Brent Key Introductory Press Conference

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well, I much prefer Coach Key's emphasis on Georgia Tech but I can kind of appreciate Prime Time's approach given it is Colorado and if anything very few of their players are Power Five quality. Can't say I blame him for being brutally honest.
It has nothing to do with their existing players and whether or not they are P5 quality. My point is that Deion wanted his press conference and intro to be all about himself. He doesn’t care about Colorado, their traditions, their fans, and obviously not their players. He could be at literally any school, because it’s not about the school, it’s about Deion.

The point is that Brent Key cares about Georgia Tech, and he will die everything in his power to benefit Georgia Tech and positively impact the future trajectory of Georgia Tech. Deion only cares about Deion, and he will do everything in his power to benefit Deion. If he has to tear down Colorado football in order to do that, he will. Brent Key would never intentionally do that to Georgia Tech.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, a lot of us gave Collins a chance and hoped for the best, but I also remember a good many fans saying he was a used-car salesman right off the bat. I think a lot of people recognized early on that he really wasn’t saying anything of substance, that he presented no plan or concrete ideas, just coach speak and buzz-words.
It should be noted that the said "coach speak" and buzz words from a master used car salesman was parlayed into a score that even the best con artists can only dream about. That said, I supported Collins for longer that most because I wanted to buy into the whole 404 hype and getting better players. Silly me. Football is a brutal business that soon reveals smoke and mirrors and the grifters who use them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, a lot of us gave Collins a chance and hoped for the best, but I also remember a good many fans saying he was a used-car salesman right off the bat. I think a lot of people recognized early on that he really wasn’t saying anything of substance, that he presented no plan or concrete ideas, just coach speak and buzz-words.
They were right and I was wrong...again. According to my wife, an all to frequent occurrence. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
there is no doubt he has the intensity to change the culture to demand best efforts with the prize to win. we will still be out manned by some of our opponents but that could certainly change over time. I think the team will run through brick walls for him
I cannot speak for others but my desire is for our boys to play hard, have fun, graduate, and win ball games. I am pretty sure that based upon what I am hearing that Coach Key was the right man for the job. Are we going to be a perennial top 20 team? Probably not. Are we going to be a team that other schools' coaches will look at and go "Lord Jesus, not those guys again" Absolutely.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have said it before, and will say it again. If you can't find a reason to support CBK then you are not a fan of what this place (The Institute) is about.

There were many different directions we could have gone and I understand why people campaigned for other options - but now that we made this hire it's time to rally the troops.

I can't be more excited to help push/pull this program to where we want it to be. CBK's performance during the interview process and the way he handled the uncertainty involved - shows an iron clad commitment to the Institute. MaTech will be served well by all of us matching his consistent and intense love of this place.
Damn straight...Lord forgive me in my exuberance.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
THIS is why Brent Key will be a great football coach for Georgia Tech. This isn’t coach speak. This isn’t trying to relate to a new fan base. This isn’t trying to build hype or excite. This is just him being who he is. A proud Georgia Tech alum who wants the best for this program:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Those that panned Collins before the first game had zero idea he would fail, only that they didn't like his first sales pitch.

BTW, I'm glad he's gone.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This might have been structured as part of Key's comp package. Key gets money from Tech, Key donates said money back to Tech and then gets to deduct for tax purposes as charitable donation. Just a guess...
J batt said "we're going to give you a chunk of money and we expect you to give it back so that you look good"? Am I right?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They laughed at our offense under CPJ a lot. They stopped laughing when we hired TFG.

Ok ... just so I'm caught up, which one's 'TFG'?

So far when I see it, I wanna laugh. But not laugh so hard that one-a the cool kid asks me, 'what TF you laughin' at.' Know what I mean?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It has nothing to do with their existing players and whether or not they are P5 quality. My point is that Deion wanted his press conference and intro to be all about himself. He doesn’t care about Colorado, their traditions, their fans, and obviously not their players. He could be at literally any school, because it’s not about the school, it’s about Deion.

The point is that Brent Key cares about Georgia Tech, and he will die everything in his power to benefit Georgia Tech and positively impact the future trajectory of Georgia Tech. Deion only cares about Deion, and he will do everything in his power to benefit Deion. If he has to tear down Colorado football in order to do that, he will. Brent Key would never intentionally do that to Georgia Tech.
I was initially gung-ho for Deion just after Geoff was canned, but upon reflection I backed away from him principally for the reason bolded above.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed.

Do you see it?
That was not the first thing to come to mind watching Coach Key. I have this uncanny feeling that in SOME ways he reminds me of Coach Pat at Pitt. I watched some of Pat's press conferences following our games with Pitt over the years and Key is the same kind of no nonsense sort. On one of those candid, anonymous coach quotes that Athlon puts out every year. An ACC coach said of Pitt. They are a rough bunch. They will fight you on the field, in the locker room and on the way to the bus. They get that personality from Pat. That is kind of how I envision Tech taking Coach Key's personality and making it their own. Physical, disciplined, tough. Could be worse, a whole lot worse.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I was initially gung-ho for Deion just after Geoff was canned, but upon reflection I backed away from him principally for the reason bolded above.
I think had Deion been in the same situation in 2018 after Paul retired as he is now, it would’ve probably been a really good idea to go after him hard. He’s basically the Gucci version of Geoff Collins (or you could say GC is the Great Value version of Deion). We would’ve had more money and more flexibility had he not worked out here. His sort of self promotion would have without a doubt changed the perception of Georgia Tech football, and there would’ve been more substance there than we got out of Collins.

But after 3+ years of incompetence and tearing our program down, Deion was way too big of a risk for us to take. Especially with our financials the way they are. We needed someone who was going to provide some stability and get us out of the dumpster. Key will be able to do that, the fact he loves GT as much as he does is just an added bonus. I think Key is a great leader and a great coach that players love. We’ll see if he’s able to parlay that into more national prominence by competing for conference championships at some point in the future. But we just couldn’t afford another failed experiment at the moment. I don’t know if Deion will fail at CU, but I do know he’s a way riskier hire than Key is.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Former Guy = Collins

I Know Of Course GIF by Yevbel