make you think he answered the question.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Still listening to it, but I am ready to run through a brick wall! He is knocking it out of the park!

Dr. Cabrera has the wrong shade of gold on. IMHO That said, Coach Key had the right idea about UGA. No prisoners, no mercy, we are not like them, we have nothing in common with them and have no interest in their national title asperations beyond rooting against them.

Last edited:

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know whether to be proud that our coach is committing himself to such a drive or whether to be disappointed that he had to provide money to reach the target.
This might have been structured as part of Key's comp package. Key gets money from Tech, Key donates said money back to Tech and then gets to deduct for tax purposes as charitable donation. Just a guess...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Deion’s intro at Colorado was all about Deion. What all Deion is going to do. How big of a difference Deion is going to make. About how it’s a privilege to play for Deion.

Brent Key’s intro at Georgia Tech is all about Georgia Tech. What Georgia Tech is going to do to get back to winning ways. How much of a special place Georgia Tech is. The identity of Georgia Tech football is going to be hard work and quiet confidence.

2 drastically different approaches, we considered both. I think I prefer the latter.
Well, I much prefer Coach Key's emphasis on Georgia Tech but I can kind of appreciate Prime Time's approach given it is Colorado and if anything very few of their players are Power Five quality. Can't say I blame him for being brutally honest.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
This might have been structured as part of Key's comp package. Key gets money from Tech, Key donates said money back to Tech and then gets to deduct for tax purposes as charitable donation. Just a guess...
Great idea! We should hire him as a Professor of Practice for $20MM a year and have him donate back $15MM per year to the GTAA. Brilliant way to move money across the boundary :)

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Well, I much prefer Coach Key's emphasis on Georgia Tech but I can kind of appreciate Prime Time's approach given it is Colorado and if anything very few of their players are Power Five quality. Can't say I blame him for being brutally honest.
Being honest is fine. Doing in front of the nation, effectively embarrassing those young men in front of everyone, was unnecessary and shows a lack of compassion and wisdom.