Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Guys - this is a dumb argument. Alabama is one of the poorest states in the country. What do you eat when you are poor? High sugar / carb diets. Combine that dynamic with the south’s fixation with sweet tea and bbq. So yeah, there are bound to be some porkers in one of the country’s poorest / fattest states. With that said, most bama girls I know are smoke shows.

Bama dance team is definitely a top 5 program.

Animal02

Banned
This is 100% true and destroys a lot of people's excuses about top athletes not being able to get into Tech. You need not look at our commits to determine it, you need to look at our offers. We offer the best in the nation, we just haven't landed them for a decade. Kills the narrative wouldn't ya say?
Nope. The limited academic offerings is the first hurdle. (and the largest) Second is academic rigor....you have to find kids willing to put in the work to stay eligible. Not all are interested in "playing school" After those two big hurdles.....then comes admission requirements.

Milwaukee

Banned
Nope. The limited academic offerings is the first hurdle. (and the largest) Second is academic rigor....you have to find kids willing to put in the work to stay eligible. Not all are interested in "playing school" After those two big hurdles.....then comes admission requirements.

Completely agree. Not sure what you guys are missing. And we still haven't landed the studs that have qualified that were targeted.

Moot point though, no facts are going to change your opinion. And that's okay.

Animal02

Banned
Completely agree. Not sure what you guys are missing.
Getting guys to come to Tech is a three legged stool.....Several posters always focus on the admissions portion, saying "look, they are eligible, it was the coaches fault" and pretend that the lack of majors is a non issue. Your post came off similar even if not intentiobal. ;)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't in a violent decline, it was more of a slow bleed. The gap between us and the elite has never been wider in my lifetime. But it's not like we were headed to 0-12, Paul would've kept us competitive with our normal conference schedule (minus Clemson). The past 2 seasons were the 1st time we've ever came out of the tunnel and I knew we had no chance in hell vs Clemson and UGA. It's going to take years to close that gap.

My understanding is that, in addition to what you are saying, TStan was forced to look at some more pragmatic issues as well. Things like recruiting going forward (it was going to stay about where it was), donation questions he was getting from big money boys, ticket sales questions he was hearing from people that could, literally, no longer watch us lining up in the same O time after time and getting pounded by puke. Not trying to be overly specific, but commenting on things I have heard from a friend who is, indeed, what we all might consider a big money person. (A building on campus has his family name on it). And hiring another HC running the 3O was not in the list to encompass “Innovation”.

Anyway, I just think there were specific things outside of what is being discussed here that TStan had to consider.

Regardless, whatever Key did at GT, or said about GT in the past means nothing. It is a great hire and what matters is what he does now at GT.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We also get guys who would have gotten higher ratings if they had played the star game system more. Parker Braun and Will Bryan should have been consensus 4 stars. And would have been if they had “drawn out” their commitments.

Just one of the problems focusing over much on “stars.”

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
As regards having a schedule like puke u, I think they open with bama in 19. But generally speaking, they do like to play lace.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We also get guys who would have gotten higher ratings if they had played the star game system more. Parker Braun and Will Bryan should have been consensus 4 stars. And would have been if they had “drawn out” their commitments.

Just one of the problems focusing over much on “stars.”
What's the point of playing the star system? If a young man gets an offer to play for school he wants,does his star ranking matter? Should it matter?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree. Not sure what you guys are missing. And we still haven't landed the studs that have qualified that were targeted.

Lets not judge on this recruiting class he came in late and honored the commitments. Be a judge on next year recruiting class and how they coach .

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Ding, ding, ding!

Not sure why people don't understand this. It's like they think we never recruited or offered those players.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sick of hearing about people ***** and moan about losing to “Puke.” “Puke” has put a lot of money into their program (more than GT) and has a lot going for it as a institution.

Don’t get me wrong, losing to them annoys me, because, well, losing is annoying. But it doesn’t annoy me anymore than losing to any other ACC team.

I’m willing to bet the CGC loses to “Puke” at some point during his tenure. But it won’t annoy me more than any other loss.

Living in Texas, you hear fans of Big 12 teams moan about losing to Baylor... Well, guess what... Baylor isn’t the same program as it was 30 years ago. They have a beautiful stadium, a nice campus, hot girls, and hell, Waco is a lot better and has a TV show that’s made it kinda fashionable.

Animal02

Banned
I think stagnant would probably be the better, more fair (especially for CPJ defenders) word.

Truth is it's not far off what we've been the last decade, just with a couple peaks and valleys past those first couple CPJ years.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"
Someone likes to cherry pick the stats.....2015 was obviously an anomaly, mostly because of injuries. Adding in 2014 corrupts the narrative. I think you are correct, we were sort of stagnant/ treading water......which was quite the feat considering how badly we were losing the $$$$ wars.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
There is going to be a huge let down for most of us if this Key thing does not happen, including me. Make sure you keep enough spirits around to drown your sorrows in case it tanks.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.