Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was against hiring Key as HC or OC, but I'm perfectly fine with bringing him in as OL coach+.

That said, as @dressedcheeseside intimates, he'll definitely have to answer or atleast address the anti-GT recruiting trail stuff.

He only has to answer to TStan, CGC and the team. He owes us nothing.

It seems as if some folks don’t understand the business Brent is in.

All that being said - I will take Key over Sewak any damn day.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed 100% (girls will always be available for "jocks"), but still not 65% female population like some college campuses right now.
It's closer now to 65% than ever before. I think Tech is now at or above 50% female and that's outstanding.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Remember this: https://gtswarm.com/threads/recruiting-roundup-two-weeks-to-nsd.1731/

Mike Rogers got a visit last night from CAM and Paul Johnson...he posted on Twitter that his visit went well. From what I am told he is really torn right now. Brent Key from UCF will be coming by to see him tonight. Key is former Tech player and is really selling negative against GT and how hard the academics are. Rogers is the key UCF commit and they are really going all out to keep him...Rogers still needs a SAT/ACT score to qualify. I was told from someone very close to Rogers is that he wont make his final decision until NSD....I am wondering when Rogers will take the SAT or ACT...The results wont be back till after NSD now.​

If he sold against Tech by saying the academics are too hard, then he is in agreement with much of this board who think we can't recruit 4/5* players because of them. But I'm sure that he is already working on his new pitch to show what an advantage the GT education will be.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
If he sold against Tech by saying the academics are too hard, then he is in agreement with much of this board who think we can't recruit 4/5* players because of them. But I'm sure that he is already working on his new pitch to show what an advantage the GT education will be.

The more i read about Brent Key, the more I love this hire. I think CBK being a Tech grad, and smart, understands what all great leaders do... that your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness. Tech's strength is its academics, the networks and the reputation of the Institute, it should be a plus, but we have allowed it to be a negative for far too long. To me GT has always used it as a crutch as to why we can't do something, instead of getting recruits to believe that they can. I think CGC and CBK understand this.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Some acknowledgement of his abilities as a coach and recruiter in there, and some sour grapes about his departure.
It's reasonable to wonder why he would move from Alabama to GT.

However, the answer is probably fairly simple. Your scope for growth in the Alabama staff is probably highly limited. And you will not get as much credit for what you do at Alabama than you would elsewhere, since the focus is always on the fact that you have the best athletes, and the best HC in the industry. And finally as someone pointed out working with Nick Saban is probably not possible for more than a few years.

I suspect most of Alabama's staff chooses to move out every few years. With a friend and colleague assembling a great staff at his alma mater, moving to GT with Coach Collins sounds like a great idea.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
As much as I'd like Clemson to win, it might be better for us if the Bama OL dominates and the ESPN guys talk about how great they've been coached by Key.
I thought the exact same thing last night. Come Monday, I will be staring at bama’s O-line all night against Clemson front 7

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
It's reasonable to wonder why he would move from Alabama to GT.

However, the answer is probably fairly simple. Your scope for growth in the Alabama staff is probably highly limited....

....With a friend and colleague assembling a great staff at his alma mater, moving to GT with Coach Collins sounds like a great idea.

Exactly.

If Brent has aspirations of becoming a HC one day, he was essentially in a well respected, high profile, highly compensated, dead-end job at Bama.

Saban has shown time and time again that he will go outside the program for OC hires so how was Brent ever going to move up?

SO GLAD he's back on Techwood Dr!

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought the exact same thing last night. Come Monday, I will be staring at bama’s O-line all night against Clemson front 7
Don't watch too hard or you will come to the realization that GT's OL probably doesn't measure up yet. I can hear CBK's sales pitch to prospective OL players. "If I could get those doofuses from Alabama to the NFL, think what I can do with a smart guy like you."

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Don't watch too hard or you will come to the realization that GT's OL probably doesn't measure up yet. I can hear CBK's sales pitch to prospective OL players. "If I could get those doofuses from Alabama to the NFL, think what I can do with a smart guy like you."
Oh yeah lol I realize we have a long way to go. But still I can observe lol

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I was against hiring Key as HC or OC, but I'm perfectly fine with bringing him in as OL coach+.

That said, as @dressedcheeseside intimates, he'll definitely have to answer or atleast address the anti-GT recruiting trail stuff.

How and why? What is this he must pay for his recruiting sins attitude come from? Whatever Key said is no worst than the same stereotypes of own fans peretuate daily. Hell even, TStan wants to remove “I Got Out” from the GT lexicon f

Status
Not open for further replies.