Breakout Season?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I'm more worried about the DL than the OL, certainly questions about both, but I'm getting the summer "opti's" as usual thinking we might surprise with 6 wins or better. If it wasn't for the DL questions, I would say the defense would be a big surprise, I just don't think we yet have what we're trying to get to in the trenches. Thacker may surprise us and be a much better DC this year, able for the first time to run what he and CGC came here to run defensively or at least part of it. We shall see.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just want to see breakout coaching this season specifically game plan preparation and game management. Woefully bad in the past.
I don't see a lot of difference in player performance (other than Gibbs) so I expect the same level of performance there. I hope the current group of kids has a burning desire not to lose and will give their best effort every play. That's all anyone can ask of them.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I still fear the breakout has to be coaching more than players. We have been so poorly coached over 3 years, IMO, that for any players to have break out seasons will require a step up in putting them in position to make plays. I am fairly confident Chip can make progress with the offense, but that's only about 30% of the game.
Defense, special teams , clock management, game plan and adjustments in-game, clock management , and pregame preparation all have to "breakout " to make any significant change in our trajectory.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still fear the breakout has to be coaching more than players. We have been so poorly coached over 3 years, IMO, that for any players to have break out seasons will require a step up in putting them in position to make plays. I am fairly confident Chip can make progress with the offense, but that's only about 30% of the game.
Defense, special teams , clock management, game plan and adjustments in-game, clock management , and pregame preparation all have to "breakout " to make any significant change in our trajectory.
I 100% agree that it seems that we've been poorly coached. As @Ibeeballin has said, the players have to make the plays they've been taught and trust the system they're in. If the coaching is poor, it doesn't matter how good the guys play, we'll still come out on the losing end. The good thing about this year is it'll get better or it'll get changed.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think this team will go bowling. Based on everything I’ve heard Sims has made huge strides as a leader and Chip Long has simplified things between the ears for Sims pre snaps. Myles Sims and Derrick Allen both looked very very good in camp and should have breakout seasons. Keion White could legitimately finish with 8+ sacks minimum, he’s our best defensive linemen on campus in a long time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think this team will go bowling. Based on everything I’ve heard Sims has made huge strides as a leader and Chip Long has simplified things between the ears for Sims pre snaps. Myles Sims and Derrick Allen both looked very very good in camp and should have breakout seasons. Keion White could legitimately finish with 8+ sacks minimum, he’s our best defensive linemen on campus in a long time.
You never know - I think we have reason to hope for improvement in enough areas of the team (especially coaching) that it could all come down to the offensive line as the make-or-break point.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Did this just turn into the excitement thread? All of a sudden, I’m pumped!!

GTBlaze

Banned
I honestly haven’t heard much of anything coming out of camp. I listen to 680 for the tech update and they really have nothing to say because they don’t really have any news. I love how the staff has just been tight lipped so far this season

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I honestly haven’t heard much of anything coming out of camp. I listen to 680 for the tech update and they really have nothing to say because they don’t really have any news. I love how the staff has just been tight lipped so far this season
Hope that the current "less hype,more football" bears seriously good fruit.

JacketFan137

Banned
I have my ceiling at 8 wins (including a bowl game). I think we have a puncher's chance at the pieces coming together. We have a new OC who isn't going to ride or die with QB1, and we have seen some actual depth pieces brought in there.

We have a RB room that replaced JG (tough to do) but I believe the running back by committee approach has a shot here. We also have legit targets at TE and WR now.

The question mark for me and most others around here is the OL gelling. In the lack of information I skew positive, no reason to be down in my feelings preseason. We are undefeated with this staff and squad.
i’m not a fan of the mentality people have when it comes to sims acting like collins and patenaude were the only reason he played and they were afraid to bench him cause he was there guy. in the first two years of sims career he was still substantially better than the qbs we have on the roster. nothing about what we’ve seen from guys like graham and yates indicated they were in any way capable of performing better. i think the takeaway now should be there are actual competitive options at the position so they actually CAN bench sims should the need arise.

there was even an article on JOL last year that said we had to severely limit the playbook when sims wasn’t in because the other options didn’t have the tools to run the same plays