Breaking News!! Artificial Turf

THWG

Helluva Engineer
There are other ways of indicating where they can and can't stand than screwing up the look with mixed color schemes. Put a blue stripe at the 15, but keep all the rest white. It would just look a helluva lot better. Clemson doesn't seem to have a problem with that. Why should we?
1340x1020.jpg

Clemson has theirs in orange, but it's a different color than the endzone which is probably required by NCAA rules.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I'd say reversing the colors or making the middle gold and outside white would be better. But it's being curmudgeonly about the colors. The field looks great!

There are other ways of indicating where they can and can't stand than screwing up the look with mixed color schemes. Put a blue stripe at the 15, but keep all the rest white. It would just look a helluva lot better. Clemson doesn't seem to have a problem with that. Why should we?
It appears from photos of Death Valley, the cesspool, and BDS, that the "reserved" area of the field must always be white (although that area in both Death Valley and the cesspool) only extends to the 25 yard lines, not the 15 yard lines. The remainder of the outline in Death Valley is orange, and the remainder of the outline in the cesspool is red. So, unless some kind of recognizable marking is placed at the end of that area, I can see that the remainder of the outline could not be white. If that's the case, then I say make it gold, but definitely not blue.

1599153706138.png
1599153706138.png

and the cesspool ---

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It appears from photos of Death Valley, the cesspool, and BDS, that the "reserved" area of the field must always be white (although that area in both Death Valley and the cesspool) only extends to the 25 yard lines, not the 15 yard lines. The remainder of the outline in Death Valley is orange, and the remainder of the outline in the cesspool is red. So, unless some kind of recognizable marking is placed at the end of that area, I can see that the remainder of the outline could not be white. If that's the case, then I say make it gold, but definitely not blue.

View attachment 8879View attachment 8879

The NCAA extended the player area this year to allow more distancing. That is the reason that the old pictures they extend to the 25, but this year they extend to the 15.

I believe the border color has to be different than the end zone color. Therefore, I think the choices would be to have the border in blue and end zone in gold, the border in gold and end zones in blue, or to have the border in gold and the end zones not painted except for lettering.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 8879View attachment 8879
It's the 15 yard line this year because of Covid. It allows the teams to spread out a little more on the sideline.

I also am guessing that the border around the endzone has to be a different color than the endzone itself so that the officials can determine if a guy is in or out of bounds. If we went with a regular "grass" endzone like Clemson does in the picture, then we could probably outline it in gold. I know you hate it, but with the gold endzone, blue is the only color that they could put there.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA extended the player area this year to allow more distancing. That is the reason that the old pictures they extend to the 25, but this year they extend to the 15.

I believe the border color has to be different than the end zone color. Therefore, I think the choices would be to have the border in blue and end zone in gold, the border in gold and end zones in blue, or to have the border in gold and the end zones not painted except for lettering.
It always amazes me how many freaking designers we have on Tech boards. In all probability none of this will be consistent game to game so be ready to whine about colors all year.

It's the 15 yard line this year because of Covid. It allows the teams to spread out a little more on the sideline.

I also am guessing that the border around the endzone has to be a different color than the endzone itself so that the officials can determine if a guy is in or out of bounds. If we went with a regular "grass" endzone like Clemson does in the picture, then we could probably outline it in gold. I know you hate it, but with the gold endzone, blue is the only color that they could put there.
Is the area for the players and coaches required to be white? It would appear from the other two nearby schools that that might be the case. And if that is the case, then, yes, the remaining border would have to be something different. So since I LOVE the gold endzones, I guess we are stuck with blue.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Is the area for the players and coaches required to be white? It would appear from the other two nearby schools that that might be the case. And if that is the case, then, yes, the remaining border would have to be something different. So since I LOVE the gold endzones, I guess we are stuck with blue.
I think that it has to be white. I'm watching Syracuse and Pitt from last year right now and Syracuse has white where the teams stand.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I think the rest of the border could just be unpainted, but I think the blue looks better than just plain grass.

BTW, is the overhead shot an actual picture or is it Photoshopped? The actual picture from beside the stadium shows the goal posts and no stinger seats. The overhead picture has no goal posts, no band platform, and stinger seats on the seats. I think it is a picture that someone had of the stadium and digitally edited the field.

EDIT: The alternating shade of green in the grass is different also. The picture looking into the stadium has darker grass from 0-5 and lighter grass from 5-15. The overhead shot has light grass from 0-10 and dark grass from 10-20.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the rest of the border could just be unpainted, but I think the blue looks better than just plain grass.

BTW, is the overhead shot an actual picture or is it Photoshopped? The actual picture from beside the stadium shows the goal posts and no stinger seats. The overhead picture has no goal posts, no band platform, and stinger seats on the seats. I think it is a picture that someone had of the stadium and digitally edited the field.

EDIT: The alternating shade of green in the grass is different also. The picture looking into the stadium has darker grass from 0-5 and lighter grass from 5-15. The overhead shot has light grass from 0-10 and dark grass from 10-20.

Definitely shopped. Not a real photo.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Just don't understand why they have to have blue borders for the endzones and out to the 15 yard lines. A white border completely encircling the field would make the entire playing surface really pop out. The blue is just blah.
Like seriously why not just make it Gold end zones and white borders? I don’t get it lol but I do think if that’s the look that it looks fine

Like seriously why not just make it Gold end zones and white borders? I don’t get it lol but I do think if that’s the look that it looks fine
Apparently the white border can't be used if it doesn't allow a distinction between the white players/coaches area and the rest of the field. But as the photos I included above show, a THIN white border will work, as long as it's a different width than the players/coaches area.