Bracketology 2024

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson was a NCAAT lock because of their OOC success. NET basically sets the conferences before conference play begins. Clemson was nothing special in ACC play. Clemson lost 3 of it's last 4 conference games to ND, Wake and BC, not impressive but they were considered a lock all season based on OOC play. That is the built in bias in the NET. Conference play is not nearly as important as OOC play.
I just don’t feel like that’s a big problem. If you beat 3 good OOC teams, that means you’re more competitive. Years ago, teams would play cupcake OOC schedules and get into the tournament by generally being .500 in conference (at least for the ACC). The arguments back then were all about OOC SOS to matter more. If that is the case, then that should raise the importance of early season games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t feel like that’s a big problem. If you beat 3 good OOC teams, that means you’re more competitive. Years ago, teams would play cupcake OOC schedules and get into the tournament by generally being .500 in conference (at least for the ACC). The arguments back then were all about OOC SOS to matter more. If that is the case, then that should raise the importance of early season games.
My view is the process has gone too far counting early season games. Yes we want teams to play good non conference games but it’s only 1/3rd of the season.

jeb84

Georgia Tech Fan
There should be some common sense rules to guide the selection committee. For example, only teams with winning conference records should be considered for at-large selections.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
There should be some common sense rules to guide the selection committee. For example, only teams with winning conference records should be considered for at-large selections.
Agree 100%. Mississippi St proved over a 10 week period that they are a below average SEC team. Below average teams in any conference should not be considered for the national championship tournament.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Mississippi St proved over a 10 week period that they are a below average SEC team. Below average teams in any conference should not be considered for the national championship tournament.
Below average teams in underperforming conferences should be excluded. Below average teams in over performing conferences need significant review for inclusion. It’s only fair.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought old-school big east basketball had left the world. Duke and Houston are proving me wrong. And for what it’s worth Duke is playing at least as good of physical defense as Houston is. Congrats to them
Duke has adjusted, but Snead being out has changed Houston.