Bracketology - Let's Do This

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Phenomenal game. Just wish it went the other way. I am emotionally spent. That Clemson bank this season was hard enough, I can't imagine the feelings of it happening in the Final 4.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UCLA played an incredible game and Gonzaga still found a way to win.
UCLA shoots 58% from the field, 47% from three, outrebounded Gonzaa by 8, had 1 fewer TO and lost a heartbreaker.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I had not watched a single UCLA game all season until their First Four game against Michigan State. What a treat it has been to watch them...Johnny Juzang has had me jumping off my couch multiple times in the last few weeks. Have to wonder if they win this game with 80%+ of the stadium screaming for them in a non-pandemic year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would've been really cool to see a first four go to the championship game. Can't really complain too much though with the two teams that have clearly been the best two teams all year in the finals.

Gonzaga and Baylor were supposed to play each other in December but the game got cancelled. Now they meet in the Championship game. Should be an incredible game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was such a high quality game. Reminded me more of the games we would get in the late 80's, early 90's. Alot more free flowing, alot of defense beaten by fantastic offense.
What a fun game to watch.
If we can only be so lucky to get another game like that Monday night.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nate silver saying best/most iconic game since Duke/Kentucky 1992. I always wondered what watching that game was like , so I’m glad I got to see something close to it or being near it’s level. Suggs shot will be top 10 but top 4 if Gonzaga wins I feel like.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have no problem with Gonzaga playing Baylor for the championship. They are clearly the two best teams. What about playing basketball does Gonzaga not do extremely well? Everything they do is done extremely well, but the best thing is shot selection. They take two kinds of shots: threes and layups. And the threes are never forced. I wish my high school coach was still alive so I could call him and talk about shot selection. He would have loved this game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What about playing basketball does Gonzaga not do extremely well? Everything they do is done extremely well, but the best thing is shot selection.
Basketball played like that is glorious. And is not see much anymore. A minor quibble or perhaps semantics over their best skill....I would say ball movement. Which permits the shot selection you mention. My first time seeing them and it was indeed impressive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bound to be a let-down compared to Zags vs the Bruins. No way the championship game can match that game for high level of play and drama.

Agree. One of the best games I've seen as a college basketball fan. I wasn't rooting for either team and my stomach was in a knot watching the game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree. One of the best games I've seen as a college basketball fan. I wasn't rooting for either team and my stomach was in a knot watching the game.
I think the announcers alluded to this but this will rank up there with the Duke/KY game (Laettner's shot at the buzzer) as an all time classic.

It was so good that I stayed up past my usual bed time until the end. I will do that for a GT team but rarely, if ever, for 2 teams that I have no ties with, pro or college.

Coach Few's decision not to call a TO and set up a play was brilliant. Hated the outcome for the UCLA guys. They were ballers.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was so good that I stayed up past my usual bed time until the end. I will do that for a GT team but rarely, if ever, for 2 teams that I have no ties with, pro or college.
My body was saying, "Go to bed. I need the rest." But, mind was ignoring the pleas. I did not see or hear any of the post-game chatter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the announcers alluded to this but this will rank up there with the Duke/KY game (Laettner's shot at the buzzer) as an all time classic.

Coach Few's decision not to call a TO and set up a play was brilliant. Hated the outcome for the UCLA guys. They were ballers.

Worst case scenario for Few was his team would go into overtime. He put the ball in his best player's hands...and the rest is history. As you said, sometimes you just let the kids play and don't over coach them.

I agree about UCLA. Just one of those games you hated to see either of the teams lose. Both teams played hard, unselfish basketball, and both teams did the little things to help their team. I'm a big fan of UCLA's Tyger Campbell's now because of that game. Reminded me a LOT of Jose. Undersized guard that did everything he could to will his team to a win. Cronin had his guys playing good, unselfish basketball. Gonzaga came into the game with a 27 game win streak by double digits. UCLA made them claw and fight for every point.

Hats off to Gonzaga's Timme...he went up to each of the UCLA players and gave them a word of encouragement at the end of the game. Good sportsmanship right there when you know those UCLA players were devastated. Timme played his arse off, but he knew the other team did as well. LOVE seeing that kind of sportsmanship in any sport.