Bracketology - Let's Do This

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Question: Since we finished 4th in the ACC this year, does that mean we get to play a team other than Nebraska or NW in the ACC Big Ten challenge next year?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That's what's frustrating about college ball, outside of generational big name guys like Zion Williamson, nobody pays attention to who you might be playing without. It's an automatic, you lose and the ACC is overrated because their champ got booted in the 1st round.

Deleted member 2897

That's what's frustrating about college ball, outside of generational big name guys like Zion Williamson, nobody pays attention to who you might be playing without. It's an automatic, you lose and the ACC is overrated because their champ got booted in the 1st round.

Yep it’s crazy. They disrespect and underrate you. Then give you a bad seed and make you play a highly ranked team that was ranked all year. That highly ranked team finishes at least in the top 16 - right where they’ve been consistently ranked. But somehow we suck because we lost to a top 15 team without the conference player of the year. You have to bend over backwards and service yourself to try and make an argument like David 🤡 Teel just did.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we all know the ACC was down this year, but the narrative that annoyed me and I think a lot of people here was that the Big 10 was so much better than everyone. That blowing up is great and it helps my no big 10 teams to the elite 8 bracket. I thought the big 12 was the best conference , but the conference doing the most for itself is definitely the PAC-12. They look a lot better than I expected. I know not all of their matchups have been crazy yet and the UCLA over BYU win is the most impressive win for more so far. I was hoping to tell more with VCU/Oregon but that didn’t happen. USC vs Kansas will be interesting. Kansas is trying to slog out of their covid situation, so USC has a big advantage with Mobley and Kansas missing guys. I think if Kansas makes it by USC and gets back to full strength only Gonzaga will be able to stop them and they’re a lot better than when they first played Gonzaga.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pairings for the ACC/B10 challenge are based on expectations of how the teams are going to be that season. So unless multiple seniors come back for us I would expect us to be picked to finish low in the conference and get a lower tier B10 team.

I can't remember which article it was I linked, but one of them did complain after the brackets that came out that the Loyola-GT matchup was a great matchup for the first round, but it was a crummy matchup for the 2 teams because both were capable of making Sweet Sixteen runs but one was going to be out after day 1.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not over this either.

My lesser angels want to see entire regions collapse because of protocols. I don’t want anyone sick I just want enough of a disruption that talking heads will have to admit that their narratives aren’t working, that some seeds were bad, and that they made way too much over their metrics measuring team strength.

This was definitely the year Covid messed with perceptions and the best teams were overlooked in favor of certain narratives. The only exception would be Gonzaga, who everybody got right. Every other team was picked by a Ouija Board.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I've watched Kansas a little this year and they look to have everything but three point shooting. Don't know if that is an real Achilles Heel for them or just a poor sample size to make the false impression.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Pairings for the ACC/B10 challenge are based on expectations of how the teams are going to be that season. So unless multiple seniors come back for us I would expect us to be picked to finish low in the conference and get a lower tier B10 team.

I can't remember which article it was I linked, but one of them did complain after the brackets that came out that the Loyola-GT matchup was a great matchup for the first round, but it was a crummy matchup for the 2 teams because both were capable of making Sweet Sixteen runs but one was going to be out after day 1.
I was hoping to finally get a non-basement dweller from the big 10 next year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching Gonzaga's offense last night was like watching a master at work - even though they were playing a really overmatched team.
They are so efficient and patient. They just keep moving the ball around until they get a good look.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching Gonzaga's offense last night was like watching a master at work - even though they were playing a really overmatched team.
They are so efficient and patient. They just keep moving the ball around until they get a good look.
someone on twitter yesterday posted a stat about the # of games gonzaga has played this year that finished in less than 2 hours. cant recall the stat, but it was a lot of games.

Deleted member 2897

someone on twitter yesterday posted a stat about the # of games gonzaga has played this year that finished in less than 2 hours. cant recall the stat, but it was a lot of games.

Almost all their games were over 10 minutes in.

Deleted member 2897

The Big Ten has already been upset 4 times. They are down to 2 teams left lower than an 8 seed. Absolutely hilarious.

Maryland, Rutgers, and Wisconsin face a 2, 2, and 1 in this current round of games. The Big Ten could be out 7 of their 9 teams after the very first weekend.