Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It wasn't in a violent decline, it was more of a slow bleed. The gap between us and the elite has never been wider in my lifetime. But it's not like we were headed to 0-12, Paul would've kept us competitive with our normal conference schedule (minus Clemson). The past 2 seasons were the 1st time we've ever came out of the tunnel and I knew we had no chance in hell vs Clemson and UGA. It's going to take years to close that gap.

Dude....you ain’t that young! :p

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok. So I’m not a huge Key fan because I believe the “rumors.” But I’m okay with a lateral transfer. It does speak well of him to come over from Bama and shows he may not be the mercenary I painted him to be. Plus @vamosjackets vouched for him and that carries weight for me also.

He will either have to show the rumors were false, overblown, or mischaracterized. Either that or prove he’s such a good recruiter he can overcome having that used against him.

Will be interesting to see how he’s ranked as a recruiter two years from now.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not entirely, because even if we had a standard CFB offense some guys may still not want to come just because we don't have what they want to major in. The limited number of majors IS a limitation, although I suppose you could couch that as, "we don't offer much, but what we do offer we're the best at!" I certainly agree that the previous offensive style limited our recruiting from a small pool to an even smaller one.

As I said in a different post - a smart, 4* LB might want to major in film and video production or criminal justice because he wants to make documentaries about racial injustice. Does he come here, or does he go to to FSU (which has a good criminal justice program, presumably with real-world experience keeping football players out of trouble!)?

Again ... this is why I would stress that we need to go national with our recruiting. Those kids who want to major in STEM stuff or business management/liberal arts-ish degrees AND are talented athletes are out there ... we just need to find them. Collins' crew already has roots in the Northeast, South, and Texas. That's a great start! Having some Cali/West Coast representation wouldn't hurt, either. He will definitely benefit from the expanded recruiting crew and extra $$$ TS is getting. I would really make some salient points about why we need to do this but I'll probably offend half the board so I'll refrain. :ROFLMAO: Instead, I'll tell you a story.

I went to an acupuncturist yesterday. Old Chinese guy, held my hand, tapped my wrist, felt my pulse and put his finger on my palm:

Chinese Acupuncture Master: "Did you run track in high school?"
Me: "Yes. How did you know?"
CAM: "You have very good circulation still at your age." (I'm in my 40's). "Where did you go to college?"
Me: "Georgia Tech"
CAM: "Ah, very excellent school!"
Me: "When did you come to the US?"
CAM: "Many years ago, but I've only lived in Portland."
Me: "And you know Georgia Tech?"
CAM: "Who does not know this excellent school?"
[true story, word-for-word convo]

So even this old guy ... who spoke broken English ... who has only lived in China and Portland ... knows GT. Our reputation is almost revered outside of the southeast.

It sounds like you get it. We're on the same page.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to have to respectfully flat out disagree with that first point. CPJ goes after the same 5 star QBs (see: DeShaun Watson, Justin Fields, Tua Tagovailoa, Jameis Winston, etc.) that all the big schools do. He goes after the same 5 star RBs, WRs, OLs. Heck, he even offered a 5 star TE a couple of times. CPJ says all the time that if you're good enough, the NFL will find you. Same thing with recruits, elite players fit into any system...it's a matter if those elite players WANT to play in your system.

Those elite guys did not. Calvin Johnson is on record as saying he probably would not have chosen GT if the spread option was here during his recruiting days.
You speak the painful truth.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Well, his story did have a happy end to it

200w.gif

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
bet a lot of money GT would be highly successful going forward in the short term because we had 2 special QB's coming up (Graham and Yates), which is really all it took for CPJ's program to go up to that level in the great years.
2015 had a pretty special QB as well. One who had taken us to and won us an orange bowl. Yet 2015 was the worst year in Tech history for decades.

While a change in QB could have led to more success, I don’t think there is any definitive evidence that would be the case. A new QB would not improve the defense 1 bit and would not lead to the rules which have hurt Tech football being changed.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
2007. I'm still waiting for the naysayers to explain to me how that class happened if we 'can't do this and can't do that'.
Agree Madison. The 2007 class happened because of Geoff and Giff Smith. We can do that. We go to Pennsylvania for DLmen etc. Just need a few linemen that can pass calculus. We can do that. I’m estatic with the potential this staff brings.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree Madison. The 2007 class happened because of Geoff and Giff Smith. We can do that. We go to Pennsylvania for DLmen etc. Just need a few linemen that can pass calculus. We can do that. I’m estatic with the potential this staff brings.
On the grad transfer portal - #78 for uva starting r guard.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it is a good hire.
However, what will he be able to do, to not only recruit , but make sure these 6'5 350lb lineman can even qualify academically ?
How is his recruiting MO any different than what we have experienced?
I realize it's all about presentation, but still, you can't polish a turd.

No sweat, Milwaukee says we just have to offer and they will be able to qualify and most of them will much rather come to GT and bust their balls in class rather than chase beautifull coeds around the grove in Oxford.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
24-25 over the last 4 years is a simple fact. It’s the worst 4 year stretch since Bill Lewis was roaming the sidelines. Trying to spin that as anything other than a program on the decline is just not reality to the average on looker. I get this board was great during the Johnson years. Many very knowledgeable posters provided great insight into what we were doing and it really galvanized this board behind the coach. I think many are having a tough time letting go on this board.

Man. Speak the truth brother.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't in a violent decline, it was more of a slow bleed. The gap between us and the elite has never been wider in my lifetime. But it's not like we were headed to 0-12, Paul would've kept us competitive with our normal conference schedule (minus Clemson). The past 2 seasons were the 1st time we've ever came out of the tunnel and I knew we had no chance in hell vs Clemson and UGA. It's going to take years to close that gap.

CGC is going to keep us very well ahead of duke, pitt, and miami. Mark my words.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
24-25 over the last 4 years is a simple fact. It’s the worst 4 year stretch since Bill Lewis was roaming the sidelines. Trying to spin that as anything other than a program on the decline is just not reality to the average on looker. I get this board was great during the Johnson years. Many very knowledgeable posters provided great insight into what we were doing and it really galvanized this board behind the coach. I think many are having a tough time letting go on this board.
I think stagnant would probably be the better, more fair (especially for CPJ defenders) word.

Truth is it's not far off what we've been the last decade, just with a couple peaks and valleys past those first couple CPJ years.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Status
Not open for further replies.