Bracketology - Let's Do This

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Piece 1 falls into place - Syracuse beats Clemson. Now if we beat Wake Forest we move at least onto 5th. If Virginia beats Louisville, we move into 4th. Virginia Tech tucked tail and run, so they likely hang on to 3rd despite only having 9 wins. (9-4 would get the higher seed over an 11-6 LOLOLOL)
If we get the 4 seed then we would not play til the quarterfinal round. The 5 seed we would play in 2nd round the winner of 12/13.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Probability wise, it’s looking like a toss-up for us between 4 and 5 seed ACC wise. Would be crucial to get that bye week in that game. Need to take care of business against Wake.

Deleted member 2897

Probability wise, it’s looking like a toss-up for us between 4 and 5 seed ACC wise. Would be crucial to get that bye week in that game. Need to take care of business against Wake.

If Virginia beats Louisville, its us and Clemson or Clemson and us. 1 team gets a highly likely first round ACCT win while the other gets help by playing against the team who just played the day before. Of course I'd rather skip a game and have a chance to get into the final 4.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That’s a lot of size for Moses to have to try and handle. Not impressed at all with USC’s perimeter play. Remind me, has GT ever played them? :)
I know the reference, but I also remember playing USC early in the season one night probably 15 years ago where Taj Gibson went off against us. I just remember the game being super late at night and the first time I’d heard of Gibson. One of those random games that sticks out over the years.

Deleted member 2897

Maryland lost again against a truly terrible team, and their ratings haven't hardly budged. They're still 28 in KenPom and only went from 28 to 32 in NET after losing to the #86 team. LOL. Because its the BigTen, it just means more. (And how a 7-14 team is ranked #86 is another story.) They're below 0.500 in conference play and last night was their 4th loss to BigTen teams with losing records.

Joe Lunardi just penned something saying Michigan State was on the right side of the bubble. They're even worse than Maryland - they're now at 8-10 in the BigTen and 72 in NET. How are teams like them said in the same breath as us? They have 8 Q1 losses and have a losing record against the top 100. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple mocks have Georgia tech playing USC in the first round. Would be a very interesting matchup. Moses would give Mob

That’s a lot of size for Moses to have to try and handle. Not impressed at all with USC’s perimeter play. Remind me, has GT ever played them? :)
GT beat USC in 1992 NCAA - James Forrest three at buzzer.
Also played them home-home a few years later - winning easy in Atlanta and losing in Los Angeles.

GT_EE78

Banned
I know the reference, but I also remember playing USC early in the season one night probably 15 years ago where Taj Gibson went off against us. I just remember the game being super late at night and the first time I’d heard of Gibson. One of those random games that sticks out over the years.
I was at that game.
In LA ,was my first time in USC's new arena.
John Salley had choice comments as he walked thru the smoking area

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Update 3/4:

KenPom: 30 (prev. 30)
NET: 38 (prev. 40)
Sagarin: 39 (prev. 41)
BracketMatrix: We're in 118 out of 131 brackets with a avg. seed of 11.03

We're about as close to a 11 seed lock as we can be. Just got to close out against Wake. There's a chance we move up to a 10 or 9 seed depending on ACCT and other teams.

Deleted member 2897

Update 3/4:

KenPom: 30 (prev. 30)
NET: 38 (prev. 40)
Sagarin: 39 (prev. 41)
BracketMatrix: We're in 118 out of 131 brackets with a avg. seed of 11.03

We're about as close to a 11 seed lock as we can be. Just got to close out against Wake. There's a chance we move up to a 10 or 9 seed depending on ACCT and other teams.

As others have said, if we're 35-40 and get seeded correctly based on that, we could be an 8 or 9 seed. That's probably the single worst set of seeds in the entire tournament. Literally anything better than that would be good. An 11 seed would put us against the following current 6 seeds: Florida, Virginia Tech (LOL), Oklahoma, and Creighton. Those are all 7 and 8 loss teams...just like us. The 3 seeds the winner would play next are Villanova (just lost a key player), Arkansas, Florida State, and Houston. Those would be tough games for sure, but all 2nd round games are tough. Winning a 2nd round game means you're one of the top 16 teams in the country.

GT_EE78

Banned
12/22/2008 we lost 76-57
I talked to D'andre Bell's dad as we stood in the beer line

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not believe we are a top team, but other than Gonzaga or Baylor I do not think there is a team in the country we cannot beat when we are playing well. I am not too concerned about our seeding. I see the benefit of of a 7 versus an 8 or 9, but I am OK wherever and whomever we play in the dance.

Last edited:

GT_EE78

Banned
bracketmatrix has us as an 11 seed
clem 6, Vt 8, NC/Lou at 10
we should pass a few of those after beating WF and a decent ACCT
I'm also good with any seed except 8 or 9