Breakout Season?

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
The season is still months away, but what might be the ceiling this year? Playing with house money at this point, so no wrong answers.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll try to put on a pair of gold tinted glasses and give best case scenario, in which... Sims makes a quantum leap in his reads and progressions, our OL stays serviceable and generally healthy, we get some DL pressure from White, and the secondary goes from worst in CFB to below average to average.

We start 2-2 in first 4 (no way we do better than that - I think UCF is more doable than Ole Miss). We go 2-2 in the next 4, beating Duke and either FSU or UVA - not beating Pitt on the road. We go 1-3 in the last 4 - and that's going to be tough - Miami is the best non UGA of the 4 and I struggle to see a W at Blacksburg so I guess we break Mack Brown's heart. It's a revenge game for UNC so that would be a surprise.

Best case / ceiling for me is 5 wins. I can't see a path to more than that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have my ceiling at 8 wins (including a bowl game). I think we have a puncher's chance at the pieces coming together. We have a new OC who isn't going to ride or die with QB1, and we have seen some actual depth pieces brought in there.

We have a RB room that replaced JG (tough to do) but I believe the running back by committee approach has a shot here. We also have legit targets at TE and WR now.

The question mark for me and most others around here is the OL gelling. In the lack of information I skew positive, no reason to be down in my feelings preseason. We are undefeated with this staff and squad.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The D is still a big question especially with neophyte Thacker as DC. We need playmakers on the DL and not sure who they are. Ivey and Donineck leaving doesn't help.
On O the key IMO is how well Sims can handle beating someone in the backfield if blocking breaks down. He is athletic enough to beat one on one most of the time but must stay healthy. The OL has to be solid without huge breakdowns. Sims worked a lot on quick passes in the spring game. That can help the OL with not having to hold blocks as long and keeps the LB's honest.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When I look at the schedule I keep seeing 6 wins as the max regular season number.
I have serious worries about both lines. Without significant improvement from both getting to 6 wins is very unlikely.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think we have better coaches now. I believe Long will force the offense to play better. However, for some reason we still have Thacker. 5 wins, but we play competitively in most of our games.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
As per normal .I'm waiting til Sept to see who ACTUALLY is going to play (injuries, transfer, quits,etc) before I venture a guess.The scary part is if ANY of the key players in ANY!!! position group goes down ,we are in bad bad shape.Can you think --Sims,Smith, Walton, Thomas,Kennard,Williams, etc

slugboy

Staff member
8-bit animation GIF

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I agree with 2-4 wins but it is just way too early to tell. My guess is largely based on the transfer portal losses and the fact that we’ve had three three-win seasons in a row and lost our last two games 100-0. Hard to be optimistic but I’m looking for any reason to be optimistic.

We will know what we have at the end of game two. If we stay within 3 TDs of Clemson and beat WCU by 3+ TDs I will believe that we have turned the corner.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with 2-4 wins but it is just way too early to tell. My guess is largely based on the transfer portal losses and the fact that we’ve had three three-win seasons in a row and lost our last two games 100-0. Hard to be optimistic but I’m looking for any reason to be optimistic.

We will know what we have at the end of game two. If we stay within 3 TDs of Clemson and beat WCU by 3+ TDs I will believe that we have turned the corner.
I hear you, and generally agree. But I can't remember the last time we lost a game by 17 and I didn't feel like we were clobbered. Regardless of opponent, even Clemson.