Brandon Gaudin is leaving

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Best wishes and congratulations to Brandon. Each time I have meet him he is genuine and friendly.

Glad for him to be able to show his wares at GT and be able to move up the broadcast ladder. Sucks for "us" because we got lucky not to get a "stinker" when Wes also left for greener pastures.

Actually we've done well after AC retired. Hope that tradition continues.

You, ah, I am guessing here, most likely never heard, ah, bob McCann?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Totally forgot about him calling GT games. Lived in Raleigh at that time and probably only heard portions of his GT broadcasts.

All in all he's a good guy that still gives GT a fair shake, imo.

Yeah, I am sure he really is, and I was being a little sarcastic.

There is one thing I will never be able to forget him saying however - "Look, we all love Mark Price, but there is just no way he will ever be as good a pro player as Steve Alford." Yowzah!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is a BIG BIG difference from doing color to doing play-by-play. I would love it if Roddy was the man, but I just don't think he has the experience.

I'm not advocating for Roddy, just stating that one of GT's main voices didn't have that much of a background calling games. Brandon Gaudin, if you recall, had only experience calling basketball games for Butler before coming to GT. Roddy is pretty versatile himself, cutting his teeth calling baseball games for ESPN. He has also been working regionally for ESPN.

Of course, the job Brandon is vacating is more than just football, and you can argue it's one of the more high profile GT sports jobs since they are basically the voice of GT.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think Woody Durham has another kid, Taylor, who is at Elon. Lets give him a call. That family has some serious chops!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your conclusion, but your comparison is poor at best.

Why is that a poor comparison? I was referring more to the timeframe before he was the Charlotte head coach. People want Roddy because he is a Tech man, knows our offense, is well respected by all in the GT community, and has proven so far to be pretty good at his job. However he doesn't have the experience necessary. People want(ed) Price because he is a Tech man, knows what it takes to be successful here, is well respected by all in the GT community, and has proven so far to be pretty good at his job (small sample size at UNCC but did well in the NBA as a coach). However he doesn't have the experience necessary. What is erroneous there?

Last edited:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why is that a poor comparison? I was referring more to the timeframe before he was the Charlotte head coach. People want Roddy because he is a Tech man, knows our offense, is well respected by all in the GT community, and has proven so far to be pretty good at his job. However he doesn't have the experience necessary. People want(ed) Price because he is a Tech man, knows what it takes to be successful here, is well respected by all in the GT community, and has proven so far to be pretty good at his job (small sample size at UNCC but did well in the NBA as a coach). However he doesn't have the experience necessary. What is erroneous there?
Roddy has no play by play experience while Mark has coaching experience.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
David Hubbard. I hope he will be considered. GT grad, local guy, loves the Jackets, was considered last time I believe. He has some radio experience and is very involved in the local Atlanta area sports talk scene.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
David Hubbard. I hope he will be considered. GT grad, local guy, loves the Jackets, was considered last time I believe. He has some radio experience and is very involved in the local Atlanta area sports talk scene.
I didn't know he was a GT grad. While on the air around ATL I thought his delivery was rather dull for radio but I think we went to do Furman's P-by-P a few years back.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
AJC update - link with more in depth. Might be behind paywall...
Gaudin said he will regard his tenure in the seat made great by Durham and Al Ciraldo before him “as fondly as you can possibly view your time at Tech. I love it here, I really do.”

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Gaudin said he will regard his tenure in the seat made great by Durham and Al Ciraldo before him “as fondly as you can possibly view your time at Tech. I love it here, I really do.”

Am I the only one who hears, "as fondly as you can possibly view your time at Tech" as bad? I have a feeling that people today don't appreciate why we said, "I got out"

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who hears, "as fondly as you can possibly view your time at Tech" as bad? I have a feeling that people today don't appreciate why we said, "I got out"

The average person probably wouldn't think of it like that, but a Tech grad might think of it that way. It wasn't my first impression of the quote, yet I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member