Bracketology - Let's Do This

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I still think we need one win in the ACCT...but maybe that’s just GT fan paranoia. But if we lose to the 12/13 seed (assuming we don’t get the double bye) I’ll be worried on Selection Sunday. I think if we get the double bye and lose to the 5 we’ll probably make it. It’s not a sure thing though

There is no way an ACC team with a double-bye (4th in the regular season) is getting left out of the dance.

I think folks may be surprised where we get seeded.

/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I really do wonder how we would be seeded if we went on a run to win the ACCT.

When UConn went on their miracle run they ended the season 21-9 overall and 9-9 in conference. They were a 3 seed. Now they did beat 4 ranked teams in a row, were in a stronger conference, and didn't have the 2 bad OOC losses. Still, if we went and say beat Clemson, UVA, and FSU to win the ACCT I could see us getting up to a 6 seed or something.

Lets hope we get to find out.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone already researched the lowest NCAAT seed a double bye ACC team has received?
I did a quick Wikipedia check and the lowest since they've been doing the double bye was a 6 seed which happened 3 times. When there was only a single bye for the top 4 in the 2012-2013 season, Virginia finished 4th in the conference and didn't make the tournament.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

When UConn went on their miracle run they ended the season 21-9 overall and 9-9 in conference. They were a 3 seed. Now they did beat 4 ranked teams in a row, were in a stronger conference, and didn't have the 2 bad OOC losses. Still, if we went and say beat Clemson, UVA, and FSU to win the ACCT I could see us getting up to a 6 seed or something.

If you review our ACCT runs from 2004 & the Favors year, you'll have your answer. We're starting from a better spot this year though.

Deleted member 2897

One time 4 ACC teams tied for first at 12-4. We were next and didn’t get in to the NCAAT. That’s was some stupid ****.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A 5 seed and a 10 seed? That clarifies things.
Sounds about right. I think we were a bubble team/projected late seed in 2004 before getting far in the ACCT, losing to dook. I think the Favors year, we were projected as out until Favors put us on his back to the ACCT title game.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

I think our ceiling is a 5 seed as an 18-8 ACC Champ riding a 9 game win streak if everything breaks perfect with the ACCT SOS you proposed and other fringe Top 20 teams losing.

ACCT wins...seed window depending on ACCT SOS (IMHO)

0...10/11
1...9/10
2...8/9
3...5/6/7

slugboy

Staff member
Right now, most of the solid brackets I see out there have us as an 11 seed. There are still some good ones that don’t have us at all (basically a “first 4 out” forecast), but almost all have us in.
At a 9, you’ll see some teams like St. Bonaventure. There are some really good looking teams right ahead of us in the 9-10 seeding:

I’m hoping for us to get at least a win in the ACC Tournament, to play good and look good, and have a couple of teams in front of us falter. Some of the teams right around us are UNC, Louisville, UCLA, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, and Seton Hall. Let’s keep our fingers crossed,.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right now, most of the solid brackets I see out there have us as an 11 seed. There are still some good ones that don’t have us at all (basically a “first 4 out” forecast), but almost all have us in.
At a 9, you’ll see some teams like St. Bonaventure. There are some really good looking teams right ahead of us in the 9-10 seeding:

I’m hoping for us to get at least a win in the ACC Tournament, to play good and look good, and have a couple of teams in front of us falter. Some of the teams right around us are UNC, Louisville, UCLA, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, and Seton Hall. Let’s keep our fingers crossed,.

That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing. Could you explain how the cut guy gets so open. Is just people collapsing on the blade? Somehow it looks like there’s more to it than that, like the defensive mistake starts much earlier. Anyway, that’s cool to analyze.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s really cool. Thanks for sharing. Could you explain how the cut guy gets so open. Is just people collapsing on the blade? Somehow it looks like there’s more to it than that, like the defensive mistake starts much earlier. Anyway, that’s cool to analyze.
helpside defensive responsibilities. that "veer" is proceeded by a ghost screen. from the weakside low defenders perspective, it appears as tho St. B is about to run a PNR between the PG and the 5-man, which likely sucks in or freezes the weakside low defender to help/tag on the upcoming "roll" that never actually happens because its really just a ghost screen.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds about right. I think we were a bubble team/projected late seed in 2004 before getting far in the ACCT, losing to dook. I think the Favors year, we were projected as out until Favors put us on his back to the ACCT title game.
We were ranked 14th going into the 2004 ACCT. We weren't a bubble team. We won one game (over #5 UNC on Jack's jump shot) then lost to Duke in the semis. The ACC was loaded that year, with out of 9 teams in the top 20.

If you are thinking of 2005, we were ranked 25th and definitely not a bubble team. We did win 2 then lose to Duke in the final.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We were ranked 14th going into the 2004 ACCT. We weren't a bubble team. We won one game (over #5 UNC on Jack's jump shot) then lost to Duke in the semis. The ACC was loaded that year, with out of 9 teams in the top 20.

If you are thinking of 2005, we were ranked 25th and definitely not a bubble team. We did win 2 then lose to Duke in the final.
Because Joe Lunardi says we are a bubble team doesn't mean it's a fact.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Memphis is having all the breaks go in the wrong direction

watched this several times to diagnose the play design. best part is the BOUNCE pass to half court (combined with aggressive physical post up by the receiver). not sure if the bounce was intentional, but makes it so much easier to catch and make a move with that. probably depends on a cautious defender afraid to foul, but fairly decent chance of that in those circumstances.

tbh, not even sure inbounder intended the pass to go to that guy. the second curler was on his way and passer might have been bouncing it to him?

regardless, a bounce pass all the way to half court for a game winner is pretty awesome.